Status: Ongoing, Slow Updates

First Impressions (James Norrington Series) (Book 1)

Chapter 4: Fear

A troubled frown was set across Elizabeth's face as she stood inside a dark, unfamiliar drawing-room. Her eyes focused on the roaring fire crackling inside the hearth of the fireplace in front of her.

She was lost in thought and barely aware of her surroundings while fear continued to grip her heart. Unbidden thoughts of the events during the voyage were playing through her mind like an unceasing melody trapped inside her head. Unable to stop herself from taking another look at the medallion hidden underneath her dress, she glanced around the room to make sure she was alone. Once satisfied no one would see her, she took hold of the gold chain around her neck and pulled it out. The skull grinning sinisterly at the trinket's center seemed to mock her as she gazed at it and thought of what might happen if anyone discovered its existence.

"I intend to see to it that any man who sails under a pirate flag or wears a pirate brand gets what he deserves. A short drop and a sudden stop."

The medallion would be enough proof for a man like James Norrington to accuse Will of piracy. He would surely come to the same conclusion she had, that he was a pirate or, at the very least, was associated with one. The skull etched on its surface mirrored the very symbol they sailed under—a Jolly Roger. Only a pirate would carry a medallion such as the one she now had in her possession. Furthermore, Will's clothing made it apparent he barely had a penny to his name. It was reasonable to believe that he must have stolen the medallion or a pirate gave it to him. How else could a boy in his position come to obtain an object made out of pure gold?

And yet, despite those undeniable truths, she couldn't help but feel in her heart as though he was innocent of any wrongdoing. His warm eyes and faint smiles didn't resemble those of a boy capable of the destruction she had witnessed. He had also felt unquestionable fear and concern over their wellbeing and used what was left of his much-needed strength to warn the crew about the pirates nearby. One would be hard-pressed to duplicate the desperation he exhibited at that moment if they had been pretending to be a victim. It was clear he wanted to do everything in his power to warn them and prevent them from experiencing the same fate. He wished to protect them.

The last thing she wanted was Will to be accused of piracy when he'd done nothing wrong; that would be unconscionable. She couldn't explain why or even how he'd obtained the pirate medallion, but she was positive he wasn't to blame for what had happened. If he had been one of the pirates who attacked it, he would have been on the ship she saw sailing away in the fog. Instead, he had become one of the many victims left to die after their brutal onslaught. She couldn't allow anything to happen to him.

Now, more than ever, she wished Aeliana was there to confide in. She was the only person who would understand, the only one who would listen. Without a doubt, even if Elizabeth tried to defend Will, Norrington's reaction would not be a favorable one. She couldn't trust that her father would listen to reason either. She had to keep Will's secret, whatever it was, safe. His very life depended on it.

A flash of white light illuminated the room then vanished as quickly as it came before the sound of booming thunder reverberated through the manor moments later, startling her. She whipped her head over to look towards the nearest window, the sound reminding her of cannon fire.

Water coated its surface as the torrential downpour coming from the dark cloud-filled night sky drenched everything in its wake. Elizabeth walked over to the large window and stared out into the darkness that shrouded the area. She could barely make out the horse-drawn carriages turning off the dirt road and entering the estate one by one. The small lanterns their driver used to light their way, giving away their locations.

Curious about the proceedings, she watched each coach slowly become more visible as it approached the manor until it stopped near the front doors. Unable to identify anyone as they emerged from their carriages, she eventually lost interest and went to turn away. Before she could, she spotted a man wearing a navy uniform from the corner of her eye as he left his carriage and came into view. She turned her gaze toward him, fearing the worst and hoping she was seeing things.

A feeling of dread consumed her when her suspicions were confirmed. It was a man from the navy, and not just any man; it was Lieutenant James Norrington. Captain Saunders and Lieutenant Groves were also with him.

She quickly tucked the medallion underneath her dress in fear of him catching sight of it, her thoughts once again on William and his safety.

"You're being unusually quiet, Lizzie. What's troubling you?"

Elizabeth's eyes widened in surprise before she spun around to face the owner of the voice. Her eyes instantly landed on a pale-skinned nine-year-old girl with long curly and wavy brown hair standing on the other side of the room. Aeliana was studying her closely with her comfortingly hypnotic eyes as if she could see right through her. It wouldn't surprise Elizabeth if she could. Aeliana was far too observant and had always had the uncanny ability to read her and others like an open book.

"Aeliana," Elizabeth called out in relief as she rushed over and hugged her.

Her wish had been answered. Aeliana was finally here.

Her dear friend embraced her with just as much enthusiasm. "Hello, Lizzie."

"I missed you."

"And I, you."

The two girls held each other close until Elizabeth broke their hug. Aeliana gave her a welcoming smile before deciding to grab her hand to pull Elizabeth over to the small couch directly in front of the fireplace.

"I know something's on your mind," Aeliana said as she sat down, still holding Elizabeth's hand. "Tell me."

Elizabeth stared at her patient, but expectant face as she took the spot next to her. "I'm afraid."

"Afraid?" Aeliana replied with concern in her eyes. "Did something happen on your way to Port Royal?"

She nodded as she reached up to the chain around her neck for the second time that evening and revealed the medallion. Surprise, confusion, and curiosity flowed across Aeliana's face as she took hold of it to inspect it closely.

"A pirate medallion?" she whispered.

"A boy named William Turner had it around his neck when we rescued him from the water, and I grabbed it before anyone noticed it. We discovered him and his ship that had been attacked by pirates on our way to Port Royal. He was the only one left alive."

Aeliana's eyes shot up to meet Elizabeth's chocolate brown ones. "Do you think he's a pirate?"

A second flash of lightning filled the room, quickly followed by another loud rumble of thunder.

"No," Elizabeth replied with certainty in her voice.

"Then we must protect him by ensuring no one finds out about the medallion," Aeliana said with determination in her voice. "I won't allow an innocent person to be hanged."

Elizabeth's shoulders relaxed as she gave her a small smile. "I knew I could count on you."

The door to the drawing-room creaked open as Aeliana opened her mouth to reply. Panic flowed through Elizabeth as she hastily hid the medallion underneath her dress once again. She pretended as if nothing was amiss as she stood and looked over at her father as he stepped into the room. He opened his mouth to speak before a bewildered expression appeared on his face when his eyes landed on Aeliana, who was still sitting on the couch.

"Aeliana?"

A bright smile came to Aeliana's face as she stood and walked over to him. "Weatherby," she said, hugging him tightly. "I missed you."

His confusion shifted to joy as he wrapped his arms around her and smiled down at her warmly. "And I missed you."

The corners of Elizabeth's lips turned upward as she stared at the sight before her. Everything was as it should be. Aeliana was finally back home, with her and her father, right where she belonged.

Weatherby was the first to break their embrace as he looked down at Aeliana. "What are you doing here?" he questioned.

"Lizzie needed me."

It was a notably cryptic reply, and yet both Swann's readily accepted it as fact and didn't question it. Somehow her response was enough to satisfy them.

"Well then, since you're here, would you care to join us?"

"Join you?"

"We're hosting a party in celebration of our arrival to Port Royal."

"So you can meet anyone of importance in the area and introduce yourself as the new governor?" Aeliana asked knowingly.

Weatherby nodded as he offered her his left arm.

"All right," Aeliana agreed, taking hold of it.

"Elizabeth?" Weatherby asked as he offered her his other arm.

She nodded and walked over to take it before he led them out of the room. They were silent as they made their way down the candlelit gallery and approached the closed door at the opposite end. The moment they stepped through the threshold, she could see a large entrance hall with a marble staircase leading up to the second floor. Weatherby guided them through the surprisingly empty room until they stopped within an archway directly across from the front doors to the manor.

The room on the other side was an elaborate ballroom with intricate gold and white crown moldings on the high ceiling and its edges. A beautiful, newly painted mural was located at its center. Soft golden light bathed the room from dozens of candles on the wall candelabras' and crystal chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. At the base of each chandelier was a detailed medallion that added to the aesthetically pleasing look of the ballroom.

Unidentifiable men and women were scattered across the spacious room dressed in their finest brocade silk dresses and overcoats, hoping to impress their present company. At the center of the room, many skirts fluttered and twirled as couples danced to a haunting and tragic tune that Elizabeth knew but couldn't place. She recognized a handful of lieutenants from the voyage among the dancing couples or groups conversing at the edges of the room. Several already had glasses of wine in their hand, fully prepared to lower their guard and enjoy the evening. Each of them wore their best naval uniform and powdered wigs to proudly display their allegiance to the king, their duty to the crown, and their status in society. Lieutenant Norrington was the only one amongst them with a dark brown wig.

"What's he doing here?" Aeliana asked, clearly displeased by his presence in the room.

Her reaction instantly made Elizabeth recount the peculiar conversation between them.

"What if the person being accused of piracy has done nothing wrong?! Would you still kill them then?!"

"There are no good pirates, Miss—?"

Until now, she hadn't thought much about their interaction or Aeliana's reaction to his words. She and her father had been more concerned about what awaiting them in Port Royal and dwelling on the fact she wasn't with them. However, now that she was here, Elizabeth couldn't help reflecting on it because of her current circumstances.

The intense anger and passion Aeliana displayed in response to his words had taken her just as aback as everyone else. It was the first time she'd ever seen her react to anyone in such a way, let alone someone she just met. His careless words seemed to unleash a barely controlled rage that had been hidden deep within her. And she knew that Aeliana must have had cause to react the way she had, or else she wouldn't have become so enraged or spoke with such conviction.

Elizabeth could always sense there was more to her dear friend than met the eye. The way she spoke of certain things had made her wonder if she somehow knew more about the ways of the world than Elizabeth could fathom. Now, without the benefit of a doubt, she knew it to be true. The questions Aeliana posed to Norrington in her fit of unexplainable rage were more than just the musings and imagination of a child—they had become Elizabeth's reality.

"I invited him," Elizabeth's father replied.

"Why? He's barbaric."

Before Elizabeth's father could reply, Captain Saunders approached them.

"Governor," the captain greeted with a polite nod.

"Good evening, Captain Saunders," her father greeted with a smile.

"How has Port Royal been treating you and your daughter?"

"Quite well, thank you."

Captain Saunders glanced down and caught sight of Aeliana, who was still practically glowering at the man that had become a thorn in her side. Curious to find out what or who she was staring at, he turned his head and realized her eyes were narrowed in on Lieutenant Norrington.

"Who are you, miss?" Saunders asked Aeliana in confusion. "I don't recall seeing you in Port Royal."

"Aeliana Lovelace," she replied without so much as a glance toward him.

A hint of recognition appeared on Saunders' face before amusement soon followed. "That explains it."

"Explains what?" Aeliana asked, finally looking up at him.

"I heard about your argument with James from a few of my men. Your reputation seems to precede you."

Norrington chose that moment to look over at them. Surprise and recognition appeared on his features as his eyes landed on Aeliana. His lips moved as he uttered something to himself, causing Lieutenant Groves to look over at him with curiosity and then at Aeliana. Aeliana chose that moment to stick her tongue out at Norrington as her nose wrinkled in displeasure. He could only stare at her, aghast by her blatant dislike for him. Groves failed to hide his amusement as he attempted to conceal the smile that threatened to appear on his lips and said something. Norrington looked over at him with a pointed stare.

"Aeliana," Elizabeth's father lightly chastised.

Aeliana turned her head away from Norrington as she stuck her nose into the air. Elizabeth watched her with amusement before deciding to let go of her father's arm to step over to her.

"Let's dance."

"Dance?" Aeliana asked with an incredulous expression plastered on her face. "Are you trying to make a fool of me?"

They both knew Aeliana wasn't the best dancer. She was rather clumsy and awkward even during her lessons.

"You know me better than that. Besides, when did others' opinions of you matter to you?"

Aeliana looked at her with uncertainty for a moment, then hesitantly nodded her head before Elizabeth grabbed her hand and pulled her toward the dance floor. Elizabeth noticed Norrington watching them, mostly Aeliana, just as he had the day they met. The two girls curtsied to each other as they joined the other dancing couples before trying their best to follow their movements.

"Miss Lovelace?" a man asked once the dance ended.

The two girls stopped and looked over. Lieutenant Groves was standing next to them with a mischievous smile on his lips.

"Yes?" Aeliana asked in confusion. "Who are you?"

"Lieutenant Theodore Groves," he replied with a polite bow.

"You're part of the navy?" she asked with a frown, noticing his uniform.

He gave her a questioning look. "I am."

"Are you of the same opinion as Norrington?"

His smile returned as a playful twinkle came to his eye. "I prefer to agree with you in the suspicion that he's secretly a pirate."

She paused, giving him a look of surprise before a mirthful laugh escaped her lips. "You do?"

"I do," he replied with a nod as he offered his hand. "Would you mind if I had this dance with Miss Lovelace, Miss Swann?"

"Of course not."

Aeliana looked at her for a moment, then hesitantly took his outstretched hand. "Be warned that I'm a terrible dancer. I'm likely to trip over myself."

"Then I'll just have to catch you before you fall."

"Are you one of those men that charms every woman he sees?" she asked, her eyes narrowing as she gave him a look of suspicion.

A bright smile appeared on his lips. "No, merely a gentleman."

Elizabeth walked to the edge of the room and watched as the two danced with each other. Aeliana's head was bowed as she stared at the floor with her eyebrows furrowed in concentration, attempting not to trip or step on Groves' toes. Amusement was etched on Groves' features as he conversed freely with her.

In passing, Elizabeth had once thought the two would have been able to get along if they met despite their different personalities. Howbeit, she never realized it would be this easy. They were acting as if they'd known each other most of their lives. The fact Aeliana was able to take a shine to him with so little effort made her feel a small amount of relief. Aeliana wasn't usually one to open up to strangers easily. Before the voyage, Elizabeth had worried over Aeliana's wellbeing. She didn't know how she would fair without her and her father around to keep her company. As far as Elizabeth knew, they were the only ones Aeliana was close to. This gave her hope that she would one day meet someone who might be able to break her out of her shell.

"I wasn't aware Miss Lovelace accompanied us on our voyage," Lieutenant Norrington said from her left.

Her eyes widened in surprise as she turned her head to gaze up at the man now standing beside her. His eyes were still focused on Aeliana, whose laugh carried through part of the room as she reacted to something Groves had said.

He was the last person she wanted to be next to.

"She didn't," Elizabeth replied, hiding her nervousness with a neutral expression. "She's here because I needed her."

Norrington looked away and gave her a perplexed look. "Needed her?"

"I'm afraid that is of little concern to you, sir," Aeliana said with displeasure, cutting into their conversation.

They turned their eyes toward her as she and Groves stepped over to them. Aeliana grabbed her hand and gave Norrington a guarded expression.

"I have upset you once again, Miss Lovelace?"

"You merely stated what kind of man you are during our previous conversation. I do not wish to associate myself with someone who can speak so carelessly of killing another. Your conscience leaves much to be desired."

Norrington stared at her, flabbergasted by her blunt reply.

Groves gave a faint smile as he clapped his friend on the back. "I can assure you, Miss Lovelace, he's a good man."

Aeliana looked at the two men in front of them closely, clearly skeptical.

"Lizzie, let's go," she finally said. She turned her gaze back to Groves and gave a curtsy as she spoke. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Lieutenant Groves."

"The pleasure was all mine, Miss Lovelace," Groves replied with a bow.

Aeliana began pulling her away without another word and headed straight towards the exit of the room.

"She certainly is something," Groves commented.

"So it would seem."

"Who was that?" Elizabeth heard Lieutenant Hayden say in confusion as another flash of light from outside lit up the room slightly from nearby the windows.

The response was drowned out by another loud boom of thunder as it rumbled through the manor.

She wasn't aware of what happened immediately after. The scenery went entirely black until she found herself standing in a large bedroom. Aeliana was nowhere to be seen, and the undeniable void that had been temporarily filled by her warm presence was there once more. Somehow she knew she wouldn't be seeing her dear friend again for some time, no matter how much she wished it. The harsh reality left her feeling vulnerable and fearful. She now had to fend for herself without Aeliana by her side to aid and protect her.

Estrella, the Swann's maid, silently walked into the room with her head bowed and began to prepare the room for the night.

She was an average-looking woman of just as average height and build. Everything she wore was plain and unembellished, as was the norm for people in her class and profession. Her dark brown hair was tied in a tight bun at the nape of her neck and covered by a white cap. A maroon three-fourth sleeved dress covered her body and reached down to her ankles. Over the dress was a white apron with frills on the shoulder straps.

Estrella had worked in the Swann household for as long as Elizabeth could remember. She'd once told her she approached the doorstep of the Swann estate when Elizabeth was just an infant, desperate for work. Her father had passed away a few months before, leaving Estrella and what was left of her family destitute and in debt. Elizabeth's mother was kind enough to show compassion towards her and convinced her father to let her work for them. Because of her parents' compassion towards her, she's remained loyal to the Swann household ever since.

"There we are," Estrella said, looking at her with her dark brown eyes after she pulled down the bed covers. "Now, let's get you undressed. I'm sure you're tired after the party."

Elizabeth nodded as she stepped over to her and walked behind the privacy screen. The exhaustion caused by the night's events became evident once she was out of her dressing and sitting inside her bed. She relished in the feeling of the softness her pillows provided as she propped her back up against them.

Confusion appeared on Estrella's features as she made it over to the side of the bed and pulled the covers up to her stomach.

"What is that?" she asked, her gaze on her chest.

Bewildered, Elizabeth gazed down and realized she was staring at the medallion hanging from her neck. Without Elizabeth realizing it, it must have slipped out when Estrella was helping her out of her dress for the night. Panic surged through her as Estrella raised her hand and took hold of it to inspect it closer.

"Where did you get this?" she asked.

The grave expression on her face was one she'd never seen on her before. She knew what it was.

"I found it on the ground at one of our stops," Elizabeth lied, trying to pretend as if the medallion had no significance.

Estrella didn't look entirely convinced.

Her father chose that moment to step into the room. "Is everything all right?" he asked, concern and confusion in his voice as he noticed the tension between them.

"Yes!" Elizabeth blurted out with a forced smile.

He glanced between them and took notice of the medallion Estrella was still holding. "What is that?"

To not raise their suspicions further, she allowed Estrella to take off the medallion so she could present it to her father.

Weatherby took hold of it and examined it. The expression on his face slowly shifted from bewilderment to worry and fear.

"Where did you get this, Elizabeth?" he inquired, finally looking at Elizabeth in alarm.

"I found it on the ground at one of our stops," she replied, lying once more.

She needed to fool him into thinking there was nothing noteworthy about the medallion.

He frowned. "I must show this to Captain Saunders and Lieutenant Norrington as soon as possible."

"What?" Elizabeth asked with alarm in her voice, forgetting all pretenses as fear for William gripped her heart. "Is that necessary? It's only a medallion!"

"I'm afraid I must, Elizabeth," he insisted. "If this is what I believe it is, they will want to know about it."

She could only watch in horror as her father turned around and headed toward the door. Her worst fear had just become her reality. Now she could only pray that they wouldn't discover it was William's medallion. And if they did...

A flash of white light illuminated her room and her father's retreating back. The deafening roar of thunder which erupted from outside startled her as she felt herself jump in surprise, and the scenery turned black for a second time.

When Elizabeth's surroundings returned, she found herself standing at the edge of a crowd inside a large military fort in the pouring rain. Given her height, she couldn't see what had captivated their attention as they stared at something that was in front of them. She looked around to find a higher place before noticing her father several feet behind her. He had taken cover underneath a large archway at the top of a set of stone steps leading to an outside corridor. There was a distinct frown on his lips as he gazed over the crowd. Lieutenant Norrington and Captain Saunders were flanking him on each side, their focus on whatever was happening.

She ran toward them, determined to see what had caught everyone's interest.

"Elizabeth?" her father asked in surprise as she came running up the steps.

She ignored him as she made it to the top step and turned around. The sight that greeted her made her freeze as her blood ran cold. William was standing atop a tall wooden platform with his hands tied behind his back. A noose was loosely wrapped around his neck.

"Will?" she gasped in alarm. Her gaze immediately snapped over to her father. "Father! Why is Will up there?!"

"The medallion, of course," Lieutenant Norrington stated.

"How do you know it's his?" she quickly replied. "I told my father I found it on the ground during one of our stops!"

"Elizabeth," her father said sternly. "Do not make this worse than it already is."

"It's all right, Governor," Norrington replied reassuringly before turning his gaze down to her. "Miss Swann," he said softly, "I know you discovered the medallion after we rescued him. You were hiding it behind your back when I asked you if he'd said anything."

A feeling of dread consumed her. Then, she hasn't been able to fool Norrington after all. He'd realized she was acting strangely and put two and two together.

"Father!" Elizabeth said in alarm as she grabbed his hand. "Please!"

"You know the law, Elizabeth," he replied, his gaze softening slightly because of her distress. "There is nothing I can do for the boy now we've discovered he's a pirate. I can only find myself fortunate that you aren't in the same position for concealing his identity. If something would have happened on our way to Port Royal, I fear what could have taken place."

"I didn't hide anything! He's innocent!" she declared, desperate for him to see reason. "If he were a pirate, he would have been on the ship I caught sight of that day sailing away in the fog!"

"Ship?" Weatherby whispered in alarm as he, Norrington, and Saunders looked at her in surprise.

"You saw a ship, Miss Swann?" Lieutenant Norrington asked.

She nodded. "It was a black ship with black sails."

"He still had the medallion in his possession," Captain Saunders replied with a frown. "That trinket is as good as a branding or Jolly Roger. It's a pirate medallion."

"Then I should be hanged as well for having it in my possession!"

"Elizabeth!" her father said, turning pale. "Be reasonable!"

"I'm sorry, Miss Swann," the captain replied with a look of regret.

Before Elizabeth could say anything else, he turned his head to look at the executioner standing on the platform next to Will. A signal nod was given, and she knew what it meant. Will's fate had been sealed.

She turned her head to gaze at Will in alarm and regret. His warm eyes landed on her, and he gave a weak smile as the man tightened the noose around his neck. Without uttering a single word, he was telling her not to worry. He didn't blame her for his predicament.

Tears gathered in her eyes as powerlessness and desperation consumed her. She found herself unable to look away from Will as his executioner stepped over to the lever that would send him to his death. The drummers began to rapidly drum in unison. Her heart raced in her chest as her breathing became erratic. She knew the moment the music stopped, Will's life would also end.

"It is for the best, Miss Swann," Norrington said consolingly, taking in her heartbroken expression. "One day, you will understand."

"You're wrong," Elizabeth whispered with certainty and anguish in her voice. "I never will."

Moments later, the drums stopped. Elizabeth drew a sharp breath as the executioner took hold of the lever and swiftly pulled it as another bolt of lightning struck the ground nearby. The trap door underneath Will's feet opened with another deafening roar of thunder drowning out the sound. She could only watch in horror as Will began to fall, and she found herself screaming out his name as he plummeted to his short drop and sudden stop.
♠ ♠ ♠
After five months, it's finally complete!

This chapter turned out a bit differently than I expected it would. I never intended for this part to take place at all, as a matter of fact. Everything I planned to actually have in this chapter will be in the next one since this is already nearly 5,000 words. Because of the way it ended, I'm trying to get the next one out as soon as possible. I already have a working basis for it, I just need to find a time to get some peace and quiet so I can write. My mother has a bad habit of breaking my train of thought when I'm in the middle of writing. It can make things a little difficult.

I hope everyone enjoyed the chapter. Please tell me what you think by leaving a comment if you liked it! And to anyone who has already done so, thank you! Your support has been greatly appreciated!