Until You Met Me

One Hundred & Four

“Molly, are you nearly ready to go?”

Molly, who was adjusting the straps of the dress she wore, jumped slightly, her stare drifting over her shoulder to watch as Gerard hurried into the room, still adjusting his tie as he sat down on the side of their bed and reached for his shoes. He was trying to hide that he was nervous. After months of planning, they had arrived at the night before they got married, and Molly knew that that was something that made Gerard nervous, even despite his best attempts to stop her from seeing it. She knew that he was nervous because she was nervous, too.

They both wanted it to happen. When they had announced that Molly was pregnant, one of the first questions that they had been asked was whether or not they had thought about postponing the wedding, but they had both been in agreement that they didn’t want to wait. They had waited. They had spent years missing one another or avoiding the reality of their feelings, and neither of them wanted to waste more time. They were ready, even if they were a little nervous. They were ready to make the next step in their relationship together.

“You scared me” Molly protested “I thought you were downstairs” she added.

“I was” Gerard replied, looking up from tying his shoes “But then I looked at the clock and realised that we’re going to be late, so here I am” he added.

Molly’s lips quirked slightly. “You know that they actually can’t start without us, right?” she chirped “It’s not really a rehearsal dinner without the bride or groom, is it?” she added.

Gerard huffed out a reluctant laugh as he looked back down at his feet, causing Molly’s smile to soften a little before she turned around, gently smoothing the material of her dress over her small baby bump. “What do you think?” she prodded.

Gerard looked up at her, taking her in, before a soft, slow smile brightened his features. “Wow” he said.

Molly’s cheeks warmed. “That good, huh?” she teased gently.

“That good” Gerard played along, gently reaching for her hands. Gently twining their fingers together, he tugged Molly to stand in front of him before he settled his hands on her waist and gazed up at her, his expression soft.

Molly gently pushed her fingers back through his hair, smiling at him tenderly. “Are you OK?” she asked.

“Yeah” Gerard replied “Just thinking about the first time we met” he added.

Molly scoffed out a bashful laugh. “I was so shy” she mused “I am pretty sure that, for the first hour we knew each other, I didn’t actually talk to you” she added.

“I talked enough for the both of us” Gerard quipped impishly.

“And you’ve not stopped talking since” Molly played along.

Gerard laughed before he leant forwards, pressing a soft kiss to Molly’s stomach. “I love you” he said “I’ve not always been great at showing it, but I do, and whilst I am nervous about tonight, and tomorrow, and everything that comes next, I don’t have any doubts that we can handle it. Not any more” he added.

Molly’s eyes searched his face for a beat before she quirked a soft smile. “I think I needed to hear you say that” she said “I mean, I knew it, but I needed...I needed to hear you say that you’re sure” she added.

Gerard leant forwards to kiss her stomach again before Molly gently urged him back, pressing her lips against his. “I love you, too” she whispered, resting her forehead against his.

For a moment, they both lingered in the embrace before they slowly drew apart. Collecting their bags, they moved towards the bedroom door before Gerard caught Molly’s hand, tugging her to a stop. “The next time we’re both in this room, we’re going to be married. Can you believe that?” he asked.

Molly glanced around the bedroom before she smiled up at him. “It’s only taken us forever to get there” she teased.

Gerard laughed before he tugged on her hand, leading her out of the room.

~#~
“Are you alone yet?”

Molly, who was sat in the middle of her hotel room’s bed, rolled her eyes as she pressed her phone against her ear. She wasn’t entirely surprised by the call. When they had been saying goodbye to one another at the end of their rehearsal dinner, Gerard had teasingly quipped that he’d call her, just to hear her voice, but the timing of it had surprised her. It had barely been an hour since they’d both retired to their rooms for the night. “You were serious about calling?” she quipped.

“It’s romantic” Gerard protested teasingly “So, are you alone?” he asked.

“Pop’s just gone back to her room for the night” Molly answered “What about you?” she asked.

“I’m alone” Gerard answered “I kind of wish you were here, though” he added.

Molly laughed, leaning back against the pillows on her bed. “You saw me less than an hour ago” she said “And you were saying just the other day that you were looking forwards to having a bed to yourself for once. Something about me being a blanket thief?” she added.

Gerard laughed. “That’s a good point” he said.

Molly smiled to herself, enjoying the sound of his laughter. “We do actually need to get some sleep” she mused after a moment of quiet.

“Are you going to be OK in the morning?” Gerard asked “I know the nausea has been wearing off recently, but does Pop know what to get for you if you do feel sick?” he added.

“You told her about ten times” Molly replied with a soft huff of laughter.

“I worry about you” Gerard mused “And someone made up a stupid rule about not seeing the bride on the wedding day, so I wanted to make sure that someone else knows how to take care of you. Can you really blame me for that?” he asked.

“It’s one morning” Molly protested playfully.

“Molly...” Gerard’s voice trailed off slightly as Molly pulled her phone away from her ear, frowning slightly at the sound of knocking that filled the room. Waiting for a moment, she listened to the quiet of the room before the knocking started again, causing her to sigh gently as she pressed the phone to her ear again.

“Gerard, I have to go” Molly said “Someone’s knocking, and I think it’s Pop, checking that I haven’t run off. If I don’t answer, I am worried she will wake up the whole floor” she added.

Gerard let out another laugh. “I’d best let you go, then” he said “See you at the end of the aisle?” he asked.

“I’ll be the one in the white dress” Molly chirped before she ended the call.

Leaving her phone on the bed, she walked through the hotel suite before she reached the door. Stopping by the door, she waited for a second, waiting for another knock, before she pulled it open, the playful greeting that she had planned for her sister dying on her tongue as her eyes landed on the man who stood in the corridor.

Tiago’s lips lifted into a slightly rueful smile. “Molly” he greeted.