Until You Met Me

One Hundred & Ten

“Molly”

Molly blinked a couple of times, setting a couple of tears rolling down her cheeks before she turned away from the mirror, glancing over her shoulder at Xavier who’d stopped in the room’s doorway. She hadn’t been alone for long. After Poppy had ushered Gerard out of her room, the rest of the morning had passed in a blur, and before she had really known what was happening, Julia had pressed a kiss to her cheek and told her that the next person she saw would be her father who would arrive to walk her down the aisle. The words hadn’t registered with her. When her mother had been speaking to her, Molly had been lost in staring at her reflection in the mirror in front of her, and it meant that her father’s voice had startled her. She couldn’t quite believe that she was only a short walk, and a few words away from being married.

Lifting her hand, she wiped at her eyes before she quirked a watery smile. “Hi, papa” she said.

Xavier, who’d been staring at her in awe, met her eyes, his face lit up with a doting smile. “Your mother’s description didn’t do you justice” he cooed “Though, I don’t any words could have done. She did use most of the adjectives I know to try and capture how beautiful you look” he added.

Molly laughed, ducking her head in an attempt to hide her tearful eyes. “She wasn’t just saying it to be nice, then?” she played along “I know how much she loved my other dress, and I know she’s disappointed that I had to change it” she added.

Xavier offered her an amused smile as he sat down in a chair beside the mirror. “She was a lot less disappointed when you told her the reason that you had to change it” he quipped “I mean, your mother loves a wedding, but her favourite thing in the whole world is being Imogen’s nana, and she can’t wait for your little one to come along” he added.

One of Molly’s hands moved towards her stomach, her fingers ghosting over the bump that was hidden by her dress.

Xavier smiled as he watched her before he slipped his hand into his jacket pocket, pulling something out from inside of it as he cleared his throat. “I brought you something” he said “I didn’t know if you were doing the something old, something new thing, and if you are, you’ve probably got all of them figured out already, but I just...I thought this would be a nice touch” he added, holding his hand out towards his daughter.

Molly slipped the piece of paper he was holding out of his grasp before she turned it over, letting out a slightly choked laugh as she recognised the picture on the other side. It had been taken when she and Gerard were children. They were at a wedding, Molly couldn’t remember whose, but she could remember awkwardly slow dancing with Gerard. He had stepped on her foot, and she could remember snapping at him for it, but she could also remember how her annoyance had faded when he’d made a bad joke and made her laugh. It was something he’d always done, and Molly had always loved it. One of her favourite things about him was that he could make her laugh.

“Where did you find this?” Molly whispered in awe.

“Your mother has a million photo albums” Xavier answered “It wasn’t a stretch to think she had at least one picture of you two together” he added.

Molly glanced away from the picture to offer her father a tearful smile. “I love it” she whispered “Thank you, papa” she added.

Xavier pushed himself out of his seat and stepped towards her, gently brushing the loose tears off of her cheeks.

“Xavi?”

Xavier turned to look over his shoulder, his stare landing on Darcy who stood in the doorway. “Are they ready for us?” he asked.

“They are” Darcy confirmed “Once you’re outside, Imogen and Felipe will walk first. Sofia and Gerard’s brother will go next, and then Poppy and Cesc. Once they’ve reached the altar, I will give you the signal and you two will start your walk. Xavi, you’ll give Molly away, and then she will move to the centre of the altar with Gerard. Molly, when you get up there, you’ll hand the bouquet off to Poppy and then it’s go time” she added, a warm smile on her face.

Molly smiled back gently before she returned her stare to her father. “This is the right choice, isn’t it?” she asked.

Xavier didn’t hesitate to nod. “I can’t promise it will be without its bumps” he mused “But I can tell you that I haven’t ever seen you happier. I don’t know what it is about him, but he’s always just got you, and I think that that is the most important thing. There’s nothing wrong being different, me and your mother aren’t exactly a lot alike, but she gets me, and I get her. You get him, Molly, and he gets you. He’s a good man, and he so obviously loves you” he added warmly.

“Are we ready?” Darcy prodded.

Molly held her father’s stare for a moment, finding reassurance in the warmth in his expression, before she moved to collect her bouquet. Untying the ribbon that held it together, she tied the picture that Xavier had given her around the stems, before she offered her arm to her father. “Ready” she chirped.

Xavier chuckled and linked his arm through hers before they moved to follow after Darcy who led them towards the end of the aisle. Together, they stood and watched as Felipe helped Imogen toddle up the aisle, and then as the pairs of bridesmaids and grooms-men made their way, before finally Darcy tipped her head in their direction.

Xavier’s spare hand squeezed Molly’s hand gently before they slowly progressed up the aisle. Time seemed to move in slow motion. Molly’s eyes surveyed the entire room, slowly tracing over the decorations, and the small crowd that had gathered, before they finally settled on Gerard who was stood at the front of the room, looking at her like she was the only person in the world. It was a look she had seen before. On more occasions than she could recall, she had found him looking up at her, his lips quirked in a slightly awed smile that she had never really been able to place before, but in that moment, it made perfect sense. He was in love with her, and that little smile was his way of saying it without saying it.

Offering Gerard a bashful smile in return, Molly kept her eyes on his until she felt her father tug her to a stop. Turning to look at him, she mirrored his smile before Xavier leant over, pressing his lips to her cheek. “I’m so happy for you, my beautiful girl” he whispered before he stepped away, taking his seat next to Julia.

Molly grinned at both of her parents, and at Gerard’s, before she stepped towards Poppy, handing over her bouquet.

Poppy stepped forwards, wrapping Molly in a tight hug. “You look amazing” she gushed “And I am so happy for you” she added.

Molly’s cheeks were pink as she pulled out of the hug before she turned towards Gerard who simply held out his hand towards her, that soft smile on his face. Without hesitation, Molly slipped her hand into his and stepped towards him, her own soft smile on her lips.