Until You Met Me

Eighteen

Letting his bag drop from his hand, Gerard let out a tired sigh, his other hand rubbing his eyes in an attempt to ward off the tired sting he could feel. It had been a long day. He had spent a lot of it trying to keep himself focussed on the team and the match that they had played, and forcing himself to focus on that had exhausted him, as had the knot of regret that had formed almost as soon as he had left Molly’s party. He knew that he had overreacted immediately. As soon as he had taken a second to think, to focus on the expression that had formed on Molly’s face, he knew he had made a mistake, but he hadn’t allowed himself to go back, scared that if he did, he would only say something to make things worse.

Molly had been right. Ava hadn’t known that by bringing Sam, she was inadvertently putting him in the middle of whatever was happening between Molly and Gerard, and he knew that he had overreacted. He knew that he had let the fact that Ava thought there was someone better for Molly than him bother him more than he should have. It wasn’t new. For months, Ava and Sofia had been setting Molly up on dates, and not once had they looked in his direction, but whilst that wasn’t new, the fear he had that they could be right about Sam being a better match for Molly than him was.

Toeing off his shoes, he nudged his bag out of the way of the front door before he walked towards the living room. Pushing a hand back through his hair, he spared a brief look around the room before he stopped, his stare catching on Molly who was curled up on the sofa, sound asleep. For a moment, he just watched her, before he padded towards the sofa and crouched down next to it, his finger gently poking at her shoulder.

It took a couple of gentle pokes, and the sound of Gerard whispering her name, but eventually, Molly’s eyes fluttered open, something which caused Gerard’s lips to twist into a small smile. “I thought I told you to give me my spare key back” he teased softly.

“I thought I told you that that was never happening” Molly replied as she sat up.

Gerard let out a soft laugh, something which made Molly smile gently before she shook her head, her expression growing slightly nervous. “Aren’t you going to ask why I am here?” she asked.

Gerard, who’d moved to sit next to her, shook his head, a wry smile on his face. “I don’t think I need to” he quipped “I mean, if you’re not here about last night, then I’d be surprised” he added.

Molly nodded her head slowly. “I’m sorry about Ava” she said “She means well” she added.

“I’m sorry I was an idiot” Gerard replied “You were right. Ava didn’t know that we are...that we’re doing what we’re doing, and she didn’t invite Sam to cause trouble. She wants to see her friend happy, and whilst the previous eight months of attempts to find a guy you like were a failure, she’s still trying to help. She cares about you being happy, and I...I overreacted” he added, looking at her bashfully.

Molly stared at him for a second before a soft smile slowly spilt across her features. “You might have overreacted a little” she quipped.

Gerard’s answering smile was part rueful, and part amused, something which caused Molly to poke his side gently. “Tell me what you’re thinking” she said softly “Normally, I can’t stop you talking. So, talk” she added, letting out a soft laugh in an attempt to lighten the mood.

Gerard gently captured the hand of Molly’s that was poking his side before he twined their fingers together. “What if Sam was the guy?” he quipped “What if Ava finally got it right?” he added.

Molly didn’t say anything for a moment, something which caused Gerard to shake his head slightly, a nervous laugh falling out of his mouth. “Was he the guy?” he asked.

Molly shook her head. “He’s not you” she answered.

Gerard let out a little sigh. “Molly...”

“I need to tell you about Tiago” Molly interrupted.

Gerard’s forehead furrowed. “What?” he asked.

“I need to tell you something about Tiago” Molly repeated “I think if I tell you, it’s going to help to show you that...that the feelings I have for you aren’t just out of the blue. I think it will help to show that I am serious about trying this” she added.

Gerard was still frowning a little when he nodded his head. “Alright” he said.

“I told you that I wanted to settle down with Tiago, and that he wasn’t on the same page?” Molly asked.

“That’s why you broke up” Gerard confirmed.

Molly flashed him a bashful smile. “Not completely” she said “I...I didn’t tell you that the reason he wasn’t on the same page about settling down with me was you. He thought that...that we were too close to just be friends, and once things between us were over, and I had a chance to really think about it, I realised that he was probably right. I adore you, and it’s probably a big part of the reason that none of the setups Ava attempted worked. They weren’t you. Sam’s not you, and right now, I am pretty convinced that I want you. Do you understand?” she prodded.

It took Gerard a few moments to process what she had said before he placed a hand against her jaw, gently tracing her cheek with his thumb. “I’m going to kiss you now” he said softly.

“What?” Molly spluttered.

“I’ve tried to just lean in to you, and you duck away” Gerard explained “I thought announcing it would help” he added, his lips quirking upwards slightly.

Molly’s cheeks flushed a soft shade of pink, something which caused Gerard’s smile to widen a little before he leant in, lightly brushing his lips over hers. “I’m sorry about Tiago” he murmured, touching his forehead to hers “I didn’t know” he added.

“Neither did I, really” Molly replied “But I do now. I know that I just sort of blurted it out, but I meant it. I am crazy about you” she added.

Gerard touched a kiss to the corner of her mouth, smiling when he felt her smile under his touch, before he moved to place a kiss on her forehead and then the top of her head, mumbling that he was crazy about her too into her hair.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Twisted;;Symphony for the comment :)