Until You Met Me

Thirty One

“I used my spare key again. Don’t be mad”

Molly, who was staring at Tiago’s message on the screen of her phone, startled at the sound of Gerard’s voice before she scrambled to lock her phone, stuffing it underneath a pillow just before Gerard appeared in the doorway, brandishing the bag of food he had bought home with him. She didn’t know what to do with it. The message that she had received from Tiago had come completely out of the blue, and despite staring at it for almost the entire time it had taken Gerard to go out and come back to her apartment, she was still no closer to figuring out what to do with it, but she knew that, for the time being, she didn’t want Gerard to see it. She knew that he worried about Tiago and she knew that the text on the screen of her phone would only make those worries worse.

“I’m never really mad when you use it” Molly mused as she pushed herself off of the sofa “It’s kind of why I gave it to you” she added.

Gerard’s lips quirked upwards. “I am little mad when you use the one I gave to you” he quipped “I used to think that the only reason we were still friends was because you liked my house” he joked.

Molly’s answering smile was genuine, if a little distracted, as she pushed herself up onto her toes, sneaking a quick kiss. “How do you know that it isn’t?” she teased.

Gerard scoffed out a laugh. “I don’t think you’d have put up with me for this long if it was just the house you wanted” he quipped “Admit it, you like me” he added.

Molly feigned thought for a moment, something which caused Gerard to scoff out another laugh. “Wow” he said playfully.

Molly couldn’t stop herself from laughing gently before she pushed herself up onto her toes, pressing her lips to his again. “You know how I feel about you” she murmured “But if you need to hear it again, I will happily say it” she added.

“Can you?” Gerard asked, the tips of his fingers tracing the line of her jaw.

“I love you” Molly murmured.

The corners of Gerard’s lips lifted upwards into a goofy smile, something which made Molly smile too before she gently nudged his shoulder, wordlessly directing him towards the kitchen. Gerard got the hint and nodded his head, playfully rolling his eyes. “I’ll bring the food through” he said “Water or wine?” he added.

“Water, please” Molly answered.

Gerard flashed her one last smile before he padded out of the room again, affording Molly the chance to move back towards the sofa, retrieving her phone from its spot beneath the pillow. Unlocking it, she stared at Tiago’s message for a beat longer before she pressed the delete button and pushed her phone into her pocket.

She didn’t know if it would be the last one, if only because she hadn’t been anticipating a first one. Until the first message had arrived, she would have put money on her not having crossed Tiago’s mind since they had broken up, but she didn’t want to give him the impression that he was still on hers. She had thought about him a lot after they had broken up. They had been together for years, and for a while, Molly had been caught up in mourning the loss of the future that she thought that they were going to have together, but after a while, she had stopped thinking about him, and she didn’t want to start again.

~#~
Gently draping a blanket over Molly’s sleeping frame, Gerard quirked a soft smile, his fingertips gently smoothing a piece of her hair away from her eyes. It hadn’t taken her long to fall asleep. After they had had dinner together, and she had caught up with a little work, they had curled up together to watch a film, and even before the opening credits had filled the screen, Molly had been curled up against him, snoring happily.

Leaning over her slightly, he pressed a soft kiss against her forehead before he pushed himself back to his feet. Stretching slightly, he looked around the room, locating his jacket and shoes, before the sound of a phone vibrating on the coffee table reached his ears, causing him to snatch it up quickly, hoping that the noise hadn’t disturbed Molly. Glancing over at the couch, he watched her for a moment, only to breathe out a soft sigh of relief when she let out another soft snore.

Turning his attention down to the phone in his hand, he shuffled towards the sofa, preparing to tuck it next to Molly’s feet before it buzzed again, causing him to look down at the screen instinctively. Blinking a couple of times, he read and reread the text before he glanced over at Molly, watching her sleep. It wasn’t a long message, and the number that it was sent from wasn’t saved in Molly’s phone, but it didn’t have to be for Gerard to realise who the text was from. The content made it very obvious.

‘I am sorry for texting out of the blue, and I get why you didn’t reply. I just miss you. Can we talk?’

Gerard’s eyes drifted back to the screen of Molly’s phone, rereading the words again before he heard the couch creak, causing him to glance back at it, watching as Molly stirred. “Are you leaving?” she asked, her voice sleepy.

Gerard just stared at her for a second before he leant down, placing her phone down onto the coffee table that stood between them. “I am” he confirmed, his voice slightly curt.

Molly’s forehead creased at the tone of his voice. “Are you alright?” she asked.

Gerard’s answering nod was took quick, and too sharp. “Fine” he quipped “You should check that, though. I think you’ll find you’ve got a text” he added.

With a frown on her face, Molly leant forwards and picked her phone up, but when she saw the message on the lock screen, her expression slackened.

Gerard shook his head, staring down at his feet. “You didn't think to mention that Tiago was texting you?” he asked.