Until You Met Me

Fifty

“Haven’t Sofia and Sebastian been engaged for months?”

Molly, who’d been checking her lipstick in a mirror, quirked a small smile at the confusion in Gerard’s voice before she nodded her head, using her thumb to wipe away a little smudge at the corner of her mouth. “They have” she confirmed “But they didn’t have an engagement party when they got engaged, so they’re having one tonight. I say party, but it’s more like dinner with a few friends and family at some fancy restaurant” she added.

Gerard nodded, steering the car around another corner. “And they couldn’t wait to have a rehearsal dinner closer to their wedding date?” he poked, his lips quirking upwards amusedly “I mean, two parties this close to the big day seems like a lot” he added.

Molly rolled her eyes, but couldn’t hide her amused smile. “They’re excited about the fact that they’re getting married and they want to celebrate it. You can’t blame them for that” she said “Besides, are you saying that, if we get there, we’ll literally just have the wedding? Because I can tell you now, my mother, and your mother too, probably, aren’t going to let that happen. There’s going to be engagement parties, and bridal showers, and rehearsal dinners. It is going to be a lot” she added, her voice warm and playful.

They were in a good place. After they had talked about the prospect of them getting married in the future, it was like all of the little worries and doubts that they had had had disappeared, and it meant that they were more at ease around one another than they had been in a long time. It was still a work in progress. Despite knowing that they were both on the same page, they knew that their relationship still needed to grow a little before they felt ready to actually take big steps forwards, but the conversation had eased both of their minds, and made space for all of the good things about their relationship that had been lost from the moment that Gerard had seen Tiago’s name on the screen of Molly’s phone.

Gerard grinned as he pulled up outside of the restaurant. “I know it is” he quipped “But we’re us. I didn’t think Sofia and Sebastian were the party type” he added.

“It’s not really a party” Molly replied “But it is important to Sofia, so I need to get inside. Are you sure that you can’t stay?” she asked.

Gerard nodded, a rueful smile on his face. “Match day tomorrow” he replied “I will come back and get you when the party is over, though. Just call” he added

“Are you sure?” Molly asked, pushing the car door open.

Gerard nodded. “Of course” he quipped “Have fun” he added.

Molly smiled over her shoulder at him before she climbed out of the car. Pushing the door closed after herself, she padded towards the front door of the restaurant and moved to pull it open, only to have it pulled open for her. Blinking in surprise, she turned to look up at the man who’d pulled it open for her, offering him a polite smile. “Thanks” she said.

“No problem” the man replied “After you” he added.

Molly smiled again before she ducked into the restaurant, quickly moving over to greet Sofia and Sebastian, even despite the lingering thought that she had vaguely recognised the face of the man that had held the door open for her.

~#~
“Are you sure that you don’t want a lift home?”

Molly pulled out of the hug she and Sofia were sharing, shaking her head slightly. “I’ve already called Gerard” she mused “He’s on his way, but thank you for offering. I hope you had a great night” she added.

Sofia beamed, nodding her head enthusiastically. “It was wonderful” she insisted.

Molly wrapped her in another hug, squeezing her tightly, before Sebastian appeared, announcing that the car was outside. Pulling out of the hug, Sofia grinned at Molly once more before she padded away, leaving Molly to walk towards the bar. Settling atop a stool, she ordered a glass of lemonade before she pulled her phone out of her bag, scrolling through it idly until she heard someone clear their throat behind her. Turning around, she prepared to ask what they wanted, only for the question to die on the tip of her tongue when she found herself looking up into Tiago’s green eyes.

Tiago’s lips lifted into a sheepish smile, like he couldn’t quite believe that he was stood there either. “Ivan was right” he quipped “He...He thought it was you” he added.

Molly wanted to slap a palm to her forehead. Ivan was Tiago’s best friend, and the man who had opened the door for her when she had arrived at the restaurant. “I...I didn’t recognise him” she spluttered out “It’s...uh...it’s been a while” she added, letting out a slightly too high-pitched laugh.

Tiago looked down at his feet, nodding his head slightly. “I saw you with Sofia” he said “She and Seb are getting married?” he asked.

“They are” Molly confirmed.

“I’m glad” Tiago said “They’re really great together” he added.

Molly nodded her head in agreement, allowing an uncomfortable silence to fall between them that lasted until Tiago took a hesitant step towards her, his eyes carefully rising to meet hers. “It’s so good to see you, Molly” he said gently “You look...well, you look as beautiful as you always do” he added.

Molly’s cheeks flushed pink as she looked away. “You look good, too” she replied.

Another silence fell between them, lasting longer than the previous one, before Tiago took another step forwards, his fingers cautiously tucking a lock of hair that had fallen over her eyes behind her ear. “I’ve wanted to see you for a while” he admitted quietly, his fingers ghosting over the curve of her ear “I’ve...I’ve missed you” he added.

“Tiago” Molly complained softly, ducking away from his touch.

Tiago dropped his hand back to his side immediately. “I just...I have…” he stumbled out “Can we get a drink together and talk?” he asked.

Molly wanted to shake her head immediately, but when she caught sight of Gerard out of the corner of her eye, all thoughts of what she wanted to say to Tiago flew out of her head. Blinking, she watched his stare flit between the two of them before he shook his head and retreated towards the restaurant door, something which caused Molly to spring to her feet, following after him as quickly as she could and leaving Tiago staring after her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Twisted;;Symphony for the comment :)