‹ Prequel: Lost in Stereo

Something's Gotta Give

Christmas Morning

Skye's Point of View

Things had gone smoothly over at Jade and Jack’s place that evening. I was trying to figure out who got me the necklace, but I couldn’t figure it out. We left their place around two-thirty so Alex had offered for Zack to stay at our place for the night since the guys would be coming over in the morning anyway. When we got back to our house, I said goodnight to Alex and headed straight for my room. I was trying to get the dress zipper to go down but it seemed to be stuck. I let out a groan and laid down on my bed. I heard a chuckle and immediately recognized it.

“Do you want some help?” Zack asked.

As much as I didn’t want his help, I knew I wasn’t getting out of the dress without it.

“Please?” I asked.

I stood up again and Zack came over. I felt his hand moving the zipper down until it got to the bottom. He stopped and I turned around. I was holding on to the top of the dress so it wouldn’t fall off. The tension between us was heavy. Zack was looking at me with those hazel eyes, the same ones I used to get lost in. I could feel it happening again.

“Uh, thanks,” I finally said.

“No problem,” he said.

“I’m gonna finish changing. You remember where the guest room is, right?”

Zack nodded and I grabbed my clothes off my bed, heading to my bathroom. I closed the door and leaned against it, sighing and closing my eyes. I couldn’t be doing this, not again. After I changed, I peeked out the bathroom door. Zack was no longer in my room. I was thankful for that. I turned off the light and got into my bed, sleep coming quickly.

I woke up the next morning around eight. Kellin would be dropping Kendall off later around noon. I decided to take a shower. I got out of bed, grabbed some clothes, and headed to my bathroom. After the shower warmed up, I stepped in, and then heard my bathroom door open.

“Lex?” I asked, hoping it wasn’t who I thought it was.

“Guess again,” the voice said.

I opened the curtain a little bit and Zack was sitting down on the toilet.

“Do you need something?” I asked.

“You.” He smirked.

I rolled my eyes and closed the shower curtain. I was getting my hair wet when the shower curtain opened, Zack stepping in.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?!” I demanded.

“I mean, it’s pretty obvious, isn’t it? I’m taking a shower,” he said.

“If Alex catches you in here, he’s going to kill you,” I warned.

“Well, good thing Alex left to go with Jack and Jade to their mother’s this morning, then,” he said.

Zack cornered me to the back of the shower and got close to my neck. He started to place kisses down my neck. I pushed him away.

“Zack, we can’t do this. If Alex finds out about this, he won’t just kill you, he’ll kill me too.”

“He won’t find out, I promise,” he told me, going back to my neck.

I closed my eyes and tried to not enjoy it, but who was I kidding? Zack knew everything about me. What felt good and what I loved. He started to kiss up my jaw line and then stopped at the corner of my mouth. Zach rested his forehead against mine. I opened my eyes to meet his gaze, like he was asking for my permission or begging for me to give in. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

“Fuck it,” I said.

Zach closed the gap between our lips.

After a way longer shower than I was expecting to take, I was finally getting dressed and ready for Kendall and the rest of the gang to get here. I was in my bathroom doing my hair and makeup. Once I was happy with things, I grabbed the necklace and went out to the living room. Zack was watching something on the TV. I sat down next to him and put the necklace on. There was a knock on the door a few minutes later. I went over and opened the door. Kellin was standing there with Kendall.

“Mommy!” she exclaimed and then her eyes landed on Zack. “Zack!” She ran over to him and gave him a hug.

Kellin had a sour look on his face. I excused myself from Zack and Kendall, knowing Zack would be fine with her. I closed the front door.

“Why is he here?” Kellin asked.

“Because we all went over to Jade and Jack’s last night for Christmas Eve and got back late, so Alex let him stay the night. Why is this any of your business anyway?”

“Is this why you won’t get back together with me? Because of him?” he demanded.

“Excuse me?” He’d struck a nerve. “Absolutely not. You know why I won’t get back together with you. You’re the reason why I won’t get back with you. You chose to not want to be a family when you extended that tour and chose to get shit-faced and cheat on me with some groupie. Who my friends are and who I hang out with is none of your concern. I would never do anything to put my own daughter in harm’s way. So now I am going to spend some time with my daughter before you come and pick her up tonight.”

Kellin was going to say something else when he realized that Alex, Jade, Jack and Rian were all standing there. I hadn’t even noticed they were here but I was thankful they were. Kellin just left and Alex, Jack, and Rian all walked inside.

“You okay?” Jade asked.

“I will be,” I told her.

Jade nodded and we both went inside.