Life as Lily Knows It

Chapter One

Lily listened as the front door opened. She didn’t both moving from her bed. She knew it was her father. While she loved him and was happy he was home, she knew all that was waiting for her from him was a lecture and possibly being grounded. As she lay on her bed, she heard his thundering footsteps against the carpeted stairs. A few seconds later, she heard a knock on her bedroom door.

“What?” Lily asked, not even sitting up.

“First off, hello,” Mark greeted his teenaged daughter. “Second of all, what’s with the attitude?”

“Get it over with,” Lily answered, finally sitting up and turning to face him. “Yell at me, ground me for an eternity. Whatever punishment you find worthy for whatever lie she came up with this time.”

“What makes you think it is a lie?” Mark asked, sitting in the office chair positioned at Lily’s desk.

“Because all she tells you are lies,” Lily replied. “She lies to you about me, about Grandma and
Grandpa. She lies to you about everything. You just have your head so far up her ass to see it!”

“I will not tolerate that kind of attitude in my house Lilian,” Mark snapped.

“Don’t you mean her house?” Lily asked.

“What can I do Lily?” Mark asked suddenly. “I’m at a loss here. What do you want from me?”

“Nothing,” Lily muttered. “Except maybe letting me move to New Jersey with Mom.” This was the first time Lily said the words out loud to her father. As soon as he heard them, it felt like he received a punch in the gut from his storyline brother, Glenn.

“What brought that thought on?” Mark asked. “Don’t forget, Mom left us.”

“For someone else,” Lily recited. “Because she couldn’t take your schedule Dad.”

“She knew what she was getting into,” Mark stated.

“Maybe not,” Lily shrugged. “But I want to go live with Mom and Donald.”

Before Mark could say anything else, a shrill female voice called from somewhere else in the house.

“Go,” Lily said sarcastically. “She beckons.”

“This isn’t over,” Mark said, standing up from the chair.

“Yes, it is,” Lily muttered as Mark exited the room. “Because the fat lady sang.”