Status: Work in progress

Where Did You Come From?

Black Eyes

I was on my fifth rotting, burned zombie when Becca showed up to work. She had two black eyes, gauze on her nose and a swollen jaw. I cringed at the sight of her but said nothing. Thomas said hi when I got on set but had kept to himself ever since.

"Dani. Grab your bag and head out on location with Sonequa and Michael." Greg told me and I nodded. Norman had been on location since we arrived this morning and he forgot his phone at home on charge. I knew better than to question Nicos direction as I finished up the walker and grabbed my bag. "Tell them to give me ten minutes, I'm directing the scenes." I nodded, patting his arm as I went past the trailers to the big white van we were traveling in, smoking as I walked.

A young girl sat on the hood of a black car, smoking a cigarette and watching me intently as I passed. I could feel her eyes studying me and the more I tried to shake it off, the more I could feel it. She had short blonde hair with purple tips, extremely thin and tiny. I wondered if she was an extra, someone's child or someone else.

Approaching the van I greeted everyone, looking back once more and realizing the girl was gone- I dismissed her from my mind.

********************************************************

It was way past dinnertime when we returned- everyone feeling the scenes that were just shot. I woke Greg up as we parked who thanked me and dismissed me for the day.

"Five a.m. tomorrow kid. Its horde day!" He hollared after me as I nodded. I made my way thru the trailers after seeing the other van had returned, hopefully Norman with it. Everyone was clearing out quickly as I passed them, various people saying hello to me as they passed. I stopped at his trailer, trying the door but it was locked up tight and his bike was gone. Figuring he wrapped earlier I pulled out my phone and called him but it went straight to voicemail. Sighing I wondered what I was going to do now. I never really prepared for this because it hasn't yet come up. I walked back to the vans, tapping Greg on the shoulder.

"Hey Norm isn't answering his phone and his bikes gone. You think you could give me a ride?" I pleaded and he nodded.

"Help me get this camera equipment inside and I'll get you home. I'll make some calls too. I think they wrapped but you never know. Tomorrow's gonna be a long shoot for everyone." I nodded, grabbing things and following him to the big building in the back. I noticed the black car still sitting there, this time Becca sat on the hood and watched me. My anxiety was higher than its been in a long time as I felt her silently judging me. I fought every urge to finish what I started.

"How's the hand?" Greg asked me as I put things away for the morning and I shook my head.

"Nothing alcohol and ice couldn't cure." I responded with a smile.

"I would fire her... but we really need the help tomorrow. Another long day of domino walkers ahead. You gonna be okay working with her?" He asked me and I nodded. "You sure?" He pushed as I nodded again. "Okay then..." he finally gave in and pulled out his phone, frowning for a moment and pocketing it again.

"What's wrong?" I asked but he said nothing as we locked up the building and walked to his car. I opened the door and started to get in when I heard the sound of a motorcycle approaching us.

"Hey stranger." Norm said as he parked in front of us, cutting the engine. "Ready to go home?" He asked and I nodded. "Thanks for taking care of her Greg." He added as I approached him and he pulled me in for a kiss.

"I'll see you in the morning kid!" I heard Greg yell as we drove away quickly, my arms around the man I love as I smirked at Becca watching us depart- the other girl sitting beside her.

**********************

We went to a restaurant in town to have dinner, this adorable little Italian place that smelled amazing. We talked about New York City while we ate, our favorite food joints and things to do. He talked about his son and the breakup with Helena- other short lived trials that never seemed to work out. Everything but work. Not that it mattered, he showed up when I needed him- thats what mattered. Even so... it bugged me. Just a bit.

"I need to go car shopping next chance I get." I mentioned as we had a glass of wine once the food was cleared.

"Okay... yeah. Generally we go in together but I get it." He replied, clearing his throat and scratching at his stubble. Clearly something was bothering him today, just a bit.

"You shouldn't have to come back for me once your done. We aren't always gonna be on the same schedule."

"I came and got you right? I showed up." He snapped and I nodded, over the conversation we were having. We paid quietly, rode home and the second we were inside I could feel it wasn't right. I didn't know what it was... but it just... it was off.

I went upstairs and showered, pulling on a clean tank top and shorts. Eye was meowing so I followed him downstairs and fed him, grabbed my cigarettes and went out front. Norm was already out there, sitting in a chair staring off into the sky. I sat on the steps, smoking and looking up at the moon- trying to figure out why things were so different from this morning.

"Mingus wants to come for the weekend." He said after a few minutes and I nodded. Of course his son is a factor we never talked about while screwing all over the house. "Do you wanna meet my son?" He asked coldly, almost angry.

"Norman... do you want me to meet your son?" I asked gently, trying not to meet his harsh tone with one from me.

"Yeah. But thats not what I asked." He stated and I nodded. He was right.

"Yes. Of course I want to meet him." I replied, turning to look at him.

"Ok." He stated simply, getting up and going inside the house.