Status: Work in progress

Where Did You Come From?

No Goodbyes

I crawled into bed next to Norm just as the sun came up. Soon as Nina was asleep I went to the hospital and discovered my mother had died in the ambulance from her addiction. They offered to bring me to see her but I flatly declined- asking to see my sister. They refused, telling me she was on psych hold and when the doctors told her mom died she became so hysterical they had to sedate her. I spent an hour with a social worker, granting me guardianship of my sister for the next three months till we went to court and the judge made a determination on where she would reside. I pleaded that my sister was the best fit but they confided in me that she was being charged in neglect that lead to my mother's death- hence the three month period. I don't remember leaving the hospital.... how I got home....

My head was completely scrambled.

When I got back I looked in on Nina who was tossing and turning in her sleep. I rubbed her back until she settled- wishing she could sleep forever so she wouldn't have to face the changes to her world. This was going to change everything and I was terrified.

"Hey. You okay? I've been worried sick." Norm said softly, pulling me close, warming my cold body. I nodded, tracing the tattoo on his chest with my finger and enjoying the feeling of his arms around me. I had to talk... I had to communicate.... but I didn't know how. I wanted to cry but there was no tears.

Just shock.

"It's bad right?" He asked as my eyes met his. Those crystal blue eyes were dark- deep circled formed under them from worry and lack of sleep. He looked exhausted and I knew I was the cause. I have turned this perfects mans life upside down. "Whatever it is... I am here. And we will fix it. Get thru it. We are a team. I'm here." He smiled softly, kissing my forehead.

"I have to raise her for awhile..." I stated, the panic, fear, worry and anger all exploding at that moment as I began to cry- harder and louder than I have since the day my dad passed away. I started crying and no words would come- just noises and tears. Ming ran in, eyes wide and Norm quickly reassured him it would be okay and to keep an eye on Nina when she got up which he agreed- shutting the door once more.

It took me an hour to stop crying and another two hours to stop talking. I unloaded so much pent up anger from my mother, so much worry and grief over being responsible for another child after I lost my own. Norm held me tight when I needed to cry, listened while I talked and chain smoked with me as we worked thru it. He had a comforting word for every memory, a solution to every problem and he didn't run- which was pretty important.

"You feel better?" He asked as I laid against him in the tub, the bubbles surrounding us and I nodded. "Had me worried there for a minute baby."

"I feel better... lighter." I shrugged. "I am.... God Norman. I am sooo sorry. I am so embarrassed." I lifted his hand and kissed his fingertips that were rubbing my huge red mark where the bullet hit- the new skin that would form a badass scar.

"Don't be. I'm here for you baby. Always. One day you will believe that." He sighed, holding me close. "I didn't mean anything by that... just.... I know how hard it is for you to trust me. But I'm glad you trust me enough to tell me all of it. I love you."

"I love you too." I turned and kissed his lips, knowing we couldn't stay in the water forever. "I gotta go talk to Nina." I muttered with a sigh. "I'm dreading it."

"I will be right there if you want. You don't have to do it alone." I nodded, pulling myself up and grabbing a towel as I stepped onto the fuzzy black carpet, grabbing a second and handing it to Norm. I studied him while he dried off, unable to pull my eyes off his body. The way his muscles flexed as he pulled on his jeans... the way he threw his hair back as he brushed his teeth.... his smirk as he looked at me with his deep blue eyes- still tired but so full of love as he looked at me.... snapping his fingers in my face.

"Hey. D." He snapped again, focusing my attention on him. "Were you checking me out?!" He asked slyly, a smirk appearing on his lips as my cheeks grew red- the burn letting me know I gave myself away. I nodded as he pulled my favorite shirt of his on, this black button up that he left open when we were hanging out around the house. He would always roll the sleeves up to his elbows and it just drove me wild. That shirt....

"D!" He snapped again, his smirk bigger than I had ever seen as he reached out and ran a finger over my nipple. "You're so turned the fuck on!" He exclaimed as I rolled my eyes. His finger- impossible to ignore- ran slowly down my stomach, across my priced naval and down... further and further... slower and slower as he closed the space between us out of nowhere- his lips against my ear, his feel of his breath made me shudder as he rubbed my clit softly, tracing down till he found what he was looking for, his finger entering me deeply. "You Are. So. Fucking. Turned. On." He nearly growled in my ear deeply, his breathing my neck as he bit me and I immediately came on his hand as he touched me. I cried out loudly as my knees buckled, Norm catching me before I collapsed. He looked at me with concern as I began laughing hysterically.

"Holy shit!" I exclaimed as I regained my balance, wrapping my arms around his neck, kissing his lips softly. "You drive me insane babe." I laughed again, pulling him close and feeling his stubble brush my cheek and neck- a feeling I have grown to crave. I inhaled his scent deep, so damn thankful he was here.

"What was that... exactly?" He asked and I laughed, letting him go as I started drying my hair.

"You're wearing that damn shirt..." I muttered as he winked at me.

*******************************************

We cook and ate brunch with the kids- apologizing for spending the morning in our room to which the both rolled their eyes- telling us how they spent their morning playing video games and watching videos on YouTube. Apparently our absence didn't phase them a bit.

"Nina, I need to talk to you about something." I said, looking over at Norm who nodded, urging me to continue.

"She's dead right?" She asked me quietly and I nodded. "Then I'm not mad at Alex anymore."

"Wait. What do you mean?" I asked and she shook her head. "Nina. You're gonna have to stay with me for a while so Alex and I can straighten everything out." She nodded, smiling at me.

"Thank you for keeping me safe Danielle. Norman. Mingus." She shrugged. "Can Ming and I go play now? We are in the middle of a tournament."

"Yeah... okay..." I shrugged. "Clean the table first."

I went out on the patio- a frown burned on my face as Norm came out, standing beside me as we watched birds fly by.

"That was.... that was weird right?" I asked him, lighting a cigarette from my third pack of the day. "I expected tears... crying... pleading..."

"Yesterday I would of said yeah. It was kinda fucked up how cold it was. But you spent all morning telling me about your childhood with her babe. So no. I can't imagine what she put her thru." He put a strong arm around my lower back and I laid a head on his shoulder as he kissed my head. "We got her. She's good now."