Status: In Progress

The Silence That Surrounds *New Version*

Prologue

The broken clock beside her was strangely comforting. She didn't understand why, but she did question its imperfection with the missing small hand. It laid at the bottom of the glass display, making the device useless. It wasn't a wonder she hadn't simply bought another one. It was no longer feasible, outliving the purpose it was once assigned. Then again; she could relate. Months spent planning for her wedding had made Sophia Stone a nervous vessel of energy. Her father deemed his responsibility as a parent void. He pawned his only daughter onto his wealthy business partner's son. A boy she had managed to make virtually childless the first time they met.

She sighed tiredly; Wellington's face flashing into her mind. The boy was God's gift to women, that much Sophia knew, because that's how he represented himself.

Too bad women like herself were into humbler gentleman – maybe even the occasional risk-taker. It was unfortunate that she was stuck with this ignoramus for all eternity.

"Maybe I can kill him and my father can cash in on the insurance money. I mean, that's all this is. A quick means to a rich business proposition." Sophia voiced her thoughts aloud, wishing more than anything that she could break free of this prison. Letting out a sigh, she turned, long silk red hair spilling over her shoulder. "Story of my life. Twenty-three-year-old Sophia Lorelei Stone, a future bride to the most arrogant micro-dick in all of England." The thought nauseated her.

No one was around to hear her late-night rants, but had they; she would be told to look at the bright side.

In her opinion, there was no sunny view inside of a cage. It didn't matter if it was gilded or decorated with mortal fancies. It was constricting her from the outside world.

Sighing again, Sophia sat up. Without much thought, she reached for her Iphone X and pressed her brother's number. It rang twice, his voice picking up on the other end.

"What's shaking, sis?" He answered with a knowing tease. Dylan Stone was well aware of his sister's frustrating plight. He'd be lying if it were said he wasn't a tad bit amused.

Sophia's blue eyes sparkled with excitement. She had hoped her younger sibling wasn't asleep at the ungodly hour. It was already twenty past three.

"My arse. Now, how about we switch subjects, hm? I don't feel it entirely appropriate to discuss such things with shared blood." She witted back, feeling her phone vibrate, indicating a new text message had come through.

Removing her phone from her ear, she quickly set it to speaker and navigated to text. Wellington 'the rat bitch' Kayleaf. Her soon to be surname in t minus seven days.

She rolled her eyes, clicking on it.

"We've discussed worse," Dylan laughed, deciding to check his sister's mental status. "Anyway, you got a week before you get the ol' ball and chain. Any plans? Aside from the rehearsal this afternoon of course. Father will kill you if you miss it...again."

"Don't remind me." Sophia grumbled, opening up Wellington's text. A picture of his dick greeted her. His text at the bottom of it.

"This is what you have to look forward to, darling. See you at two sharps. Mwah. Much love my little cumquat."

Sophia hissed in displeasure, typing back a quick response.

"OMG, ew! You sick arse! Don't be sending me child pornography!"

"You could always run away from home? I mean, you are of legal age to refuse." Dylan replied, wondering why she was bothering with marrying a tar bell.

In that second, Wellington's response popped up.

"It's my dick, sugar tits. You better be nice to me or I'll tell your father you're being difficult. We all know how well that went last time, don't we?"

His words practically oozed narcissism. It jumped right from the screen to a more unpleasant memory.

Sophia felt her cheeks flush with anger, furiously typing back a response, simultaneously keeping up her verbal conversation with Dylan.

"If that's what I got to look forward to, I may as well elope with the local milkman. Tell me Wellington, does your dick grow or come in adult size when you're turned on? Because I'm rather disappointed to be honest. I thought there was more to you than that. Also, mention this convo to my father and I will be sure to shrink your knob goblin another inch by soccer balling it into what's left of your gonads."

"You know how that went when I protested last time. My arm still has bruises. Thankfully for small favors, my black eye no longer needs medical attention. Although, just between us; I don't think I could take another beating like that. Best to play ball, I find life goes smoother that way. Just be happy you were born father's favorite. I got the shit end when I was conceived with two legs, a hole and D cups." Sophia sighed, throwing her phone on the nightstand.

Dylan snorted.

"I'm hardly the golden child, Soph. He sees his investments more prominent with you. I don't see the importance, but I don't concern myself with such matters to begin with. I'm a musician, not a businessman." Dylan said, his tone more of a loss to the conversation. He just couldn't relate. He could only sympathize.

Another response was then received by her future Husband.

"Don't worry, darling. I won't mention a word. I don't have to. He's got a clear view of my phone. We just concluded our meeting. Daniel was filling me in on last minute details for our wedding. He's standing right next to me; says he wants to have a quick word."

"Fuck me. I'm in trouble." Sophia groaned, hearing her phone beep. He was calling on the other line. "Father's calling; I got to go. Love you, Dy. Stay out of mischief. Unlike yours truly."

Not waiting for a response, she clicked it to the other line.

"In my defense, he –"

Daniel's growl cut her off.

"I DON'T care! You two are going to get along; even if I have to handcuff you to him for the foreseeable future. Childhood is over, luv. It's time you grow up and accept that you have an obligation to continue Stone & Kayleaf Finance and Law. You two are our future. Don't you get that?"

Sophia looked down, dismayed to say the least.

"Fine, but tell him to stop sending me dick pics. Next time, I'll send them to the press with a photoshopped picture of a lolli at the end of it." She threatened, her hand balling in.

Wellington cackled.

"You're lucky to marry the likes of me, luvvie. I could have any girl I want, but I choose you. Not because I was forced to. I just think you're a conquest to be won and I always win. This challenge will be no different." Wellington purred, indicating he was smirking at his future wife's stunned silence.

"Try all you desire. My heart will never be yours. I can't be bought, no matter the price." Sophia vowed softly, feeling her lifeforce melancholy.

Daniel laughed with Wellington.

"It has nothing to do with love, daughter. It guarantees me that our corporation survives long after I'm gone. It's probably the only reason I didn't make your mother abort you. God rest her soul. It was a sort of reminder that even a woman has her purpose. Yours is sealed. You know what will happen if you try to shirk your responsibilities," Daniel warned, clearing his throat. "It's late. To bed with you. We will see you bright tomorrow afternoon."

With that, the line beeped. They had ended the call, leaving Sophia more forlorn.

Turning her head, she walked to her balcony, throwing open the double door to the bright moon shining bright above. It was slightly construed by cloudy skies, but she pleaded with its creator nonetheless.

"I don't know if you're listening, but I beseech you; I plead with all my soul, that this wedding never takes place. I wish to be free. I wish I had a new life," Sophia begged, stepping out, placing her left hand on the guard railing. "I don't deserve it, I know. It's just that – "She stopped to swallow down her emotions. "It's just that, if I marry; I want it to be for love. It seems impossible, but you are the creator. So, I put my faith in whatever you deem my destiny."

Sophia waited to see if she would get some sort of signal, but when the moon remained unreeling, she decided to go to bed.

However, had she looked down; Sophia Stone would have noticed a tall silhouette standing as still as death himself, his dark green eyes stalking her retreating figure. He had heard everything.

The man could make the little flower's wish come true. It just wouldn't be the happily ever after she was expecting.

A deep, dark chuckle rose from his throat, his footsteps fading away into the night. He had gone there to scope out detail for a possible hit job; what he left with, was an idea.

He was going to kidnap his target's daughter. She was the key component to controlling this whole operation. A power Sophia herself didn't even realize.
♠ ♠ ♠
A new version to this story that I HOPE to actually finish.