Status: In Progress

The Silence That Surrounds *New Version*

Chapter 1

Two the following day:

Sophia shook her head, arms crossing stubbornly over her chest.

“Nope. If you think I’m wearing that wedding dress, you are crazier than I am for even going along with this.” Sophia hissed out with displeasure, her tussled curls waving delicately about.

Wellington smirked; her father having just revealed what was picked out by all the men involved. He knew she’d hate it – one of the main reasons he talked Daniel Stone into it. The dress didn’t leave much imagination of what laid underneath.

“Sophia – “Daniel warned, trying to hand her the garment. She wouldn’t touch that fugly piece of slag-looking cloth to save her life.

“If YOU like it so much, father, then YOU wear it!” Sophia exploded; her patience pushed to a limit even she could see was getting ready to turn nasty. Facing away from Daniel, she walked to a chair a few feet, falling into it tiredly. This whole thing was utterly ridiculous.

Silence met the air, turning it toxic. They were staring at Sophia incredulously. It was as though the dress they asked her to wear was pink with frilly bows. Had it been, she would have worn it without complaint; even if she hated pink and anything resembling a bow. This dress was short and leather. It didn’t hide anything. That was what she had issue against.

Daniel let out a slow breath, trying to extinguish his own temper. He walked to her, throwing the dress across her lap and bending to her level like he used to when she was a little girl.

Sophia hesitated to look into the man’s face. He was as cruel a father as he was a businessman. This was an inauguration to solidify a permanent leadership. To complete this, she must marry her counterpart; her future depended on it. Somehow, someway, they must coexist to guarantee their family stays intact. Dylan didn’t know his father threatened Sophia with his wellbeing and she wouldn’t mention it to him. As much as she questioned this proposal; the girl would shield Dylan from this life. Daniel knew this.

“Sophia? Look at me.” Daniel glowered, placing his hand underneath her jaw and jerking up none-too gently. Seeing the dark scowl on her father’s face made her swallow unintentionally. His hand cupped tighter, trapping her petrified stare. She looked like a trapped doe. Her beautiful deep blues, blinking rapidly to prepare for a possible strike.

“Oh, Daniel; lay off the girl, yeah? If I was a pretty little thing like her, I’d want to keep my body hidden from others too. There are too many imperfections to let her wear something that revealing. Let her try on a dress of her choice and we can vote. That is democracy, is it not?” Wellington’s father, Worthington questioned.

“It’s not when I’m the only minority. Face it, it will be three against one. I’m not going to win.” Sophia grumbled, wrapping her arms around the leather garment. Daniel removed his hand with a smile.

“You’re learning.” He chittered lightly, pleased to see his daughter was getting the picture. She was simply a means to a continuance of Stone & Kayleaf when their fathers could no longer run the company. Happiness was a state of mind in their eyes and meant nothing.

“No,” Sophia disagreed glumly. “I just know that this dress was picked out to give your fellow associates a hardon during the ceremony. I look like a street walker. The only thing that’s missing is a ballgag and I’ll look like the perfect slag for a great evening BDSM session.” Her voice turning bitter.

Wellington smirked at the image.

“I put one on layaway for our consummation. It’s going to be a rocking night for us, baby.” Wellington winked, receiving a slap upside his head from his father.

“That talk is improper, lad. I’ve taught you better.” Worthington chastised. Sophia’s mouth ran away from her, being so use to returning his insults.

“The only thing you’re going to be rocking that night is your hand or a two-shilling hooker. Personally, I think she should raise her rates. I wouldn’t sleep with you if you were the last lad in England.” She snarked, throwing herself away from Daniel’s grab.

“ENOUGH!” Worthington yelled, letting out a huff. He pointed toward the door. “You both are dismissed. We will settle this later. Wellington? Go to Stone and Kayleaf, we have a business meeting in forty-five minutes. Al will drive Sophia home first. I expect you two, to conversate like mature adults. If Al says you’ve acted otherwise; I will chain you both together until the wedding!”

Sophia didn’t spare them a glance. She took her dress without another word and walked away, heading down the long isle they had rehearsed at.

“Sophia? You WILL wait for me.” Wellington demanded sternly, jogging to catch up. When he reached where she had stopped, the young Romeo hooked his arm around her waist.

Side by side, they looked like the perfect couple. Bright blue eyes and sandy blonde corn yellow hair, styled back in a fancy gel that cost six hundred pounds an ounce made his tall, lanky six-foot, three figure even more predominate. His face wasn’t burdened down by age. He was young, much more youthful than his age suggested. Twenty-five going on sixteen. His clean-cut jaw line topped Wellington’s precision. Dylan once told the young corporate mogul he was a woman’s wet fantasy come to life.

 As guessed, Wellington hadn’t been a fan of the younger Stone since their first meeting. Sophia didn’t disagree with her brother’s observation. He was; especially in his Armani Tux. Unfortunately, it was his attitude that broke the illusion.

Sophia on the other hand, was ragged on at every turn. She was beautiful, save for the jagged scars on her back. Those couldn’t be covered; not even surgically. They were due to her mother whipping her unconscious when she was three. The belt her mother used, stripped her flesh to the muscle.

That could be fixed, but her mum wanted to make sure Sophia knew what consequences were. She threw petrol on top of her back and lit a match. Luckily, Daniel had luckily chosen then to come home. When he saw the scene, he got the young redhead to A&E.

Flinching at Wellington’s touch, Sophia maneuvered her hand forcing it into his, removing his arm from her waist.

“You don’t own me. If we’re to keep up appearances, then a simple hold of hands will do.” Sophia grumbled, knowing her tread was dangerously close to wearing thin. Wellington smirked, reaching over to plant a kiss on her cheek.

“Whatever you say, darling.” He bowed, moving to stand in front of her. Sophia stopped, frowning. He moved a piece of loose-leaf hair from her face to behind her ear. It bothered the boy to no end when she wore her hair so close to her face.

Sophia may have lasting scars, but her spirit never dampened, not even when circumstances were stacked against her.

Standing five foot, seven inches; Sophia could be considered unnaturally underweight for her age. Weighing only a hundred-fourteen pounds (52kg), she knew that sustaining life was all about balance. Sadly, there wasn’t much of that in her world. She ate once a day if she was lucky. It was a constant fight. If they weren’t working her like a horse, she was attending prior engagements with Wellington for the sake of their future company.

Her deep blue eyes blinked up innocently at the man she would soon call husband and smiled. His cold blues stared back, detached.

“Wear your hair up next time. It’s disgusting to have it hang over your eyes and so close to your mouth.” He admonished, stepping back in place to lead them out. Sophia’s hand balled into a fist.

“Don’t even think it, babe. I wore a cup for just the occasion. Besides, I’m merely suggesting, yeah? My opinion means shit; being as you are a strong, confident woman. Why should a mere suggestion bother you so much? Unless of course, you know I’m right?” He continued, opening the door of the cathedral to the outside. Their limo driver was waiting out in front, door already parted.

Sophia didn’t bother to reply. She let him lead her to the awaiting vehicle and help her in.

“Good afternoon, Ms. Stone,” Al greeted, turning to nod toward Wellington. “And you, Master Kayleaf. How was your rehearsal?”

He shut the door once the couple had gotten in.

“As good as to be expected, Al. Thank you.” Wellington replied respectively, taking out his phone to check his business emails.

Al got into the driver’s side door on the side Sophia was sitting and began to get ready to take the couple to their respective places. He cleared his throat awkwardly.

“Ms. Stone? I’m afraid I won’t be able to pick you up to take you to your wedding. I have a doctor’s appointment. However, my son, Louis, will be picking you up. He’s young, around your age. He has green eyes and sandy brown hair. His last name is Craig. Louis Craig. He’s agreed to drive; as this appointment is the only one I could make on such short notice. If it’s alright that is?” Al rushed to explain, slightly relieved when he saw her million-dollar smile staring back at him from the rearview mirror.

“It’s no bother at all, Al. I would be honored. I’ve yet to meet your son; you’ve been working for us for almost ten years. It’s about time I get to meet the strapping lad I’ve heard so much about.” Sophia replied excitedly, her mood picking up. Al was always a pleasure to talk with.

“He can take her, but tell him not to expect a shilling for it. We pay for your services, not your family.” Wellington replied absently, clicking furiously at his cellphone.

Sophia turned to him with a scowl, reaching up and snagging his phone.

“Oi!” Wellington exclaimed, grabbing the device back. “Hands off, dwelling wench!”

“Eat me, rat dick! Stop being such a twat! He will be paid for his service, even if I have to pay him with my own money. Stop trying to control everything. That’s how you wake up without your balls.” Sophia warned, knowing she would have them in her pocket sooner or later – as she’s being carted to the insane asylum.

“We’ll be at Stone and Kayleaf in around twenty or so, Master Wellington. We’ll drop you off first; being as you are cutting it close for your afternoon meeting. I will get Ms. Stone home after.” Al interrupted, stopping the young man from biting back a retort to his vexing bride to be.

“Just get me there as fast as is possible. Any more time with this demon bitch from hell, I’ll be wanted for manslaughter charges.” Wellington growled, seeing Sophia’s smile turn wicked.

“Manslaughter? If I have to spent another twenty in your presence, I’ll be brought up on straight murder. So, yes, I believe it’s wise Mr. Gayleaf get to his meeting as quickly as you can drive.” She agreed, knowing she still had power enough to press his buttons. It drove him nuts when she purposely called him gay.

Al pressed down on the acceleration, hoping to get Wellington there alive. Things were escalating.

“Kayleaf, darling. You’ll be screaming that last name on our wedding night.” He chided with a wink, looking back down at his cellphone.

“Only in your wet dream nightmare. The only time you’ll be yelling my name, is when you’re begging me not to chop your nay-nays off.” Sophia muttered, letting tense silence take ahold of the inside. Luckily, it only lasted a short ten minutes.

Wellington didn’t even bat an eye; his attention fully on his phone, smiling fondly at the screen. It was no secret he was sleeping with one of his many girlfriends.

“You can take the bunco out of the class act, but you can’t take class out of a bunco. Stop thinking with your tallywacker and return the blood to your upper head. It’s in desperate need of a fresh supply.” He chuckled, opening his door when they safely pulled to a stop.

“See you tomorrow, luv. We have a meeting at 9 sharps.” He blew her a kiss, shutting the door and walking to the entrance of Stone and Kayleaf, inc. Sophia’s cheeks turned a flush red. He annoyed her to no end.

“Eat me.” She argued, knowing he didn’t hear her. Al drove off, trying to get the young lady home. He could see the day’s events taking its toll. Sadly, her nightmare was just beginning.

Behind their limo, unbeknownst to Al or herself, a black van lagging back. The mysterious occupants stopped downwind, their stealth precision studying every detail of their next victim’s routine. They had a week; a drastic decree in time, but this was not their first abduction. They would achieve their orders, no matter the cost.

Their plan was to grab her on the way to the alter. It was their only window opening. If they failed, they knew the punishment would be worse than death. So, they couldn’t fail and like the previous times before; they wouldn’t.

******

A/N: New idea I'm working with to help the plot advance. The execution scene will still happen and I'm combining old with new ideas. Hope you like it. Thanks for reading.