Status: In Progress

The Silence That Surrounds *New Version*

Chapter 2

His jaded green eyes stared forward blankly, eyeing the limo in front, his glare narrowing on the stood-still vehicle. It was parked directly in front of Stone & Kayleaf inc. Because the weather was cooling, it ran to keep whoever the driver was inside. Sadly, nothing could be said about conditions in their own van.

“So, how am I pulling this off, Harry? Run it by me again, mate. I don’t quite get the bait and switch approach here.” An older man on his left pipped up. This annoyed the young leader.

“The driver has an appointment. You intercept his son, incapacitate him and then go to her home. She comes out, you drive to the meeting location and we take care of the rest, together.” Harry explained as minimally as possible. He hated talking, words seemed pointless in their line of work. Not that they didn’t plan, they just did it in sections.

“Yeah, I got that much. Do you want me to kill the dude or just put him in the boot?” Louis pressed, making Harry’s glare harden.

“Louis? I don’t give a fuck what you do. Kill him, marry him, Scottish tap dance with an Irishman on his face for all I bloody care! Just get the bride to the location and do me a favor?” Harry paused, moving his head in, lowering his voice. “Do it discreetly. You almost got us caught last time.”

Louis gawked at him in either disbelief or awe. With the older man, one could never tell.

“Shayeah – because you can abduct someone without being suspicious! Why on EARTH and God’s green Heaven does your father WANT ta stir up a dog’s turd of a situation with Daniel Stone? He – “

Harry slammed his hand on the wheel, his temper boiling over.

“Because my FATHER is batshit crazy! I don’t KNOW why. If I did, I’d tell ya. Louis? Mate? Please stop asking stupid questions. Just follow your instincts and I’ll take care of everything I need to. Zayn will be our driver back to the cabin after you get to the advantage point; we’ll be in the back with Ms. Stone.”

Louis sighed, rubbing the oncoming headache away.

“This won’t end well.”

Harry shrugged.

“Maybe, but Damien wants her.” He dismissed, keeping his eye on the driver parked in front of them.

“So? I want to go to a brothel, but you don’t see me breaking protocol to go stick my tip to get it wet, do ya? Your father ain’t playin’ with a full deck, mate. It’s been thirty years. Bloke needs to let it go or get a hoe.” Louis argued, not wanting to stay here anymore. They had been there since sunrise. He actually felt a little sorry for Stone’s driver.

“So? Louis, we have an obligation to get it done or our dicks are going on the chopping block. Speaking of, how long is this girl’s work day? Jesus, she’s been in there for twelve hours.” Harry banged his head back against the van seat. He was tired, cold and hungry.

Louis didn’t know if he should correct his younger counterpart. They had technically been there thirteen hours.

“Actually –“ He began carefully, but Harry cut him off.

“Correct me, Tomlinson and I’ll punch your two front teeth out.” Harry glowered, knowing Louis had to be literal about everything. Louis shut his mouth with a click, letting the silence overtake them. They got back to watching, making sure everything looked in place.

Louis reached into his side pocket, pulling out a small bag of sunflower seeds. Harry’s eyes left the limo.

He watched Louis open the sunflower seeds and begin to pour them into his mouth, chewing obliviously. His cerulean eyes never left in front of him, but the task itself was mundane at best. If something didn’t change soon, he was going to fall asleep.

Harry cleared his throat, making Louis break contact with the car.

“What the fuck are you doing?” He demanded, watching Louis nonchalantly swallow the seeds in his mouth.

“I’m eating. Geez, if you wanted some, all you had to do was ask.” Louis rolled his eyes, handing Harry the other half of the bag.

Harry ripped it from Louis’ hand and opened the door, flinging the seeds out onto the London streets for the pigeons. This made Louis frown.

“Niall should have food set out when we return, you can wait. We need to pay atten – “He fell silent, watching Wellington and Sophia come out of their ivory tower. Sophia was sporting a black eye, dry tearstains streaking her otherwise unmarred face. Wellington was guiding her quickly to their limo, practically pushing her into the back. He got in a second later, shutting the door.

Louis cocked his head, curiosity mirroring his expression.

“Rough day at the office, looks like. Ms. Stone certainly didn’t have that shiner when she went in earlier. This schedule seems rather arbitrary at best. It has no structure, the lass – WHOA!” Louis exclaimed, pointing excitedly, watching the limo door suddenly fly open; Wellington’s lanky form flying out of the opening to the ground. “Go lassy! Kick him in the knights!” Louis cheered, completely forgetting himself. It was quite the sight, seeing the redhead follow out and proceed to scream obscenities at the playboy model.

“Shut up!” Harry exclaimed, turning to punch Louis in his chest.

“Why?! She’s kicking his ass!” Louis smirked, his dull cerulean blues filling with sadistic excitement. He was like a kid on Christmas morning. Sadly, it was unamusing for the leader; mostly because they needed to be inconspicuous.

“I can see that, Louis! Now, get down!” Harry ducked low in his seat, trying not to get spotted. Louis just sat there with a stupid smirk, until Harry pulled him down to the ground. They both looked like crouching idiots.

“Fuck you!” Sophia cried, stomping her heeled foot onto Wellington’s crotch, electing a scream.

Harry flinched at the sight; Louis chuckled. Something was finally happening after a week of following the odd couple. Fortunately, Al dove from the driver’s side and picked Sophia up under her arms, putting the mad-lass back in her respective seat, simultaneously closing her door.

He turned to Wellington, pointing back toward the building.

“I’m taking her home. Go back to your meeting, mate. She’ll see you bright as rain tomorrow at the Cathedral.” Al said, trying to deescalate a situation.

” She knows I’m right!” Wellington screamed, receiving a push from Al once he helped the lad back to his feet.

“Ms. Stone will see you tomorrow, sir. Have a lovely night.” Al dismissed, getting back in to drive his employer home.

Harry scrambled behind the steering wheel, starting up the van. Louis returned to sit next to Harry, keeping mental notes on the unfolding drama.

“Wonder what that was all about?” Louis questioned, watching London whiz by. It wasn’t a wonder he truly cared about, but it was all rather interesting. Rich people were supposed to be carefree. Obviously, Ms. Stone wasn’t granted that luxury. Her whole world revolved around meetings, wedding plans and playing the perfect daughter. All of which never seem to be enough for Daniel Stone.

Though, they say you never truly know what you have until it’s gone.

“Maybe he asked to borrow a sanitary napkin for his surgically made cunt?” Harry replied bitterly. He seemed bothered by something, but God knew what. Louis knew the younger lad would never tell him. So, he left his counterpart to follow their victim. It was one sense to reality the older bloke understood. Was it fair?

No, not entirely, but it was their life.

Sighing tiredly, they tailed their kidnapping victim to her house, driving by it when the other vehicle turned down the road toward a huge mansion in the distance.

“Let’s go home.” Harry murmured, heading out of London to the more rural area. It was going to be as rather early start tomorrow, considering Louis had to track down Al’s son, before he had a chance to pick up their blushing bride.

“Yeah – it’s going to be an early night. Make sure to have everything we need tomorrow to pull this off. Rope and tape are already back there. Just need to borrow some sedatives from Liam.” Louis said, listing off a few other items in his head to grab.

“Have Zayn attach the four-points. We’ll keep her in the guestroom – considering our basement is currently occupied.”

Louis gave Harry a sideways glance.

“Damien gave the order already, didn’t he? Bloke ain’t much use ta us anymore. He doesn’t even have a tongue – “Louis flinched, deciding that he shouldn’t try changing Harry’s mind. If the leader wanted Ms. Stone to stay in the guest room, then they would accommodate.

“Zayn got the order. He said he’d have it taken care of by the time we got home.” Harry assured, turning left.

Louis nodded, looking out the window to watch the scenery. He loved talking, just as much as he loved the silence. There was something about both that calmed him. Harry didn’t entertain anymore detail, choosing to focus on driving. They knew things could go wrong, but for some reason; both men felt more at peace on their drive back than they had in a long while. Despite having seen Sophia kick the shit out of Wellington, the two weren’t all that concern.

Although, if they had an ounce of sense – they really should have been.