Past or Future?

Chapter XX -Heartbreak-

The grim reaper looked eerily at me as I entered the the shop. Every corner is covered in cotton and spiders, fake blood placed on every skeleton and all over the figurines, bats hanged at the top, dried flowers used as a confetti, lights dimmed giving the place a soft glow. Carved pumpkins whether small or big on every table and candles placed inside to give it a lively look.

I arrived here earlier to change into my costume and with the help of Joville's artistic skills in makeup I was able to pull it off. I am dressed in my costume and to add effect, I'm carrying a ringmasters cane and the top hat completed the whole look. I supervised every corner of this shop from food down to the entertainment section, and with the help of the team, things went on smoothly so far.

"Are you going to hit me with that whip?" Joville eyed my fearfully. I stepped closer to her threateningly playing along.

"Disobey me and I will" in my most dark and cold voice. Joville bit her lip.

"Oh my god that was so ugh" I laughed playfully cringing at the moment.

"You did look convincing though" Joville laughed along.

"Nah, whipping and all that weird shit is not my thing" I shuddered.

Joville shrugged and turned her attention to her clipboard. She looked like a goddess who rose from the grave in her costume. With the smoky eye,her eyebrows perfectly trimmed, the gold headdress, gold from top to bottom. She did really well in her make up, even her skin is glowing, when light hits her the golden flakes makes her sparkle even more. I took a moment to appreciate her physique, absorbing every detail there is.

"You look stunning, Cleopatra" oh no, my brain and tongue are not cooperating again. Joville looked up surprised.

"You look jaw dropping as well, Ringmaster" she winked and walked towards the food section.

The party is slowly starting to fill with people but I haven't seen Mr. and Mrs. Blossom yet, maybe they'll be here a bit later. I walked over to Dan and Jane who was in reception, in charge of whoever was entering. Both of them looked terrifying as well, with their pale and shiny complexion. Joville insisted she wanted it shiny because as for her, Draculas look so handsome and pretty that they spark. Fangs with fake blood, and completing the look is their cape. They look good together, real life draculas.

"Hey badass ringmaster, any targets for that whip?" why is it they always notice the whip. Jane looked at Dan teasingly, Dan looked at me warningly.

"Would you like to whip someone tonight Mrs. Dracula?" I looked at Dan smirking.

"Ha ha joke all you want Art, karma might be a bitch sometimes" Dan crossed his arms on his chest

Jane and I laughed playfully "What did I do?"

"Enjoying yourselves I see, what an amazing transformation you've done" and there stood Mr. and Mrs. Blossom in their own costume. The three of us stood straighter than usual keeping a straight face.

"Good evening Ma'am, Sir. We were waiting for you" Jane politely greeted them.

"Good evening to you three, where are the others? How are things? Are our guests being taken care of?" Mr. Blossom inquired.

"Joville is by the food stand supervising and Reese is on the DJ booth assisting" I smiled at them.

"You outdid yourself on this event Ringmaster, job well done" Mr. Blossom nodded approvingly and Mrs. Blossom looked around appreciatively.

"Thank you sir, but I couldn't take all the credit. I have an amazing team who helped me" I placed my arms on both Jane and Dan's shoulder.

"Let's check out the food love, see how it looks" Mrs. Blossom dragged her husband waving at us absentmindedly.

"I couldn't let out a squeak" Dan inhaled sharply. Jane smiled appreciatively at me.

"I'm going over to Reese's you two gonna be okay?" without saying a word, they waved me off.

Reese was the joker which means his costume is a bit popular. I saw jokers here and there but it looks like he doesn't seem to mind. He looks good, his face full of paint and he wore a red tux.

"Can you crack a joke?" I poked his back.

"Ow, what the- oh hey ringmaster, sorry but all jokes are suspended for now. It's ruins my costume" Reese grinned his lipstick masterly drawn.

"A lot of make up professionals would disagree with the way you paint your lips"

"I'm original and this is my style, can't blame them if they all bow down to me" Reese face looks smug and I roll my eyes.

"Idiot" I slapped his shoulder.

By now the party is in full swing, with drinks distributed people dance in the music, having their self confidence boosted. I looked around, I recognize some of Mr. Blossom's guests but others are a question mark to me. It may be because of the makeup, some of them wore it a bit heavily on their faces looking exactly like the costume they're wearing. I stood by the corner leaning on the cane scanning every person I see, a cup on my other hand. The music changed it's mood, it was now mellow and soft as requested by someone shouting by the DJ booth, who I don't know. It's a bit off the mood but eh no one seems to care. People on the dance floor now swayed with the music holding their partners. I felt awkward leaning there so I decided to find another spot, a hand on my shoulder stopped me.

I turned around, a girl with red hair, light blue painted all over her face and her arms, stitches drawn on her mouth, neck, collar bones, elbows. She looked like the girl on the movie "A nightmare before Christmas.

"Would you care for a dance, ringmaster?" that voice.

"Jella?" I asked surprised and shocked.

"So surprised to see me?" she smiled.

"I'm sorry I didn't recognize you. You look scary at the same time fantastic" I joked lightening the mood.

"You look sharp as well Nikola, shall we?" Jella motioned to the dance floor.

I stood motionless and she rolled her eyes, Jella dragged me on the dance floor. We faced each other, she placed both of her arms around my neck enclosing her fingers, I placed mine on the back of her hips making her come closer to me. Together, we swayed slowly with the music our eyes not breaking eye contact. I placed my forehead on hers closing my eyes, opening them again I placed my lips near her ear.

"How are you doing? I know we haven't seen each other for a while" I whispered.

"I'm okay Nikola, how about you? I see you and Joville are getting along well"

"We have to get along eventually, she's my workmate. What makes you think that?" I leaned a little on her head.

"I saw the two of you earlier, looking at each other. Well, mostly it was you, studying her face" her face moved, I guess she's grinning catching me red handed.

"How are you here?" changing the subject always works right?

"My mother was invited and she tagged me along saying this type of event could take my mind off things. She went home early though after spotting you were here."

I frowned, "Why? Is she mad at me?"

"No, she said it was a perfect opportunity for me to make amends and also, to say goodbye" her voice dropped at the last word.

I jerked pulling my head back, her face grave, her eyes broken. A lump filled my throat "Why? Where are you going? Can't I visit you?"

Jella shook her head and looked down "No, you can't, Nikola. It's for the best and it's for us, both of us"

I was beyond confused "You're leaving me, again? How can this help us?"

"You'll see Nikola, as you reflect on your life and the people around you, I want you to be clear, I want you to choose who you really want. I'm leaving not because I don't love you but because I want you to grow as a person. I want you to have no distractions. I want you to be sure of me.

What I'm doing is not a punishment but rather freedom, hopefully by the time I come back to you, you'll still be waiting for me" Jella's voice broke, choking back some unwanted emotions. I stood there watching her, too shocked to even say anything. Jella removed her arm and held me by the shoulders, she gave a sweet and final kiss on the lips then looked at me sadly before leaving me on my own on the dance floor.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey Cuties! Please recommend and subscribe if you enjoyed reading. Share your thoughts on the comments section in this chapter. It helps me improve and motivates me to write more.

Thank you! Stay Safe :)
xoxo