Past or Future?

Chapter XXI -Book of Life-

I stared at my reflection on the mirror, my hair wet, my eyes a bit puffy, my lips parted, my nose cringe, there were small pimples at the side of my face. Hmm, looks like my period's coming soon. I look sad and tired, as any normal person would see themselves they smile and talk, cheer themselves up but for me, I feel pain, I'm sad, guilty, I feel like I've let another person walk away from my life and I feel so lost. I looked down hearing the soft drop of water from the faucet. Jella said it was the best for us so I have to believe and wait for her, again. She likes leaving me hanging doesn't she? I'm not surprised considering she'd done it before but this time it was different. This time she said goodbye, this time I'm waiting for her. As for now, I have to play along with the wind, see where it takes me and meet whoever is meant in my path of growing. There was a knock on the door. Quickly, I rubbed my hair then headed to the door, peeking from the side window it was Dan.

"Hey girlfriend" I stepped aside to let him in.

"Wassup nugget, even though it's obvious you just had your shower it isn't enough to hide that puffy cream puff eyes. How are you?" Dan placed food on the table and sat down on the couch.

Three weeks after that party, Dan and I have been close. We shared our moments together and talked about work and other stuff. Dan was the only one who knew about what happened between me and Jella, and I asked him not to tell anyone especially Joville cause I know that girl would flip.

I smiled taking a seat beside him "Feeling better than before, what did you bring?"

"Chicken wings and some fries and ice cream, I know how much you like those" Dan handed me the containers.

"Thanks I owe ya, so whats up?"

"Well, me and Reese had a date night" Dan's eyes were shimmering with delight smiling teasingly at me.

"And? don't cut your sentence moron" I prompted.

Dan rolled his eyes "It was pretty normal actually, not normal normal. We went outside town at a carnival, I forgot it's name. It was amazing we played games he even got me a cute stuff toy, rode the roller coaster, the oh so famous carousel and lastly the most cliché of them all, the ferris wheel. The view was absolutely stunning I couldn't take the image out of my head. We should go there you like a double date with Joville" Dan was now overly excited he has his fists in the air waving them.

I smiled crookedly unsure about the whole double date idea ""Did Reese suspect you like him?"

Dan shook his head "He said he wanted a bros night and that was his way of unwinding, unusual I know. Not the kind any dude would go for"

"Look, it sounds fun but we should tag Jane along, Joville might have the wrong idea about me" I groaned inwardly, again.

Dan tilted his head sideways looking at me "Don't you like Joville Art? Not the friendly way, the other one"

"I don't know Dan, things are complicated and also my feelings mix up one another. One minute I see her as a good friend and the next when we get too close to each other, the atmosphere around us changes. I can't quite explain it and I feel that with her not with Jella" I bit my fry

Dan pursed his lips "Watch this movie with me"

"What's that?"

"The answer to all your doubts and questions, it's called "The Book of Life" don't mind the childishness of this but listen carefully through their dialogues, you might look at it in a different perspective"

I shrugged, I've never seen that before, this can be interesting.

***

Dan and I walked alongside the pavement, my heart feels hopeful and and he was right. That movie gave me a new perspective, was well written and truly heart warming, why haven't I heard of it before? The song still ringing in my head.

"Do you want a wager?" Dan smirked.

I am so gonna regret this "How about a dare? An official dare with written papers signed" I looked at him challengingly.

Dan raised an eyebrow "I'm impressed, let's see. How about you date Joville? Make her fall for you hard and in return I try to charm Reese into dating me. If you don't do it then you'll have to resign and the same goes to me"

"Wait wait, personal issues shouldn't go with work. That's out of line" I frowned.

"Okay, how bout date Joville and if you don't you pay me let's say one hundred thousand dollars?" Dan laughed.

"Where the hell do you think I have that kind of money? What if both parties reject us?"

Dan looked thoughtfully "I highly doubt Joville would but as for Reese I'm on 50/50. But if so both parties reject us then were even" he shrugged.

"One. Hundred. Thousand. Dollars." I emphasized each word "With all the legal documents and signed papers, what kind of lunatic would agree to a dare that would have the possibility of sending him or her to jail" my face was so disoriented. Dan bit his lip holding back his laugh.

"Jail is an over reaction, maybe settle the fee to being a loan, you know. If you don't do it or you fail, you'll have to pay me a measurable amount each month until it's all paid off"

Not only I changed my perspective in love but also to the person I'm talking to right now, Dan is seriously wanting this.

"Eh, not sure what if something bad happens? Blackmail is always one of the options"

Dan looked surprised "Are you saying you don't trust me?"

"What? No, no it's not that. It's just. . very risky. . and I don't want Joville to think that I only dated her because it was a dare, no feelings attached" I bit my lip my head was pounding.

"Let the day pass Art, you'll think about it" Dan walked over to the bus and climbed on.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey Cuties! Please recommend and subscribe if you enjoyed reading. Share your thoughts on the comments section in this chapter. It helps me improve and motivates me to write more.

Thank you! Stay Safe :)
xoxo