Past or Future?

Chapter XXV -Aftershock-

I steered the bicycle absentmindedly thinking about Jane's confession. She likes Dan, Dan likes Reese, Reese likes me? I think, it's hard to tell and I like who? Joville? Possibly. And Joville likes me. What kind of whirlwind is that? We're like dominoes falling on the wrong tile. It' amusing to see it that way but also confusing, Jane is threatening me in which in my own defense she sees it the wrong way. Maybe because of the way we bond at the shop, there are flirtatious movements and words but for us, those are just playful banter.

"Art! Hit the brake!"

All at once, everything became a blur. I was on the ground my head pounding, my legs tangled on the bike and pain shooting out on my left hand. I tried lifting it and groaned loudly, I felt something wet on my head and the last thing I see is Joville calling me out but as soon as she got closer I hear nothing, then my vision went blank.

***

I see a girl standing in front of me, her face was blank, no nose, eyes, lips, nothing. She reached out to me and I tried reaching for her hand but as I almost touched her finger she slowly faded.

"WAIT!"

I bolted up and instantly fell back on the bed. I groaned, my vision was blurry but I could tell there was someone looking at me. I looked at another direction and blinked rapidly, it was so bright. My throat felt like sandpaper, I swallowed but still needed something to drink. My left arm feels so painful, like it's full of needles and I can't lift it, I can't even move it, when I try excruciating pain immediately spread all over my body.

"Hey, relax. Please. Don't move too much especially your arm" A cool voice said.

My view slowly became clearer, I am in the hospital. My right hand had a lot of scratches and I could feel the needle inside connecting the water thingy that's dangling on the metal stand whereas my left hand is supported by some kind of brace and is heavily casted. There were wires on my chest and on the side of my head. A doctor, I presume is standing by the side holding a pen and clipboard staring straight at me looking patient as ever.

"What happened?" my voice hoarse my head was pounding again.

"You don't remember?" the doctor asked

I closed my eyes trying to recall the most recent events. My mind flashed pictures and fragments. I was in a bicycle and then there was Joville and then Atlas. "I was riding a bike. . . and. . . I was with my friend"

"Do you remember the name of that friend?"

"J-J-Joville, Can I. . have some. .water?"

The doctor went to the table and carefully placed the straw on my mouth. I drank the liquid and I never felt so relieved. I never knew drinking water would be so satisfying. He returned the cup and wrote something down on his clipboard. "Is that all?"

"Where's Atlas?"

"Is he another friend of yours?"

"He's my very best friend and I want to see him"

He nodded, "Anything else?"

"I want ice cream"

The doctor shot up his eyebrows looking amused "That's gonna have to wait. You had an accident miss Artemis, according to your friend miss Joville you were going on the wrong direction of the road you hadn't noticed a car was passing up. The driver warned by honking his horn but you were pedaling straight at his direction and eventually the two of you crashed. The driver had minor cuts, and for you, it could have been worse but thankfully you're finally awake"

"How long was I out?"

"Five days"

I stared at him wide eyed "Are you serious? Shit! I missed work the things I have to-"

"Calm down, it's okay. We contacted the owners and informed them on what happened"

I breathed a sigh of relief, still I can't go to work with this condition. "Anything more that I need to know?"

"Based on your answers today I think that fall didn't affect much of your memory though there may be some people or happenings in your life that needs visual aid to help you remember it, but just to be sure you need to stay in here for a couple more days until you regain your strength back. You broke your left arm meaning when you leave here that will have to be casted for about a month or two. You'll also have to take medication for it. Do you need any psychological sessions? This can be a traumatic experience for you"

I shook my head "I think I'll just focus on resting for now"

"All right, that's about it I'll visit you again sometime later" the doctor smiled and walked out the room. A minute passed and a jumpy Joville walked in.

"Jesus Art! You scared the shit out of me! I told you to hit the brake" Joville immediately tried to hug me.

"Ow, okay ow, easy there" I hissed.

"Shit! Sorry! Oh my god, seeing you lying there on the pavement with blood gave me nightmares. I haven't slept properly, the image keeps flashing on my dreams" she shuddered.

"Thank you, Joville, I'm sorry I put you through that. Where's Atlas?"

She smiled gratefully relief evident in her eyes "When the accident happened immediately I called the ambulance. They said pets weren't allowed in here so I had to take him home. Don't worry, I fed him earlier"

"Thank you, but how did you manage to get inside my house?"

"I looked inside your bag for the key" she smiled sheepishly "sorry"

I smiled weakly "Thank you Joville, for not leaving my side and taking care of Atlas. You know how much he means to me"

Joville took the chair nearer and placed her finger on mine gently "I was really worried Art, I thought you would never wake up and if you did wake up, I was afraid that you'd forget everything and everyone"

"Oh c'mon, how can I forget a face as beautiful as yours?"

Joville chuckled "Even on your deathbed you still manage to crack jokes"

"Well, I'm not dead thanks to you"

"Your eyebrow has been a bit slashed" she commented looking at me throughly.

"Do you have a mirror?"

Joville reached inside her bag and pulled one out facing it on my face. She was right, my right eyebrow was a bit slashed and my left cheek has a swelling bruise. "I look like shit"

"You look badass to me"

There was a knock on the door and Joville opened it, a guy holding a bouquet of pink flowers came in. Joville smiled at him and gestured me, when the bouquet was off his face it was. .

"Dan! Am I glad to see you" I smiled happily at him.

"Sleeping beauty is finally awake. How are you feeling?" he placed the flowers at the table.

I shrugged slightly "Could be worse but better"

"I'll grab something to eat, anything in particular you guys want?" Joville walked over to me and stroked the swelling cheek

"Here, and some mcnuggets for me" Dan handed him some bills.

"I'll just stick to whatever food is sent to me here, thanks" I smiled up at her. She nodded and headed out.

"What was that?" Dan looked teasingly at me.

"What?" she just stroked my cheek that's all" I looked at him guiltily.

"Something tells me it's not her that's gonna fall but it's gonna be you falling for her" Dan smirked.

"Your lucky I'm in this contraption and no it's not gonna be the other way round" the least I could do was stick my tongue out.

"Are you sure? She has been very attentive of you, you know. She stayed her slept even waiting for you to wake up" Dan looked up innocently

"I can't believe your using guilt trip on me, I didn't know that but thank you for telling me" I rolled my eyes.

Dan giggled "Oh I can't wait to get my 50 grand"

"In your dreams"
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey Cuties! Please recommend and subscribe if you enjoyed reading. Share your thoughts on the comments section in this chapter. It helps me improve and motivates me to write more.

Thank you! Stay Safe :)
xoxo