Past or Future?

Chapter XXXII -Walk Away-

I headed back to the shop for the unfinished meeting, a disaster meeting would be the title. When I entered all heads turned to me, the stillness of the room made the atmosphere a bit tense. Joville looked at me questioningly.

"Jane walked out on me, it's the first time I've seen her like that and maybe the last time?" I added a bit doubtfully sitting down beside Joville.

Dan shrugged "I didn't know she looked at me that way, never did. I even thought she would go for you" Dan looked at Reese.

"Since confessions are coming in, I'd like to unravel my own" Reese faced me "I liked you from the start Art, do you remember I tried to take you out for dinner but you refused, I had a feeling you were interested with someone else. I had a hunch it was the girl you had a dance with when we had our Halloween party but as that girl walked away, you looked so confused and broken. I don't know who that was but she is one lucky girl to have you, I just wish she knew that"

Reese then turned to Dan "I know what you and Art are up to, I heard you talking here in the office during break and I heard everything. You two had a bet between me and Joville. I don't exactly remember the details but the way I understood it is, one of you has to date one of us and if the other one fails there is some kind of punishment. When we were going out together I meant it as a friend, I never saw you as a lover, Dan, I respect you for what you are and I'm really sorry if I led you on, but friendship is all I can offer to you. I hope you would understand"

I was beyond words. This is not happening, Joville is gonna look at this the wrong way. Very slowly I turned my head to face Joville, hurt and betrayal visible in her features. I opened my mouth but no words came out. Joville grabbed her bag and walked out of the room without saying goodbye. Should I chase her? I looked at the door dumbfounded Dan elbowed me on the ribs making me jerk up. He looked me in the eyes telling me silently to go after her and I did. Quickly, I ran outside looking left then right. I turned right and jogged as quickly as I can. I scanned the crowd until I saw the familiar hair and quickly caught up to her.

"Joville. . . wait. . . let. . . me . . explain" I panted catching my breath.

"Dan made it clear Artemis, it was all true. I'm assuming you only dated me because the two of you had an agreement? Shit, I thought you liked me too Art" Joville's voice was cold and dark.

"Yes! I did like you Joville. I was bad at showing it but I really did. Why are you like this?" I grabbed her shoulder turning her around sharply.

Joville shoved my arm away looking at me icily "Now that your dating me out of that bet, did you gain anything? Am I the trophy? Will Dan give you pot money? It feels like you only dated me because something in return was more valuable to you" Joville shook her head laughing without humor "Why did I waste my time on you when you could have anyone you want" and she walked away just like that.

I was hurt by her words, my chest tightened with every outburst. This time I didn't chase her, she needed time to think and absorb it all. Why did Reese have to say it out loud and not only to the three of us, speaking of Reese I walked on the opposite direction and headed back to the shop. Just as I was about to enter the door of the office, I crouched down and listened to Dan and Reese.

"My conscience was right, you like Artemis in a more than friendly way. You never felt something for me?" it was Dan's voice.

"Yes. Artemis was one of a kind but ever since Joville came to the picture, there was something between them. Some chemistry not everyone could see. And as for you Dan, there were things that I noticed that changed in you. I thought you were trying something new so I didn't bother to ask. When we met unexpectedly with Art at that block, I noticed something with the way you looked at me and then your actions became more clearer to me. At first, I thought the two of you were going out but after that encounter, you invited me around hanging out with me more often. I see you as my close friend Dan, that will never change"

"Thank you for being honest with me, if you hadn't told me now I would still think differently. To clarify things, me and Art had an agreement on who would date either of you and that would only last for about a month and if one of us fails, the consequence would be. . money"

Silence. Neither of them spoke, I counted from one to five. . . Nothing, maybe it's my cue to go in then. I walked casually as if I hadn't heard anything. Dan had his head up looking at the ceiling and Reese stood up, grabbed his things nodded at me and walked past by leaving me and Dan to our thoughts. I sat down beside him grabbing a pen and twirling it around my hand.

"Why did we ever do that agreement anyway?" Dan spoke.

"Originally, it was suppose to be a wager but ehh none of those matter now. I just had two people walk out on me three if you include Reese that is"

"That's on me. Where's Joville? I thought you chased her?"

"I did, we argued on the street. She was angry at me because she felt like I was dating her to gain something. Her words not mine"

"So the two of you ARE dating?" it was a statement.

I sighed heavily "Newly dated. I told her not to tell anyone here because I didn't want any conflict and now look at it. Merry boo hoo Christmas" I punned.

"Merry fucking Christmas it is." Dan opened his arms above his head "Damn, I owe ya some money"

I scoffed "Forget about it, instead let's go grab a drink and drown our worries for now. This shit is just too much to handle"

"Getting drunk is always the solution. Salute!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey Cuties! Please recommend and subscribe if you enjoyed reading. Share your thoughts on the comments section in this chapter. It helps me improve and motivates me to write more.

Thank you! Stay Safe :)
xoxo