Past or Future?

Chapter IV -Strange Likeness-

I scribbled and checked each item on the shelf, making notes when they were delivered, which one's are new and which one's were old. I arranged the stocks from oldest to newest so that when my workmates would need something they would easily grab the oldest stock first rather than the other way round. I arrived half an hour earlier for my shift because Mondays are always crazy and I didn't want to risk being late. I am an inventory checker in "Green Cafe".

Usually I would be the one ordering and and receiving stocks that goes in and out of our shop, aside from that I am also assigned with payroll and attendance so mostly my work is clerical. This type of cafe is not for the typical businessmen to have their meetings but it's a shop for those who just want to relax and unwind with their busy life, have a little escape.

The place is decorated with a lot of green plants and a bunch of colorful flowers, cute lightings hang above the ceiling and the place has the vintage style look.

First to arrive is Jane, she is a sweet girl in her late twenties. Her height is around five foot four, short hair, slim figure, and has a tattoo peeking around her arm. She is the assistant cook, prepares the required utensils and chops the necessary ingredients needed throughout the day. She walks in and hugs me immediately as her way of greeting.

Next is Dan, our head cook. He is a tall guy around six foot tall and in his early thirties. He has his hair in a military cut style, he is a bit muscular but not too bulky and is clean shaven because it is required with his uniform. He is assigned with food prep and not a dish goes out without his say so. He and Jane get along fine although sometimes Dan has a temper and rarely shouts at Jane.

Then goes Reese our cashier/waiter/server/busboy, Reese is like an all out front liner. He is in his early twenties, and has that boy next door look. He has a fair complexion and curly hair, he's skinny but not to the point that he would look like he has anorexia.

A girl walked in, she's about five foot four and has a pale complexion. Her eyes emphasized and her pupils pitch black, she's not skinny nor fat just right for her body, her hair below her shoulders and her lips are parted slightly. Reese walked towards her and from the looks of it they may be looking in my direction and seems like I'm correct. Reese handed me a folder and the girl walked in taking Reese's place.

"Good morning, my name's Joville, I am Reese's partner. Mrs. Blossom told me to talk to you and introduce myself, this is my first day and I look forward to it" Joville smiled looking straight at me

When she started talking, I can clearly see Joville has braces, that explains her lips parting. There was something with this girl, I felt a tug in my heart strings and the way she looks at me although professionally I can hint she is a funny type of person.

"Good morning Joville, I am Artemis but you can call me Art for short. I am the inventory checker at the same time I am also in charge of attendance and payroll. Reese will be training you hopefully you can catch up soon, don't worry I'm not the strict type just doing my job" I smiled raising my hand to offer a handshake, Joville returned the gesture and once our fingers touched my eyes widened in the tiniest bit. I could tell Joville had the same reaction with the way her hand shook in an unnoticeable way.

"Art. That's a cool nickname, is it applicable to you?" Joville asked recovering from her strange state. Truth to be told something is up with her and I am intrigued, really intrigued.

"Sadly no, I like looking at people's art but I myself can only draw stick people and birds and trees, mountains, sunset you know, basic things" I pouted resting my chin on my knuckles.

Joville looked at my lips and back to my eyes then smiled in a cute kind of way "You haven't seen my drawings yet, I'll bet it's way worse than yours"

What is it with this girl damn, "Let's get to the basics shall we?"

It was closing time, Dan left minutes ago the only ones left are me and Joville.

"You can go if you want to" I offered, it's her first day so she must be tired, Monday is always the busiest day of the week.

"And leave you alone here? Not a chance, besides since the shifts over we can talk about non work related stuff" Joville finished wiping the utensils and grabbed her bag.

"I'm almost finished, I just need to save the data and send some reports to Mrs. Blossom" I replied typing and clicking on the computer.

"Are you in a relationship?" Joville asked nonchalantly her feet resting on another chair

"That was out of the blue"

"Are you?"

"Why the curiosity?"

"I'd like to know"

I gather the papers and placed them on the computer, I'll fix it tomorrow. Grabbed my bag and closed the door of the office. I tugged at Joville's shoulder lightly and indicated for us to leave. Joville looked at me intently waiting for the answer, rolling my eyes

"Secret" I smirked, Joville smacked my shoulder. What is wrong with this woman?!

"I'm not leaving you until you answer" Joville placed both of her arms on her chest walking alongside me.

"Then I'll go to the police station and have a restraining order on you"

"Don't you think you're being overly dramatic?" Joville rolled her eyes "c'mon tell me"

"I already told you it's a secret and your not getting an answer sooner or later" I stuck my tongue out like a child, instantly Joville grabbed my head her hands on both sides forcing me to hold still and look straight at her. We were like that for five seconds, yes I counted.

" I will know soon, you'll see" Joville looked at my lips again and released her vice like grip. I was too dumbfounded to speak, I stood there blankly not having an idea what just happened. Shaking out of my reverie, Joville walked the opposite direction without looking back. I walked onwards, something inside me was stirring, at the pit of my stomach. Arriving home, Atlas greeted me with his wet tongue on my cheek Hey Atlas, momma's having issues with her stomach about a girl she works with, what do I do? Atlas tilted his head to the side like he's understood what I said. I grabbed a glass of water and drank a few gulps staring into space, I thought about Joville and her question making my lips curve in a smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey Cuties! Please recommend and subscribe if you enjoyed reading. Share your thoughts on the comments section in this chapter. It helps me improve and motivates me to write more.

Thank you! Stay Safe :)
xoxo