Past or Future?

Chapter VII -The Mother-

There was a knock on the door. I checked the time, it was only eight thirty in the morning, who would visit me at this time of hour? Trying to get up lazily, my couch hugging my feet not wanting to let go, Atlas was already at the door I reached for the door knob and opened it. The visitor hand her hand in a fist I guess she was trying to knock again at the same time I opened. She was wearing a violetish blouse, jeans with thin brown belt, closed heels and a brown sling bag completed her look. She was wearing sunglasses so I didn't really recognize the woman, my guess is she's forty something years old.

"May I.. help you.. maam?" I asked doubtful

"Good morning, I'm sorry to disturb you young lady but is this the house of Ms. Artemis Leon?" her tone was unreadable

Should I panic now? "May I ask who's asking?" playing the safe card

The lady took off her sunglasses and she looked vaguely familiar like I've seen her before but I couldn't quite point out. "I am Evelyn Gonzales and I would like to speak to Ms. Artemis"

My mouth went dry and my eyes widened, I lost grip of the door knob. Atlas' paw was on my feet snapping me back to reality "Mrs. Gonzales, I am Artemis would you like to come in?" I spoke so nervously I didn't think my voice would come out. Never in a million years would I think she would visit me. How did she know anyway? Maybe Jella pointed it out for her.

Damn, my attire is not appropriate in this meeting it is so embarrassing. Mrs. Gonzales' eyebrows raised in surprise but didn't say a word. I stepped aside letting her in and Atlas was on the move on sniffing her feet, after a brief sniffing he walked on the opposite direction laid down and looked uninterested. Mrs. Gonzales looked around the house, her face unreadable. I wish Jella warned me that her mother was visiting, it's not that the house was messy, just a bit dusty I haven't cleaned like a week. I motioned the couch for her to sit down and I sat opposite her clenching my fingers.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit maam? Would you like something to drink?" woah even I was surprised with myself in this type of formality

"Please, call me Eve and yes do you have some water? It was a bit hot on my way here"

I nodded and stood up heading to the kitchen and prepared two glasses of water. I first swallowed a mouthful, my throat was like the Sahara desert. I returned to the living room and handed her the drink.

"Firstly I would like to apologize for my surprised early visit, I just wanted to see you in personal" Mrs. Gonzales looked at me straight in the eye not battling an eyelash. I squirmed under her gaze "Bella used to talk to me about you years ago and she even has a photograph of you. Am I right to assume you dated before?"

I don't know where this conversation is heading to but I'd like to hear more so I nodded in response.

"It is true then and now, are you seeing each other again?"

"Yes we do but we go out as friends only, the last I saw her was at the park the day her grandmother presumably your mother, died. My deepest condolences" I answered like a good student in school

Mrs. Gonzales placed her elbow on the armrest and her fingers on her chin deep in thought. "Thank you, do you plan on dating her again?"

What is it with people and dating and why me "I don't know for now Mrs.- I mean Eve, Jella left me a lot of wounds in the past and I see her differently now"

She raised an eyebrow "Jella?"

"It's my nickname for her and she insisted I keep calling her that"

"I see, well I'm not here to threaten you but I'll give you some insights and maybe things to know. For the past years after the two of you stopped dating she was with this girl Ruby, now Ruby I knew a lot more than you because they dated first and that girl came to the house where Bella lived with my mother. They were happy as far as I can see because she kept talking about her. I never questioned my daughter's sexuality, I accepted her the way she is. When I heard the two of them broke up when was that? Maybe a year or two years ago she was devastated. Ruby broke up with her but she had a reserved girlfriend, she took all her stuff in the house and Bella was helpless. I didn't like Ruby that much, she was a bit of a leech. She knew that I was abroad earning hard for Bella and she took advantage, Bella couldn't see that of course, she was in love."

Eve inhaled a long breath at the same time I did. It's like looking at Jella at another person's point of view but that view is her mother's the person who knows her best.

"I am saying all of these to you because I don't want you to get hurt by her again, I am fully aware that she was your first love and I know in your heart you have a soft spot for her. I am telling you now to be careful. If you choose to date her again, I won't stand against the both of you, I'll be supporting you but if you choose not to I will respect that. I know Ruby is out of the picture but my guess is she hasn't fully recovered from their break up and if she would go out with another person it would be because she just wants temporary attention or to have some temporary fun, you know what I mean. I don't know why she's seeing you again just be on your guard and maybe let her throw all the hate and suffering she has for Ruby maybe then she'll be healed completely"

I almost teared up with the revelation. Almost. I looked at Eve she has this soft expression, pain visible in her eyes, pain for her daughter wishing she could help her any way she can unfortunately it's something her daughter should face herself. Eve drank the rest of the water and looked at me waiting for my response.

"I know all about Ruby but not this piece, I'm glad you told me about it, I am seeing Jella now in a different light. I'm very sorry for her it must have been hard. I went through like this scenario but the irony is it's with her and it took me a year to recover. I know for sure she would be all right, your daughter's strong and she has a mother who loves her very much" I looked at Eve my eyes glistening, she stood up and gave me a hug. That special hug wherein mothers make it feel so warm and comforting. I hugged her back burrowing my head on her shoulder she reminds me of my mom and I miss my mom very much.

"Thank you for understanding dear, to be honest I like you more than Ruby" Eve stepped back and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. I smiled shyly not knowing what to say.

"When will you see her again?" Eve asked grabbing her purse

"I don't know, the first we met was when she was back in town then the second was a coincidence because I didn't know she was at the park and at that time I was walking Atlas" Atlas' head perked up at the sound of his name

"Atlas, that's a very historic name" Eve nodded in approval "As for my trouble disturbing you, can we have dinner sometime? With Jella"

"That would be nice Evelyn" I smiled genuinely thinking what the heck is going on.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey Cuties! Please recommend and subscribe if you enjoyed reading. Share your thoughts on the comments section in this chapter. It helps me improve and motivates me to write more.

Thank you! Stay Safe :)
xoxo