Status: Updates Weekly

Bottled Blue

Seventeen

Jett and I did homework at his house, but it only lasted about ten minutes. We went up to his room; he scribbled a quick journal entry and then asked his mom to give me a ride home. He didn't even come with us.

Jett's mom was kind of intimidating. She was pretty, had red hair and tattoos, and seemed really nice even though she wore things like gold gowns to galas and stuff. Now she was wearing jeans and sunglasses. I followed her to her little blue car and prayed she wouldn't try to start a conversation with me. But she did anyway.

"We're very patriotic looking, aren't we?" she said as we hopped into the car.

"We're what?"

"I mean—my hair is red, yours is blue. It's almost too bad Pearl isn't with us."

"Oh, I see. Yeah, we probably shouldn't go anywhere together."

"I like your hair, though. It doesn't look fried or anything. Very pretty."

"Oh, thanks. This is actually the first time I've ever dyed it."

"It looks really nice."

"Thanks."

"So, how long have you known Jett?"

"Um—since he and my brother got into a fight in freshman year." She nodded slowly.

"He had some trouble in freshman year."

"All from my brother, from what I understand." She winced. Like she didn't know what to say.

"You seem very nice, though. From what he's told me about you." That sparked my curiosity. Jett didn't even like me. I knew he told his mom what I said about him trying new things. But I didn't think he'd said anything beyond telling her we did homework together.

"Oh, um. Nice things, I hope," I prodded. She nodded enthusiastically.

"Yeah, he said you were trying to help him find something he's passionate about. That's a very nice thing to do."

"Oh—I wasn't really trying to help him. I just—encouraged him to push himself. I wasn't expecting him to drag me into it."

"Yeah, I'm really sorry about the nudity thing. I didn't think we'd jump into that for another few weeks. I would have warned you if I knew."

"It's cool. I've seen worse. My mom is a sex therapist." She glanced at me from the driver's seat.

"Really?" I nodded.

"Yeah, it's embarrassing."

"Huh—what's that like?" I laughed.

"Oh, jeez."

"Sorry, I shouldn't have asked that."

"It's okay. I'm used to it."

"I'll have to have a talk with her."

"Oh, God." She grinned, and it was 100% Jett's evil expression. At first, I thought he looked like his dad, but now I could see that he was Ruby Kanellis's son.

"I'm just messing with you." She pulled the car up out front of my house and looked up. "Nice place."

"Yeah, it's home. Thanks for the ride," I replied. I got my messenger bag.

"No problem, hon. Don't be a stranger."

"Yeah. I won't." I climbed out of the car, knowing full well I would be. I never intended to set foot in her house again. Or meet her, for that matter.

When I got upstairs to my room, I removed my jacket to examine the new hole in the back. I sighed heavily as I looked at the gaping tear right down the seam. There was no way I'd be able to wear it until my dad could fix it. Luckily, I had a blue one, but I'd been trying to avoid it since I dyed my hair blue.

"Aasha?" my mom called up the stairs.

"Yeah?" I replied.

"Jett is on the phone for you."

"Oh hell." I stood up and hopped down the stairs to meet her at the top of the second staircase. She handed the phone over, and I took it up to my room. "What?" I asked in a flat tone.

"Hey, um—it's Jett," he answered.

"I know. My mom told me."

"Oh. Well, I just wanted to apologize."

"For what?"

"Being a dick."

"You weren't being a dick."

"I kind of insulted you and then didn't talk to you for the rest of the afternoon."

"Yeah, well—I kind of didn't want to talk to you, so it's okay."

"Well—I really wanted us to be friends, but I guess that will never happen. So I'm sorry for dragging you to my art class. Sorry for messing with you. And I'm sorry that I saw your panties. I really didn't do it on purpose." I snorted a laugh and dropped my face into my hand. "I'm not sorry for making you laugh, though."

"Jett—I'm flattered that you wanted to be my friend. But we're from different worlds, and I don't think it would ever work. Today, it was clear that I can't be friends with your friends. They only noticed me when I fell over the wall and showed you my underwear. Katie called me Sasha, and she's known me for years."

"She's jealous. I mean—I'm not trying to sound like I'm bragging, but she told me to my face. I sort of—shut her down, and she's kind of been rude to other girls I talk to."

"Either way, she's still your friend. I don't want to get involved in your life."

"Well—we still have the rest of the semester to be science partners. After that, I promise I'll leave you alone. I guess I already made that promise, didn't I? With the coffee?"

"Yeah, I think you did."

"I'll keep my promise—I promise." I smiled and nodded.

"Thanks, Jett."

"No problem. I'll see you at school tomorrow. I mean that in a totally unfriendly way. Like—I'll have no choice but to see you at school tomorrow because we have a class together." I laughed.

"Alright, bye."

"Bye."