The Mistake

Chapter VIII -Dreams and Disaster-

"It's so nice to meet Will's inspiration. He works hard and says that he keeps going because a certain someone inspires him and brings out the best in him. Very lovely to meet you Korra"

I shook Rita's hand. She was a very beautiful woman, with brunette hair, slim figure and it looks as if she didn't age that much. We were in the kitchen while the men are in the living room talking about business and sports. I insisted on helping Rita to keep her company and to get to know her better.

"Lovely to meet you too, Rita. How long have you been with Mr. Burgundy?"

"Please, call him Alex and to answer your question, I've been with him for almost ten years now. Alex is a very matured kind of man but there are times when his inner child comes out"

I was now intrigued "Can you tell me more?"

"Well, there's not much to tell. When we first started dating, Alex had a dream to build his own company. We had ordinary jobs, minimum wage, eight to ten hours of work. We were exhausted and wanted more. We wanted to control our own time and let money move for us. That's when Alex had an idea, he sacrificed everything and started from scratch which now is where your boyfriend works. Sure I was surprised at the beginning because it meant that I would be the one working for us.

I could have just left him in the dark and struggle on his own. But my love for Alex was greater than that. I wanted him to succeed and learn his ways on his own. Yes I was there, I was his pillar of support. Alex wasn't in it for the money, when we got married he said to me,

"this company wouldn't have been possible without you Rita. I am so thankful to have you in life. Thank you for understanding and believing in me. I know it was a rough start but look at us now. It's growing and my love for you has been greater than ever"

My heart swelled at that moment I almost fell on my knees in my gown. I hope someday Korra, if it is truly you and Will until the end, my advice is to help him achieve his dreams. Everyone has an ambition and you'll be surprised that a little teamwork could go a long way"

I listened to Rita intently, word for word. Her story is very beautiful and I could imagine her in their wedding wearing a beautiful gown, her husband being handsome as ever. I pictured Will and me on a wedding, holding each other's hands and saying our vows. But as we were at the part where the rings are about to placed on our fingers, Jake suddenly becomes the priest and smacks Will's head with his fists. I blinked rapidly shaking my head at the thought.

Rita looked at me worriedly "Are you okay, Korra? You seem terrified"

I closed my eyes trying to sit down. Jake really did an impact on me and it's not easy to cope. "I'm okay just had an inappropriate thought and it took me by surprise"

"Here" Rita handed me some tea "It'll help you calm down. Dinner's almost ready"

I nodded mumbling thanks. I do love Will but what am I ever going to do? Just don't tell him the it's Jake's baby, he'll never know. My mom's voice echoed in my head. He won't know as long as I keep it to myself, but the thought burdens me so much it's makes me feel guilty all the time. Like eating me up inside with so much shame, I could already imagine how Will would react if he knew the truth.

"Boys! Dinner's ready!" Rita shouted from the door. Quickly, I stood up and drank the rest of the contents on the cup placing it on the dish. I sat beside Will and Rita across me giving me a reassuring smile.

***

"So when are you coming back?" I questioned Sofia peering at the screen.

"You miss me that much? C'mon girl, I don't know maybe in a couple of weeks?"

A couple of weeks. When I looked at myself in the mirror earlier I could see a tiny bump being formed. I swallowed, "Well. . . Yes, I do but it's more than that"

Sofia raised an eyebrow questioningly. I shook my head "I can't tell you on video chat or in call. It has to be personal"

"Ugh, what is so important that you want me immediately? Are you getting married?" Sofia tried, excitement on her eyes.

"I wish, but no I am not. I told you see me first and I'll tell you" I was getting a bit annoyed now.

Sofia flipped her hair "Fine. But this better be good or otherwise you won't get a visit from me for a while"

"It's better than that" I winked and waved goodbye. My phone rang indicating a call. Huh, I wonder who could this be, maybe Will left something.

"Hello?"

"Ms. Korra Bree?"

At the sound of the voice, everything around me suddenly went dark. My heart pounded heavily on my chest, my hands shook and my knees trembled. It can't be, it's too soon. The phone crackled indicating that the caller was waiting for a response "Yes" I whispered terrified.

"I left you something on the door. Consider it a welcome gift" and the line went dead.

I gripped my phone so tightly my brain scrambling with thoughts of Jake and what he could possibly left. I walked to the door and slowly opened it looking down. A small neat envelope came to view. I picked it up and opened it inside.

Horror and dread crept into my veins the moment I looked into the photograph.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey Cuties! Please recommend and subscribe if you enjoyed reading. Share your thoughts on the comments section in this chapter. It helps me improve and motivates me to write more.

Thank you! Stay Safe :)
xoxo