Sequel: In Too Deep
Status: complete

Plausible Deniability

questions and overstepping

Image


Unfortunately, Mera disappears once the fireworks display is over. Aila is sad to see the woman go—they had a wonderful time pretending she wasn’t just a staff member at the manor. Mera was able to be just another citizen of Primden enjoying the brilliance of the festival.

Aila knows why Mera can’t stay. She has a job to return to, and spending the day with Aila was just another chore handed down from Niall.

Willow unlocks the door to the house, leading the group inside. They don’t speak as they change into pyjamas, wash their faces clean, and head to bed. Angel’s loud groan echoes through the quiet, then everything falls silent. Exhausted though she is, Aila can’t sleep.

Her mind floats back to the festival, how Mera’s eyes were so bright as she took in the sights and smells. As she drank the beer Paisley put her in hand. As she danced through the streets with dozens of topless women, children, and Aila’s friends.

She had nearly cried when Angel draped a string of beads around her neck. Aila wonders if Mera has ever felt like she belongs anywhere.

From: Aila (01:47)
<
I want to take Mera to every festival. Please.

From: Niall (01:49)
>
Of course, darling. Whatever you want.

“When you moving in with him?”

Aila squeaks, dropping her phone on her face. “Damn it, Paze, don’t scare me like that.” She blows out a breath and turns onto her side, setting her phone on the nightstand. The moonlight through the window casts her friend into shadow, but Aila can still see the grin on Paisley’s face. “Who even says I am?”

“You’re over there all the time,” Paisley points out. Aila has to concede to the logic. “Be honest with me, Aila. Do you love him?”

“More than I ever loved Colton.”

Aila freezes at the admission, the truth. Colton only ever brought the dizzying rush of a first love. First taste of intimacy. And heartbreak so devastating in the moment but so far away now. The voice in her head reminds her that she’d always wondered when—how—the end would come about. Even at their best, Aila knew Colt could never be her forever. She was too young when she fell for him, and he was too distant.

“Niall feels... He feels like everything Colton should have been,” she admits.

Paisley’s mattress squeaks as she clambers off of it, and Aila shifts to the other side of her own so her friend can join her. Paisley throws her arm over Aila’s side, squeezing tightly.

“I’m happy to see you happy. You deserve it after everything you’ve gone through. All the love you should’ve had with your family and Colton. But I meant what I said. I will kill Niall if he ever hurts you.”

“I’ll kill him myself.”

“Good.” Paisley snuggles closer, drawing the blanket more securely over her shoulders. “For what it’s worth, I approve. Both of him and you moving in with him. I’ll miss having you as a roommate, though.”

“I’d miss you, too. How could I ever fall asleep without your snoring?”

“I hate you.”

“Love you, too, Paze.”

Paisley’s arms aren’t Niall’s, but Aila falls asleep feeling just at home as she does in his bed.

“You should quit your jobs,” Niall announces a week later over breakfast.

Conversations around the dining table cease, and Aila squirms as everyone stares at her. She only has eyes for him. What the Hell is he playing at? He knows she enjoys working, even if she spends far too many hours earning an income instead of having fun. Living her life in the city she calls home.

She sets her fork onto the table and raises a brow. “Mind explaining where this is coming from?”

He frowns as he stares between the people gathered, as if he’s forgotten they were here. Tania barely manages to hide her smile behind the mug in her hand, but no one else seems to find amusement in the discussion. Aila raises a brow, waiting for an answer. An explanation. He sighs and pushes away his plate, shifting so Lilyen can clear it from in front of him.

“Ask anyone here. This life takes time, time you won’t have working at the restaurant and the hotel. You could work at the bar. At least there, no one will question if you suddenly miss a shift.”

“And even if they did,” Tania interjects, “they’ll rightly assume you’re getting your brains fucked out by the man who could make sure their bodies are never found. So they won’t ask questions.”

“That’s… You know that’s not as reassuring as you might think, right?” Aila’s laughing anyway, but the chuckles fade at the sharp look Niall shoots to Tania. “Continue, please.”

“As I was saying, working at Bobby’s will be easier on you. Ivan needs help, anyway, and you’ll make more money without all your days being spent working.”

Aila rests her elbow on the table, cupping her chin with one palm. His logic is flawless—perfect, really. As much as Aila loves having a job, she has to admit it would be nice to not work so much. But…

“Doesn’t the bar run off your money anyway? It would be like you paying me to work, yeah?”

Someone laughs from down the table, and Niall shakes his head with a wide smile. “It was that way when Da first bought it out, back when he was twenty and ready to fight the world. It became self-sufficient before I was twelve, and now it generates its own revenue outside of the back room. Any money you make would come from the profits, not our wallet.”

“And Ivan is okay with having to train someone completely new?”

His hand fingers hers, lips pressing to her knuckles before he turns her hand over to kiss her palm. Liam fake-gags at the sight then yelps when Tania smacks him in the back of the head. Aila sticks her tongue out at him then turns back to Niall.

“It was his idea, darling,” he says, so gently despite it not being a requirement for the topic.

“I suppose it would be rude of me to say no, then.”

“I’ll let him know.” He squeezes her fingers and glances at the others. “You lot clear out.”

“I’m still eating!” Harry protests, but he lets Zayn haul him to his feet.

The door swings closed behind them, and soon enough Niall and Aila are left alone. Even Lilyen has exited. He finishes his coffee then pins her with a steady gaze. His blue eyes are less vibrant, darker with whatever he thinks. Aila represses a shiver when she realises she can’t read him.

“How do you feel about moving in? Here, I mean.”

“I... I was wondering if you’d ask.” Aila sighs and pulls her hand back into her lap. He cocks his head. Her fingers itch to push his dark hair from his forehead. “Paze and I actually talked about this after the Summer Festival.”

“And?”

“I—I honestly think it might be too early for that. I mean, it hasn’t even been a year that we’ve known each other, and you were a dick for most of the beginning. God knows why I fell in love with you after all you put me through.”

“I regret it every day, if it helps.”

Her lips quirk, and she nods slowly. “It does, in a way. But on the other hand, it was way too soon to ever be interested in you. I’d only been single after a decade-long relationship for, what, two months before I met you? It was definitely too soon to fall in love with you.”

“But you did.”

“I did. I fell so fucking hard for you, my head is still spinning.” All in, or all out. “If we’re both in this for the long haul, then... I don’t see why we shouldn’t take the next step.”

“So you will?”

The hesitance in his eyes, the flicker of uncertainty. Like he hardly dares believe what she’s saying. Aila rises to her feet, shoving at his shoulders until he scoots his chair back. Niall wraps strong arms around her waist, and she presses a soft, barely there kiss to his lips.

“On one condition. You have to meet my friends properly.”

“Absolutely. Schedule something with them, and I’ll be there.”

“I’ll text them in a bit,” she promises before kissing him again.

“Can I just say that I expected a lot more discussion?”

“Tania was right. You’ve fucked my brains out. I’m stupid for you.”

He yanks on her thigh until he can swat her ass, and Aila inhales sharply before giggling. His eyes darken when she looks at him. Leaning in, she lets her lips brush his as she whispers, “Don’t start something you can’t finish, mister.”

Though he doesn’t push for anything else, makes no moves to continue, Aila delights in how his face screws up. The disappointment. The sheer force of will he’s exerting over himself. She nips at his jaw then slides off his lap. His eyes are a heavy weight on her back as she exits the dining room.

From: Aila (08:12)
<
Hey, so... I have something to tell you. I’m kiiiiinda moving out.
From: Aila (08:12)
<
Don’t worry, I’ll still pay my portion of the rent until you find someone to take my place.
From: Aila (08:13)
<
And Niall will definitely meet you before it happens.

From: Willow (08:13)
>
Bring him to Junk Night!

From: Aila (08:14)
<
NO! I want him to still love me, thanks

From: Angel (08:15)
>
If he can’t handle you at Junk Night, he can’t handle you at all

From: Cheyenne (08:15)
>
We aren’t changing our minds, Aila. Might as well admit defeat.

From: Paisley (08:16)
>
And we WILL be asking questions. Lots and lots of questions. Gotta make sure he at least halfway deserves your wonderful, amazing self.

From: Aila (08:16)
<
Fine. But if you lot run him off, I will never forgive you. AND I will move out and sleep on the streets. You wouldn’t want that, would you?

Angel sends back a dozen eye-roll emojis then goes offline. Cheyenne promises to make the others be on their best behaviour. Willow’s message consists of nothing but a rainbow of hearts, and Paisley replies with a devil emoji and ‘Don’t worry, I won’t be TOO mean’.

Aila shakes her head even as she giggles. She trusts her friends, knows none of them will intentionally change Niall’s mind about her. If she didn’t give them a fuss, though, they would think something was wrong. But Junk Night? It’s the worst time for Niall to meet the others. He will see Aila at her most gluttonous.

“Hey, Mera?”

Mera pauses where she’s putting away laundry. “Yes, Miss?”

“Where’s Niall?”

“He’s in the infirmary. Miss Tania got herself into trouble again.” Mera freezes, casting a look at Aila. “Please don’t tell Mister Niall I said that.”

“Your secret is safe with me.”

Aila steps into the infirmary to see Harry leaning over Tania’s hand, fingers poking and prodding and bending fingers. He straightens with a sigh and scrubs at his cheeks. Scowling, he turns away from the cot, announces her hand isn’t broken.

“But you need to stop punching people in the face so often, especially when they’re in front of a brick wall and duck.”

Aila snorts, and three heads snap around to look at her. “That’ll be the day the world ends,” she says as she nears.

“See, Aila understands. It’s too much fun punching people,” quips Tania, flexing her fingers.

“Please don’t encourage her, darling. We’re trying to teach her manners.” Niall swats at Tania’s head and frowns when she laughs. “What happened?”

“Found Nero on our side. Took care of it.”

“What is Strickland playing at?”

Low voice, more to himself. Aila knows he isn’t expecting an answer. His brows furrow in the familiar way that means he’s thinking. She hopes this doesn’t mean what she fears. She doesn’t think she could handle a turf war right now. Or ever, if she is being honest.

Clearing her throat, she moves to stand at his side. “Question for you. What are your plans for Thursday?”

“I have some things in the back room, but it shouldn’t take too long. Why?”

“Well, you get to experience all the disgusting glory of a Junk Night. As long as you promise to still love me when it’s over, that is.”

Tania shakes her head, and her cackles fill the air. “You could sprout tentacles, and he’d still wanna be with you.”

“Please don’t sprout tentacles,” Niall pleads, staring at Aila with wide eyes.

“Think of all the possibilities during sex.” Harry shrugs when Aila raises a brow. “Just saying.”

Niall shudders then pauses. He stares into space, glassy-eyed, then grins. “I suppose it wouldn’t be so awful.”

“Oh, my god. I’m not going to sprout tentacles, you freaks.”

Harry shrugs again. “Why not? You could shove one up his arse as he fucks you. Could be interesting.”

“I hate you all,” she groans, turning on her heel. As she heads for the door, a smack resounds in the room, followed by a yelp.

Aila changes into the La Serene uniform and pulls her hair into a tight ponytail. Now that Niall has suggested she work at Bobby’s instead of the hotel and the Northend, she looks forward to working. She’s just reached the foyer when someone clears their throat. She turns, lips tugging downward at the sombre expression on Robert’s face.

“Is everything okay?”

“Might I have a moment of your time, Miss Aila?”

“Of course.”

She follows him into the parlour. His voice is sharp as he orders Neda from the room, and the maid bows before scurrying away. Aila perches on the arm of the couch, grinning when he only sighs in exasperation. He’s never spoken of it, but she knows of his frustration when people don’t sit on furniture properly. He checks the foyer then closes the door.

“I may be speaking out of turn, Miss,” he begins without turning toward her. When he does, there’s something in his eyes that Aila can’t read. He inhales deeply and clasps his hands behind his back. “However, I feel it is worth the risk to tell you this.

“I have been employed by the Horans since before Mister Niall was born. I have… I have never seen him so happy, not even as a young lad. The word ‘happy’ hardly encaspulates the depth of his feelings for you.”

“What do you mean?” she manages to whisper though her lips have long gone numb.

“You bring out the best in him, Miss. You love him so fiercely, so unconditionally, and he loves you just the same. I cannot deny it means the world to those who have watched him grow, even if we rarely speak of it. I... I wanted to extend my deepest gratitude for how you have changed him.”

Aila’s mouth opens and closes. She has no words at the moment. Robert watches her closely, a guarded expression on his face. A ‘thank you’ is on the tip of her tongue, but instead of speaking, she bursts into tears.

He startles at the sound, hands fluttering before him. He doesn’t touch her even as he scurries closer. “Miss, I’m sorry. I never meant to upset you. I am terribly sorry for overstepping my bounds.”

“No, no, it’s okay,” she blubbers through the pathetic weeping. “I’m okay. I wasn’t... I wasn’t expecting to hear that.”

He pulls a handkerchief from his breast pocket, holding it toward her in a shaking hand. She smiles as best as she can, and the only sound between them is her sniffles while she wipes her cheeks dry. When she’s calm once more, she tries to hand the handkerchief back to him. Robert only shakes his head, his rough hand curling her fingers around the fabric.

“You may keep it, Miss Aila.”

“Thank you. And thank you for your kind words. I appreciate you saying that.”

“I promise you, Miss, they are not just words. Have a wonderful day at work, Miss. Orlen will have dinner kept for you when you come home.”

Aila watches him pivot on his heel, exit the parlour on audible footsteps. When he’s disappeared, she falls backwards until she’s sprawled on the couch cushion with her legs over the arm.

Louis, Harry, and Mully accepted her almost from the beginning. Niall said Robert adores her. But having Tania’s approval, hearing it directly from Robert that he appreciates her presence in Niall’s life... It makes it all so much more real.

Soon enough, she will be living here with these wonderful, beautiful, cruel people.

She blows out a breath and struggles off the couch. Work awaits, and she can’t be late to turn in her resignation.