Status: Updated 2/28/21.

Slow and Steady

Well, Here We Go

Two weeks later, I could see more of a difference in the size of my bump and I was ready to tell my parents. My parents were fairly strict when I was growing up but understanding and loving at the same time. I was born in Russia and moved to the U.S. at the age of thirteen, so to say that was a major change would be an understatement. I arrived with an accent, but the English language came easily to me and my parents treated me the same way. Making friends, on the other hand, proved difficult, but I made two solid ones that I am still friends with to this day.

“Here we go.” I said to myself.

I was on my tablet about to FaceTime them and my heart was ready to beat out of my chest. When I finally did, I took a deep breath and let it out; I smiled when I saw their faces.

”Hi, Mom. Hi, Dad!” I said, waving.

“Katya! It's so wonderful to see your beautiful face! It's been too long.” my mom said.

“I know. I apologize for that. So much has gone in the past month.”

“I hope all is well. We have missed you so much, Katya.”
my dad said.

“All is well. For a while, it didn’t feel that way.”

“Honey... what's been going on?”
my mom asked.

I didn’t know what to say.

“Um... I found out I was pregnant a month ago.”

There was a six-second pause which made me anxious.

“Mom? Dad?”

“Pregnant? With whose baby? ‘Cause last time I checked you didn’t have a boyfriend.”


Tears ran down my face knowing I tell her just about everything, including if I’m dating anyone; we have such a close bond.

“I don’t.”

“Katya. You should’ve known better.”
my dad said.

“We were drunk, Dad.”

“No excuses.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Where is this guy?”

“Out of state. Ohio, I think.”


My mom sighed while my dad shook his head. I felt like such a disappointment.

“Does he know?”

“I’ve called him a few times and even left a voicemail. He doesn’t care.”

“You still having the baby? Going to raise it by yourself?”

“I was debating on abortion and even adoption, but I fell in love with the baby at my first appointment three weeks after I found out. I never planned on having kids, but I want this baby. I hope both of you support me.


Please. If I don't have their support, I don't know how I’m going to get through this.

“Of course we do. We always have. This news is such a shock is all. How far along are you?” my mom said.

“Ten weeks. Wanna see the ultrasound? It’s from two weeks ago.”

“Yes.”


I picked up the ultrasound that was lying beside me and showed it to them.

“Oh my goodness! Our grandbaby!” my mom exclaimed.

My mom clapped her hands and hugged my dad, who laughed at her reaction.

This is wonderful, baby! Congratulations!

“Thanks, Mom, Dad. This means a lot.

“We love you, Katya. Keep us updated. Alright?”

“Of course. I love you, too.”


We hung up after another minute of talking and I put my phone down. That was quite the conversation and I was glad it was over; all I have to do now is tell my friends which should be an easier conversation; that’s going to have to wait though because I need a break.

Fuck. I’m hungry. Let’s just hope I don't vomit whatever food I eat.

Instead of eating at home, I went out to my favorite spot to eat when I want something quick. I walked inside and ordered one of my favorite sandwiches with a side of chips. I came outside and walked ten steps when I slipped on some ice and almost fell on my ass; I prepared myself for impact, but an arm wrapped around my right arm to prevent that. When I got to my feet, I looked over to see who literally saved my ass.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yeah. Thank you." I said breathlessly.

“No problem. How can I repay you?”

“You don’t need to. Trust me.”

“If you say so.”

“Well, it was nice meeting you...”

“Katya.”

“That’s quite the name. I’m Alex.”

“It’s Russian. I was born there.”

“You know, I wouldn't mind if we hung out some time. I’d love to know more about you. Hope that didn't sound creepy.”

“It’s fine. I’d want to do the same thing if I were you. People always seem interested when they hear I’m from Russia.”

“Thank goodness.”

We exchanged numbers, and soon, we went our own way. On the way home, I couldn’t help but think about him. He looked familiar, but I couldn’t quite figure how. What I knew for sure was that he looked the exact opposite of my baby daddy. I wish I could figure out who he was though, but how could I possibly do that? I nodded off thinking about that after I ate my lunch.

“Katya?” I overheard.

I then heard a knocking on my door; it was my best friend Rhiannon.

“Come in.” I said groggily.

I had fallen asleep on the couch and still had my empty styrofoam container and glass of water on the living room table. She walked in and I slowly sat up, trying to wake up.

“I’m sorry I woke you.” she said, standing in front of me.

“That’s okay. Come sit.”

“What’s up? I haven’t heard from you in a few days.”

“Not much actually. Just busy.”

“Busy? You only work four or five hours a day except on Sunday.”

“Just a lot on my mind.”

“Like?”

“There’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you and River. I told my parents this morning. That was a little draining.”

“Is it something bad?”

“Initially, I thought it was, but it’s something amazing actually. I’m pregnant.”

She paused for only a couple of seconds.

“Oh my goodness! That’s wonderful.” she said hugging me.

“Thank you. I never even thought I’d want kids, but once I saw this cute little blob on the sonogram, that was it.”

“What about the guy? Is he in the picture?”

“Oh, Patrick . I’ve called him a few times and left a voicemail, but no response.”

“Well, fuck him. He's missing out already. I’m sure you'll be a great mom.”

“It’ll be tough, but I think I can raise him as a single mother.”

“I know you can.”

“You’re the best.”

“That’s you.”

I smiled and leaned into her.

“So, how far along are you?”

“Ten weeks. Wanna see a picture? It's at eight weeks.”

“Of course.”

I reached onto my table and picked up the sonogram picture.

“I’ve never seen you this happy, Katya.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. Not even when you were able to buy that car you had been eyeing for months.”

She was right like she often is and no one is going to take that happiness away from me.
♠ ♠ ♠
All the italicized words in Katya’s conversation with her parents are meant to be Russian.