Status: Ongoing story.

Life is a Song

The Isle of the Lost: Harry (age 8)

The sky had darkened quickly, and Harry needed to find some sort of shelter. The Isle was not a place to be when you're eight years old and homeless. Young Harry tightened his arms around his chest and kept walking till he heard a voice. He looked up sharply, and the scent of fried fish engulfed his nose.

The soft voice he heard, though, came from a girl. She had teal and black hair, and it was braided on one side. It sounded like she was in an argument. Harry stood still, watching the girl. He heard an older voice, it was mean and demanding and the young girl yelled back it. 

"I'll be there in minute!" she yelled, and started toward Harry's direction.

The girl paused when she saw Harry, she never seen him around before. He was wearing a white tunic with brown pants and old boots. His clothes definitely didn't belong on the Isle, he looked well brought up. 

"What's 'er name?" she asked. She had tears on her cheeks. Harry saw them and she quickly wiped her face. "Harry." he answered quietly. "My name's Uma." she told him.

"Why are you crying?" Harry asked her. Uma shook her head. "My mom wants me to be a waitress at her shop." Uma answered. Harry didn't understand. "I don't want to be that." She said defiantly. "Well, what would you be?" he questioned. Uma smiled. "I want to be'a Captain of a ship one day...I want to be a queen."

"Where are ya from?" Uma asked. Harry felt sadness overwhelm him. "My mum dropped me off here and left. I'm from Auradon." Uma was in disbelief. "This place is for villains, kid." Harry understood. "I know. I'm not a villain though...or am I?"

It was quiet for a moment. Uma broke the silence with a question: "Do ya want to be my first mate?" Harry nodded excitedly, then. "What's a first mate?" 

Uma then took his hand. "A friend."

Uma showed Harry around the Isle. It took some getting used to. She found him a set of different clothes so he'd fit in, and so the older villain kids wouldn't bother him. Uma lived near the dock, where some of the pirates were. 

Harry stayed by her side mostly, he didn't know his way around. One day Uma didn't feel so good, and Harry ventured out on the isle alone. For the first time. He felt nervous, and he was starving. The food on the Isle were leftovers from Auradon. 

So it was either half-eaten or moldy. Harry sat down next to the water, he missed home. He didn't understand why he was left. Not a moment too soon, two other kids came up behind him and grabbed him.

"Wha-!?" but his voice became muffled when a burlap sac was put over his head. He tried to escape, but the two other kids were quite strong. He didn't get a chance to see their faces before he was grabbed. "Stop whinin'!" one of them said. It sounded like a girl.

Harry sighed in defeat; he had nothing else to lose, right? He was ready to just give up. As they carried him, he heard more voices. Raspy and growly voices. "Just great," he sighed. "I'm officially pirate bait."

"Knock it off, will ya?" said the other kid. He was a boy, and his voice sounded like he was younger than Harry. "How are you so strong?" Harry asked him through the burlap sac. The boy didn't answer. 

They walked up some railing. Harry could hear the voices very clearly now. Some were singing shanties, some were yelling and cursing, and some were just filled with malicious laughter. Harry could also smell the fishy salt water. He wasn't used to it, yet.

His kidnappers sat him on a hard wooden bench. He realized he was in motion, and started to feel queasy. They took the sac off his head. Harry took in his surroundings--he was on a ship, and they were pirates everywhere. 

The boy and girl who grabbed him were standing next to a man who was adorned in red and yellow. Very fancy, with ruffles, a petticoat. The man had curly, jet black hair and a pirate's hat to match the rest of him. The man smiled evilly and his mustache curled.

Harry was visibly confused, and somewhat frightened. He kept thinking about Uma. 

"Where am I?" he finally asked. The girl spoke first: "This is the Jolly Roger, mate." Harry watched her; there was something familiar about her. "Am I still on the Isle?" he inquired. The pirate nodded. "The Jolly Roger is my ship, boy. And it will be your new home."

Harry did not like the sound of that. "Why? I have a home with Uma. I don't need a new one." He started to stand. "Who are you, anyway?"

The pirate chuckled maliciously and spread out his arms like he was welcoming a new hand for his crew. Harry noticed one of his hands were gone, and that a hook was there in replacement. "I'd thought you'd never ask, mate," said the pirate. "Why! I'm Captain Hook!" He yelled proudly. 

Harry jumped from his loud voice. "Don't be scared, I'm going to teach you everything you need to know about piracy." Captain Hook told him. Harry wondered. "But why?"

"Because, you blithering idiot...you're my son."