‹ Prequel: Him and I

Scenes From an Elevator: James and Alex

Beginnings: 2009

“Nooooo!” Alexandra Gates wailed, looking over at the cake in her passenger seat that was now personally acquainted with her dashboard. Tears stung her eyes as she stared at the cake.

The cake for her grandmother's birthday that she had spent three days baking, frosting, and decorating.

The cake she had sworn to her family that she could handle. That everything would be perfect for Nana’s 80th birthday.

The cake that was key to her future.

The cake that was now ruined.

This was not happening.

A tap at her window tore her attention back to the present. And to the incredibly attractive man with the sheepish smile looking at her that had ruined her grandmother's birthday.

“Are you okay?” He asked.

“I’m fine but my cake....”

“Your cake?” He repeated in confusion.

“You ruined my Nana’s birthday cake!”

He stepped back from her car at her outburst and she took that moment to step out of her car. She went to the back of her car where she found the rear of her car completely smashed.

“I’m, uh, James by the way.”

She whirled around to face him. “Are you seriously hitting on me right now?”

“No! I mean, no, of course not. We should exchange information, right?”

She narrowed her eyes at him. “I’m Alex.”

“I’m sorry about your car. I’ll pay for all the repairs, I swear, it’s not a problem.” He rubbed the back of his neck. "And your cake; I’m sorry about that too. I can buy a new one.”

“Buy a new one? Buy a new one?! I baked that, with love, for my grandmother. who turns 80 today, and who is having a party that I am supposed to be at in twenty minutes with the birthday cake that I worked on for the last three days because I promised my family that I could handle this. And it’s fucking ruined! You cannot just buy a new one, James. That cake is irreplaceable. Love does not have a value, a price.”

“I’m sorry.”

“You said that already. Argh!! This is a damn disaster.”

“Why....why is it a disaster?” James asked cautiously.

She let out a long sigh. “I want to go to culinary school and this was supposed to be my chance to prove to my parents that I’m good at this and that I can be better if they’ll help me. But they’ve already put me through college with a very nice business degree to show for it.”

“But you’re not passionate about business.”

“Not even the slightest. My dad got me an interview with a family friend but the interview is a formality. The job is already mine but I don’t want it. I want to bake. I want to make cakes that bring people joy and happiness. I want people to celebrate their life’s milestones with a cake I made.”

He smiled. “I’ve never heard anyone speak so passionately about cakes before. I’m really very sorry that I ruined yours and spoiled your grandmother's birthday.”

Alex surveyed their cars. “Accidents happen.”

“I was distracted and I shouldn’t have been. I know it doesn’t make up for the cake but maybe you and your grandmother would like to go to the Stars game next week. I can get you really good seats.”

“Maybe you missed the part where I said it’s my grandma’s 80th birthday today,” she replied with a roll of her eyes.

James winced. “Maybe a friend or um, a brother? Do you have siblings? Or your dad?”

“Why would you offer me hockey tickets?”

“Because...wait, you know the Stars are a hockey team?”

“I live here, don’t I?”

“I mean, it’s not football so you never know.”

“I happen to love all sports, as do the rest of my family. Furthermore, my father's company has box seats for all of the local teams and we’ve attended many a sporting event on the company's dime.”

“So you’re accepting my offer?”

“Are you going to be there too?”

“Yes but...”

“Then no, I do not accept. I really don’t want to spend any more time in your presence. And I certainly don’t want you thinking it’s some sort of date.”

“That would be hard to think when I’ll be on the ice.”

“Excuse me?”

“I play for the Stars, number eighteen.”

“You play hockey? But you have all your teeth.”

He groaned. “That is a common misconception.”

“Sorry.”

“It’s okay. But now I think you owe me and kind of have to go.”

“Fine, I accept. You can leave me tickets at will call.”

“Done. But maybe give me your number just in case.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I almost forgot I had this one! I thought once about writing a little story about how James and Alex met and how they became friends. Unfortunately it never got any further than this. I still love it though.