Out Of This World

Shot

She sat in silence, her blood shot eyes looking over me. I felt my face flush and I blinked at her in desperation. A few moments passed before her chapped lips melted into a small smile and she leaned forward, placing her lips over mine. That morning when she opened the door, wearing her Snoopy pijamas and looking like she’d just been dragged over the Island by a pack of wild dogs, it hit me, and I knew. As sappy and stupid as it sounds, I knew that as ragged and shitty as she looked, as pissy and bitchy as she was to me, I’d always feel the same way about her.

When Kim pulled away however, her expression was no longer smiling. Her face was set like stone and I almost thought she was going to take it back.

”No Ben, I change my mind, I don’t love you,” was what I expected her to say, but she didn’t.

“I love you too,” she said meekly, “But that isn’t what I was going to tell you.”

And what she said next, was nearly as bad as rejection.

“Ben, I think I know why Ada tried to...” she couldn’t bring herself to say it, the experience had petrified her. I looked at her expectantly, laying my hand over her’s in encouragement.

“What if...” she gulped, her eyes filled with tears, “What if she was working for them?”

I stopped breathing. I suddenly became aware of how alone we were. If they came now, there was no one to stop them. If they came now, we’d be as good as dead. I jumped up, pulling Kim with me.

“Ben?”

“We’ve got to get home,” I said quickly, pulling her along.

Together we ran through the streets. What if it was too late? What if they were waiting for us when we got home? What about Dad and Michelle and Mark and Grace? What would become of them? Steel fingers clenched around my heart at the mere thought of it.

When we got to our street we slowed our pace and tried to act as inconspicuous as possible. We kept our heads down and walked in the shadows of the short leafy trees that lined the road. Kim made to turn into her drive but I gave her a gentle tug and we walked past. Out of the corner of my eye I could see the cars still parked in the drive, the curtains open, a few windows open downstairs- everything was the way we’d left it. I breathed a sigh of relief but kept on my guard. I held Kim’s arm and lead her into my house.
I closed the door behind us began to whisper words of relief to Kim, but my words caught in my throat. The air was still, the only sound was that of the kitchen clock, ticking away the seconds that Dad and Michelle had been gone. The house was empty. Kim breathed out a little whimper as her thoughts caught up to mine. I grasped her hand firmly and we went into the backyard, squeezing through the hedges and onto her property. Entering through the back door we were immediately greeted by the still air.

A lone tear ran down Kim’s cheek and she whiped it away, placing a hand to her mouth to silence her heavy, flustered breathing. Quietly she crept to the kitchen and opened a drawer, taking four knives and handing me two. I tucked the big one into my belt and the small one up my sleeve for easy access. Kim did the same before grabbing a bottle of water and pushing it into the front pocket of her hoodie. She then crossed the kitchen and produced a thick wallet from behind the sugar jar and tucked it into her jeans pocket. I mouthed a Ready? and she nodded before taking my hand and letting me lead her back outside. We walked around the house and into the garage. Our footsteps echoed against the stone walls and we both jumped in fright. I bent down until my lips were at her ear and began whispering instructions.

“We need to stick to places with loads of people, so I’m thinking we take the bus to the dock and take the next ferry down to the mainland. From there-“

Kim groaned. Her eyes glazed over and rolled back before shutting completely. Her head fell to the side and her body swayed before collapsing against me.

“Kim?!” I yelled, holding her body to me and giving her a strong shake. “Kim! Kim! Wake-“

There was a soft Pew! and a sharp prick at my side. I groaned, and Kim and I fell to the ground.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this was out late by the way, my internet was down.
Next chapter should be out on thursday or friday?
We'll see, I'm getting kinda busy.
<333 Aidyn.