Status: Ongoing

The Price of Freedom (Balthier x OC)

Prologue

Year 704 Old Valendian

Royal City of Rabanastre, Kingdom of Dalmasca

A flock of white birds flew across the bright, clear, blue sky as they made their way over one of the many gigantic airships gliding noiselessly through the air. Below, the ancient city of Rabanastre was bustling with people from all walks of life as they purchased various goods at the bazaar, took a leisurely stroll, or talked excitedly amongst themselves. The wide street leading from the grand palace located at the north edge of the city to the cathedral to the west was busier than usual. Individuals from all over Dalmasca and its neighbor to the east, Nabradia, were beginning to gather along the street's edge, anxiously waiting for what was about to come. It was a day full of hope, joy, and what would soon be celebration.

At midday, those standing near the palace watched as Lord Rasler Heios Nabradia and Her Royal Highness Princess Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca made their appearance. A silver bell started to chime atop the cathedral when the couple walked onto an elaborate platform decorated with flowers and stood at its center. The sound was a signal to all that the long-awaited marriage procession between the couple had finally begun. Many halted what they had been doing to rush over and witness it first hand, although they were hard-pressed to find a spot with a clear view of the proceedings.

More than fifty individuals, ranging from moogles to hume soldiers, headed the parade as they marched, danced, or played their musical instruments. The royal couple was pulled forward by four yellow-feathered chocobos of the highest quality, given to them as a wedding gift by the Kingdom of Dalmasca's allies. Thousands of pink flower petals rained down from the sky as the people who lived within the adjacent buildings tossed them toward the lord and princess from up above. Most of the crowd at the side of the street cheered and waved at the couple enthusiastically when they came into view. For many, it was the first time they'd laid eyes on the family members of their sovereigns.

The bride-to-be was a beautiful, slender pale-skinned woman with sandy blonde hair cropped just above her that she parted to the right. She was dressed in an ornate white and gold gown that would soon become a topic of conversation for anyone who had the rare opportunity to see it. An intricate wedding veil sat on top of her head that flowed over her back. Her soon-to-wed husband was an attractive, fit man with short, light blond hair and pale skin. He had been clothed in a pristine suit of armor that was the same color as Princess Ashelia's gown. A royal blue drape with fleur-de-lis details and a gold tasseled finish hung from his waist. The last item of his wedding garments was a long white cape that hung over his back. The Kingdom of Dalmasca's symbol had been embroidered on its surface in gold.

In the middle of the procession, the couple shared loving smiles as they looked into each other's gray eyes before proceeding to wave at their people. It was a gesture that didn't go unnoticed by those they were close to as they watched the event from afar, feeling joyful and hopeful with their union. Although most saw the marriage as only one of convenience that would create a powerful alliance between their two countries, everyone dear to their hearts knew better. Ashelia and Rasler would have no other—their hearts beat as one.

"My brother and Ashe are to the halfway point," an adolescent girl stated as she lowered a pair of binoculars from her blue eyes. "We should make our way inside the cathedral. It won't be much longer before the ceremony begins."

When the man didn't immediately reply, she looked over at him. He was an attractive man with short light brown hair and golden sun-kissed skin. His attire was that of a knight from Nabradia.

"The Princess is dressed in quite the outfit," the man finally replied, lowering his own pair of binoculars from his hazel-green eyes as he smirked. He turned his gaze to the woman next to him. "I wouldn't mind seeing you in something similar when you're older, although maybe more revealing."

A blush appeared on her pale cheeks as she shook her head in disbelief, causing her long, vibrant red hair to move with it. "You're incorrigible."

The man's smile widened in response. "A man can dream, can't he?"

She couldn't stop it as a laugh escaped her lips, and she wrapped her arms around his left armor-covered one. "Let's go and at least try to make an effort to behave while we're there. I would hate for you to cause a spectacle because you couldn't keep your hands to yourself."

"It will be your doing if there is a spectacle. You're the only one I'd want to touch."

"Then I shall have to block all of your attempts," she declared.

"Is that a challenge, Princess?" he asked, raising a light brown eyebrow.

"No. It's a promise. I'm the only one prepared enough to accomplish it."

Lord Rasler and Princess Ashelia were escorted into the cathedral after they had reached the end of the street. Inside the chapel, the couple's closest friends, family, and other influential guests were already waiting for them. Both felt anxious as they slowly stepped down the aisle together, but excited nonetheless. Once they reached the priest standing behind the altar at the opposite end of the room, they turned to face one another. Everyone else in the room seemed to vanish, along with their worries, as they smiled at each other lovingly and the ceremony began.

"In the name of the Father, and in the presence of these holy relics, I hereby pronounce you man and wife from this time forth," the priest said at the end of the ceremony. "May the blessings of the gods light your path for all eternity. Faram."

They took hold of each other's hands before Rasler closed the distance between them and kissed his bride. They were finally as one.

~*~

Rasler's eyes were focused on the horizon to the east of the city as he stood on one of the palace balconies. News from his father had reached him a week ago, notifying him that there was unrest in his homeland. Worry over his family plagued his mind.

The threat of civil war had been looming over their heads for months, and it wasn't surprising given the shattered relations between his family and the Archadian Empire. His father and Emperor Gramis Gana Solidor of Archadia had arranged a marriage between his youngest sister Oriana and Prince Vayne Solidor when she was born. Archadia had become a volatile force after invading Landis four years before the arrangement. The political agreement between the two countries had given hope and a sense of security to many living in Nabradia.

Unfortunately, the union was never meant to be. It'd become too dangerous for his sister to continue the engagement, and their father had ended it to protect her. His actions seemed to start the embers of hatred the Neo-Archadian faction within the country now held toward them. Rasler had witnessed first hand the signs of unrest when they tried to assassinate his sister. They blamed the royal family, particularly his sister, for the impending war. His open defiance to their cause by marrying Ashe seemed to have added fuel to the fire.

"Lord Rasler, it's time for the meeting," a servant informed him, bowing to him respectfully.

He directed his gaze over to him and nodded before heading towards the war room. The meeting would be one of great importance. Rasler, the king, and several military leaders were going to discuss ways to safeguard Dalmasca and deal with the situation in Nabradia. If everything went well, they would be able to prepare the troops tomorrow and send them to fortify the borders of Nabradia. If not, he could only pray that his father and sister would be able to escape to Rabanastre unharmed.

The king of Rabanastre, Raminas B'nargin Dalmasca, was already inside the room with several military leaders when he arrived. Ashe's father was a surprisingly fit elderly man with a bald head and graying sandy-blond beard. An intricate gold diadem with the symbol of Dalmasca sat on top of his head. Attached to it were tassels that hung down the sides of his face.

“Rasler," he called out from the head of the table at the center of the room.

"King Raminas," Rasler said, bowing his head in respect.

He was the last person to walk over to the magical army display table and took his place on the left side with four other men. Then, the discussions began.

An hour later, a Dalmascan knight quickly marched through the marble hallways of the palace. His black cape had the countries symbol embroidered on it in white and billowed behind him. Guards were stationed near the doors to the war room, keeping watch to ensure those within it were well protected. They didn't attempt stopping him as he walked past, although they did give each other questioning looks. Each one could tell by the grave expression on his pale face and how he was walking that the man had urgent news.

Unaware of his approach, the man on Raminas' left spoke to the group as they looked over the moving images on the table. "If Archadia should launch by both land and air, our Kingdom will stand little—"

The knight reached the doors and threw them open, causing everyone at the table to look over at him as he stepped into the room. He was a tall, muscular man with shoulder-length blond hair that was slicked back and a short beard and goatee of the same color.

"Nabudis has fallen!" he exclaimed, his blue eyes on the king standing straight across from him.

"Impossible!" King Raminas declared, disbelief on his pale face.

"My father and sister?" Rasler asked, alarmed by the news.

"I know not," the knight replied, shaking his head with regret. "I am sorry."

The man on Raminas' left spoke as he looked at the king. "If Nabudis has indeed fallen, it is only a matter of time before they reach the borders of Dalmasca." Images representing Nabradia's fleet sunk down, and Archadia's ships on the table flew toward Rabanastre. "There is nothing to halt their advance."

"Secure Nalbina with all haste," Raminas ordered.

"I will go," the knight said as he turned around and began to make his way out of the room.

"And I will go at his side," Rasler declared.

Raminas looked at him in surprise, then stared down at the table with his blue eyes. He nodded to give his approval, understanding his feelings. Rasler marched out of the room to prepare for the upcoming battle. He intended to fight with all his might to defend Dalmasca and what was left of his homeland, even if it meant he died trying.

News quickly spread over the tragedy that took place at Nabudis. There were no survivors, friend or foe, and the city had been engulfed in a terrible Mist. Anyone who attempted to enter its lands was faced with immediate danger from the creatures that quickly took it over, and the once-grand city had fallen into unquestioned disrepair. Nabudis, Rasler's homeland, had been utterly destroyed, and his father and sister were killed in the brutal onslaught.

When the preparations were complete, the sun was beginning to set along the horizon. Mighty legions of soldiers marched in formation through the main street to the front of the royal palace. Dozens of military airships descended from the sky, opening their doors to allow the soldiers they were carrying within them to ride their chocobos down the ramps. At the top of the stairs leading into the palace, Raminas and Rasler stood in front of each other. A nearby servant knelt down and handed the king a sword. King Raminas turned toward Rasler and raised the sheathed sword into the air with both of his hands.

"Galtea stand watch over your life," he said before he lowered it down to Rasler.

Rasler took hold of it. "That I be considered worthy."

The lord bowed his head and took a step back. His gray orbs found their way over to Ashelia, who was standing nearby, knowing this could be the last time he ever laid eyes on her. She met his gaze, silently praying for his safe return. After a few moments, Rasler turned his back to her and stepped forward as he unsheathed the sword the king had given him. He stared at the legions of soldiers standing before him, then let out a mighty yell as he raised his weapon into the air. The soldiers followed his lead, yelling along with him, each prepared to defend their home at the cost of their very lives.

The last rays of sunlight faded while Lord Rasler and his army approached the Dalmasca and Nabradia border on their airships, desperate to reach Nalbina Fortress before Archadia. Their efforts proved not without merit. They arrived at the stronghold before the invading fleet could be seen and set up various protections to defend it from the sky and ground. Ten mages were stationed within two tall spires atop the fortress and ordered to activate the crystal palings inside them once the Archadian fleet came into view. A blue magic barrier came up from the ground outside Nalbina's walls that created a protective dome-shaped shield that became invisible once it was fully formed. It was their ultimate defense against aerial attacks.

Rasler placed himself, the blond knight, and a few legions within the very walls of Nalbina to protect it in case Archadia was able to break through the gates. The rest of the Dalmascan army was posted on the ground outside the magic barrier and in the airships to fight against the colossal fleet approaching in the distance.

As soon as the Archadian army reached the fortress, they were forced to engage in a fierce battle that would determine the fate of Dalmasca. Each airship that fell from the sky crashed into the magic barrier, whether it was friend or foe, causing it to turn visible for a moment. The men outside fought valiantly to protect Nalbina and held them off for a time, but it was all for not. Archadia's relentless attacks from the sky and ground were more than the defending fleet could handle. It wasn't long before the troops on the fortress grounds began to engage with the enemy as they broke through the main gate.

From the moment the fight started within Nalbina's walls, havoc ensued. A ferocious battle broke out as each soldier fought with their weapons in hand to hold off the ruthless onslaught of the Archadian Empire. Lord Rasler and the knight were above the horrendous swordfight, riding on their chocobos to get across a nearby bridge that led to the only paling left standing. Hundreds of other soldiers were already there fighting to keep the Archadian army at bay at the foot of the spire to protect it with all they had. The knight by the lord's side brought down several soldiers with his bow as they rushed forward while Rasler struck others with his sword.

"The Fortress is lost!" the knight exclaimed, realizing there was nothing more they could do. "We must withdraw!"

"No!" Rasler swiftly replied. "The paling still stands!"

Rasler looked up at the invisible barrier of magic as a section of it turned blue when another airship collided with it, proving it was still protecting the fortress.

Inside the tall spire, five mages were holding up their hands while surrounding the glowing crystal paling. They were unaware of the dire situation below as they continued to keep it active to protect the fortress.

"Shield beyond sight, ne'er failing light," they chanted together.

They broke their chant when loud shouting and the clanking of metal armor suddenly came from the stairs. When Archadian soldiers suddenly appeared, their eyes widened in alarm and terror spread across their faces. All of the mages were defenseless as the soldiers charged toward them and cut them down without hesitation. Moments later, the barrier protecting Nalbina fell apart as the magicks holding it together ceased. Everyone fighting for Dalmasca realized, much to their horror, what had happened when the fortress was assaulted by Archadian airships as they swooped in and attacked.

"The paling's fallen!" Rasler said in disbelief, feeling despair now that all hope for Nalbina had been lost.

"Then it's over," the knight replied solemnly.

Lord Rasler, however, did not want to accept defeat. He scanned the Archadian troops fighting the Dalmascan army, and his despair over his family and homeland turned into anger.

"For my father! For Oriana!" he bellowed with the intent to charge forward.

The loyal knight near him looked at him in alarm, realizing what he intended to do, then gasped. An Archadian soldier was kneeling at the edge of the bridge, his bow primed and ready as he pointed his arrow at Rasler.

"Lord Rasler!" the knight shouted as he raised his own bow and shot an arrow at the soldier in the hopes that it would hit its mark before the unthinkable happened.

Everything seemed to go in slow motion when the Archadian soldier released the string on his bow before the knight's arrow could reach its intended target. The two arrows sailed past each other just moments before the enemy soldier was struck in the heart and instantly killed.

Rasler, hearing the knight's call of alarm, gazed at him and noticed the object flying toward him from the corner of his eye. By the time he fully realized what it was, it was too late. Pain engulfed Rasler's senses as the fatal shot hit its target and struck him in the chest. He instinctively brought his right hand up and took hold of the arrow before slumping forward as his strength failed him.

As Rasler's consciousness began fading, he felt someone take hold of him and pull his limp body onto their chocobo. It was, without a doubt, the loyal knight that had been by his side through the entire battle. He fought to keep his eyes open, knowing he wouldn't be able to open them again if he closed them, but his attempts were all in vain.

Mother... Father... Eliana... Oriana... It appears I'm going to join you all sooner than expected.

I'm sorry, Ashe. I pray no harm will come to you.

I love you...

Farewell.

With those final thoughts, Rasler's life faded away.

The knight looked around tensely as dozens of soldiers started to approach from both sides, surrounding him and the fallen lord he had with him. An explosion of light brightened up the bridge, causing his attention to shift upward. One of the airships from above had been hit and was falling toward the bridge. It was only by luck that it missed and collided with the ground below, creating a massive explosion in its wake. Fire and smoke consumed the area, and the knight quickly used it to his advantage. He steered his chocobo forward and charged towards the men. Taken off guard, the soldiers could do nothing as the knight made his escape while stabbing anyone who stood in his path with his sword. All the while, he silently prayed he might be able to save Lord Rasler's life, not realizing the man he was trying to protect was already dead.

One of the lighthouses atop of the fortress came tumbling down after being shot by one of the airships soaring through the sky as he tried making his escape.

Nalbina Fortress had fallen and, with it, the Archadian Empire was one step closer to gaining control of Dalmasca.

~*~

Days later, the knight returned with Lord Rasler's body and the soldiers who survived the battle at Nalbina. The hope and joy created by Princess Ashelia and Lord Rasler's wedding shifted into sorrow and fear as news of his death and Dalmasca's defeat became known. It was only a matter of time before the Archadian Empire would strike once again, and this time it would be on the very lands of Rabanastre.

On the day of Lord Rasler's funeral, crowds gathered on the edge of the street leading from the palace to the cathedral. This time, instead of cheers of excitement, the people were silent and sorrowful as their former future king was carried down it within his casket. Many of those who weren't in attendance were in their homes, mourning the death of someone they lost in the battle. The very sky itself seemed to join in Dalmasca's sorrow as gray clouds covered its surface and rain fell onto the city, soaking everything in its path.

Princess Ashelia and her father were already inside the cathedral when her newly deceased husband's casket arrived. Only a single servant and the loyal knight who had brought his body to her were within the large room. It had been Ashelia's decision to only allow those close to her late husband to attend the funeral. She was dressed in an intricate black mourning gown as she stood near the altar with her father and the knight and grieved over her husband's death. A black lace headdress decorated her head; it was in stark contrast to the white one she'd worn only a few weeks before.

She was allowed to walk up to Rasler's side near the end of the funeral, so she could see him one last time. The moment her eyes landed on his body lying within his flower-adorned casket, tears streamed down her cheeks.

"Blessings of the Great Father descend and guide your body's return to the earth," the priest said. Ashelia fell to her knees, unable to remain standing as her grief consumed her. "Great Father, guide your spirit's return... to the Mother of All. There, you shall find peace. Faram."

Outside, the Archadian armada began making its way towards the city. Black crows followed them in their wake of destruction, pecking at the assorted wreckage they'd left behind. The time for battle was nearly upon them.

~*~

The Death of Lord Rasler Heios Nabradia was but one of many Tragedies to befall the Kingdom of Dalmasca.

The Air of Hope that had surrounded Her Royal Highness Princess Ashe's Wedding was now quite lost; Dalmasca had been set adrift, at the Mercy of History's restless Tides.

At this Time, two Great Empires struggled for Dominion over Ivalice: Archadia in the East, Rozarria, the West.

The invasion of the Kingdom of Nabradia was Archadia's first Step in its westward March.

With Lord Rasler's beloved Homeland consumed by the Hell-Fires of War, it seemed clear that Archadia would soon mete out a like Fate to Dalmasca.

The Fall of the Fortress at Nalbina tolled the Destruction of the greater part of Dalmasca's Forces.

A Counter-Attack was mounted by the Order of the Knights of Dalmasca, ever Brave and Faithful, but against the martial Might of the Archadian Armies, they stood little Chance of Victory.

Indeed, their Defeat was to be absolute.

Soon thereafter, Archadia came forward offering Terms of Peace. Or, as one might rather put it, Terms of Dalmasca's Surrender.

Lord Raminas, King of Dalmasca—and my Dear Friend —had no Choice but to accept these Terms. It was, thus, only with Reluctance that He set out for Nalbina Fortress—now under Archadian Occupation—to affix His Seal to the Emperor's Treaty of Peace.

The King had scarce departed His Royal City of Rabanastre when the Remnants of the Order made their Return. And not a Moment too soon, for a terrible Revelation awaited them.

The Treaty would be signed with Steel and Writ in royal Blood.

- Memoirs of Marquis Halim Ondore IV,
Chapter 12: Of the Fall of Kingdoms