Slow Dancing In A Burning Room

Chapter 2: The Ballad of Love and Hate

Aria Carter. Small town girl from Pittsburg, looking to achieve goals in life. High hopes for her future and nothing plans on holding her back. She was beautiful, she was passionate, she was everything I had looked for. She was love. I hadn't known yet that she'd be someone very special in my life for many reasons.

Hate was everything I had for people who wronged me in my life. It was the only way I knew how knew how to feel when facing situations that I would regret later in life. Hiding hatred from people seemed pretty easy as well. I never talk about how I feel, I always just locked feeling in my heart and only let people see a fake smile then I would be content with for so long. Since Jessica, love was the last feeling I wanted to express to someone. That was until college started, and then everything would change for me.

I had a class with her my freshman year of college, Psychology I think it was. I really didn't pay attention as I should have. During that time I had friends that I would begin to hang out with and it was the first time since high school. Leaving friends from back home was one of the hardest things I had to do since starting school. I saw Aria in the cafe where we had lunch and say hi to her. She saw me as the hype guy during freshmen orientation was seemingly was annoyed by how hype I was. Little did she know that I didn't want to be apart of that freshmen orientation crap and was just faking this hype persona.

"You're Miles right, the crazy hype guy from our freshmen orientation"? She asked me as I approached her in the cafe.

"I mean I wouldn't say crazy but yeah I'm Miles and you must be Aria"?

She confirmed who she was as we began to speak about how our classes were going and how our first year was going. Locked into those blue eyes with her jet black hair and thought how cute she was but knew if I tried to shoot my shot, one of two things would happen.

One: She would shoot me down in a heart beat and never again look my way or even give me the time or day to just say hi.

Two: She would have someone she was dating back home for a long time which would soon lead to some kind of engagement.

Usually in these cases one of these situations occur and with Aria, Her case was option 2.

She had a boyfriend back home, Jason. I didn't get my hopes up when I found out. I was relieved that I just didn't have to go through the suffering of her having a boyfriend and me just waiting for them to break up. I had gained another friend in her and to me that was the only thing that mattered. I needed a friend like her who was full of love and compassion for the world to fill this dark void in my life. I found that in her.

We were friends. She would introduce me to her friends and they would soon become big part of my life as well. Allison Richards, the one who was focused on passing her classes and had a heart for the Jonas Brothers like I've never seen in someone; she would be like a sister to me. Grace Miller, she was the same major as me, but we were pretty cool friends before Aria introduced me to her friend group. I even got to meet Aria's boyfriend a couple of time and he even stayed in my room once when he surprised her for the weekend. He seemed cool but a thought came in to my head and I asked myself, what the hell does she see in him? I left it alone and wished them the best.

As the semester went on, Aria and I became close friends. I would hangout with her in her room with friends around, through her a birthday party in my room, Facetime almost like everyday. I would get annoyed sometimes but I was just happy to have someone who actually wanted to talk to me.

We were friends. Nothing more. Not yet at least.