Status: Short Story

The Harvard Romance

Part Four - Student Teacher - After Hours

I finished at work and Mr. Sawyer had stayed for most of the night with his brother. They both had drank quite a few beers but they had left about a half hour ago at last call.

Aaron and I finished up cleaning and we walked out the front door of the club. "Just so you know I am still Going to be taking an Uber home with you. I know he was your teacher back in high school but he gives me the creeps. He was looking at you like he wanted to jump you. He was checking you out all night long."

"He probably just couldn't believe one of his former high school students works at this bar and of all the ones he went to it happened to be the one I worked at. I was valedictorian of my school you know?"

"Yeah your naive, he wants to fuck your brains out. I bet he always has, the way he is looking at you."

"You think so?" I looked at him hopefully. Oh shit I actually said that?

We were standing at the curb together and waiting for the Uber to come. "Oh shit, your into him. Aren't you? How long?"

"What? No of course not."

Some people were walking up and down the street even though it was late and almost three in the morning. I looked along the street and avoiding eye contact with Aaron. I saw a group of guys standing by a lamp post. They were all fairly intoxicated and they were laughing. I looked more closely and saw that one of them was Mr. Sawyer's brother. So is he there too?
One of the guys turned around and looked right at me and smiled. It was Mr. Sawyer. I couldn't help but smile back.

He broke from the group and walked over to me. "Hey Sydney."

"Hi, Mr. Sawyer. You are still here?"

"Yes, my brother met a couple of his friends here and we haven't left." His eyes were a little more loose, than they were earlier, as they wandered over my body this time. He was definitly drunk. My heart skipped a beat and I was enjoying being checked out. I knew this never would have happened if he wasn't drunk. My luck he won't even remember seeing me tonight. He might even forget that we have plans for lunch, Monday. Wait, would that be a date? Probably not.

"So what are you up to, Sydney?" God I loved how he said my name. It came out like it would for everyone else's but something about his voice made it sound sexy and enticing and...

Aaron came up behind me and put his arm around me. "You ready? The Uber driver is pulling up."

My head turned towards Aaron, he was glaring at Mr. Sawyer. "Uh sure."

"You heading home for the night?" Mr. Sawyer lost some of his excitement that he had when he first walked over.

"Yeah, it's three in the morning and I have a long day tomorrow." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Well don't forget to text me back, so we can get lunch Monday morning. If you still want too?" The excitement returned as if he was excited with the prospect.

I nodded my head a little to forcefully and Mr. Sawyer laughed.

"Well I guess that answers that." He stuck out his hand and said, "It was nice seeing you again, Sydney. I look forward to hearing how Harvard has been treating you. And maybe you can give me a few pointers for getting around the university."

"Of course." I took his hand and mine instantly tingled with the warmth of his. My whole body felt on fire and I stared at him. And my lips were stuck in what felt like the goofiest grin I had ever adorned on my face.

"Sydney, you ready? I don't think the Uber drive will stick around much longer. He has been honking the horn."

I looked towards Aaron, "Yeah."

"You should probably let go of his hand then."

"What?" My attention went back to Mr, Sawyer's and my hand still holding each other and I let go instantly. I couldn't look at Mr. Sawyer I hope he didn't notice. Shit what am I saying of course he noticed I held on to his hand longer than was sociably acceptable.  "Bye." I turned quickly towards the Uber.

"Bye, Sydney." Mr. Sawyer's voice had turned husky but there was also humor in it like he was laughing at me for holding his hand too long and then my reaction afterwards.