Status: Updated as much as possible!

Kids of Summer

Country Girl

(Kiara's POV)

Later that night at the dinner table, my dad kept rambling on about his job and the new cases he was working the entire time which bored me half to death. This visit wasn't going at all like I thought it would but at least I had met some new people in town who seemed really cool. I couldn't seem to shake Matt off my mind, his gorgeous eyes and cute dimpled face. It's not like it mattered though, I more than likely wasn't going to see him ever again anyways. "So Kiara, I was thinking maybe you and I could get to know each other better. How about the two of us go shopping tomorrow?" I briefly looked up from my plate of pasta to see that Danielle was actually talking to me. "Um, sure...I guess so." My dad instantly shoots me a look of upset which causes me to sigh deeply and change my response. "I mean yeah that sounds great." She smiles uneasily at me before returning back to her own plate. My appetite is completely lost at that point so I figure now is as good a time as ever to go to my room. "I'm tired after all the excitement from today, I'm gonna get to bed. Goodnight Dad, Danielle." They both just nod as I get up from my seat with my dirty dishes in tow and head off where I can still hear them talking, obviously about me. "I just don't think things are going to improve between us, she doesn't seem to like me at all." "Don't say that darling, it'll just take her some time to adjust, it's only been a few hours." "Maybe you're right, I just want her to be able to get on better terms with me by the wedding day." "I promise Dani, she'll come around." Oh you can count on that, Dad.

I decided to text my mom while I laid in my bed about the whole scenario I encountered today and she was just as shocked as I was to say the least. She even insisted that I go back home and not participate in the wedding at all but I assured her it was all going to be fine and that I would keep her in the loop. I could only imagine how tomorrow was going to play out too, seeing as it was supposed to be a way for me and 'Danielle' to bond. My mind kept wandering off back to the coffee shop though which helped bring a smile to my face. Suddenly digging through my pockets, I remembered about the tiny folded piece of paper that Matt had given me. Sure enough ten numbers were scribbled on it with a smiley face next to his name. There was no way I was going to text him now or probably not at all. It was better to keep my distance, especially from gorgeous guys like him. I wasn't here to find love, I was here strictly to have fun. "Goodnight, Kia. See you in the morning." I hear my dad say from the other end of my door. I don't say anything back, pretending to be asleep already. I felt slightly bad but shook it off before I change down into some pajamas and actually get ready to go to sleep. "Goodnight world, lets see what the future holds in the morning."

A swift and hard knock at the door jolts me awake what feels like only a few hours later. I open it slowly revealing Danielle with a chipper look on her face and an iced coffee in her hand. "Morning Kiara, this is for you. Iced mocha with almond milk, your dad said it was your favorite. Once you're ready to go we'll be off to the mall." I take it from her slowly, still trying to really focus on what was even going on at the moment. "Uh thanks. I'll be down in a bit." She smiles as I shut it gently, glancing at the clock on the nightstand to notice that it was already ten. Usually I'm already awake by the crack of dawn feeding the chickens and tending to the horses but the couple hour time change was really seeming to have an effect on me. I managed to somehow pull myself together with the help of the much needed caffeine to get ready in my perfect
outfit for the day ahead. When I finally made it downstairs Danielle was already waiting for me by the front door with her keys in hand. "Oh perfect you're ready. Let's get a move on." I don't reply and just follow her out to the driveway, getting inside her sparkling white Range Rover. The drive to the mall was painfully awkward as she tried her hardest to make conversation with me. "So I heard you live on a ranch back home, that must be fun huh?" I shrug, pretending to be focused on my cellphone. "Maybe, if you like getting covered in mud and cow manure." She doesn't respond and instead tries a different angle. "Did you enjoy seeing the beach yesterday?" Again I just shrug as an answer. "Yep. Saw some interesting things, met a couple of people." A clearly frustrated sigh escapes her lips at my bluntness which only makes me smirk.

When we finally pull up to the large shopping center I quickly hop out and start on my trek inside, praying that she was finished with the whole idea of us 'getting closer'. "Uh how about we make a stop inside the bridal store real quick before you take off on your own? I want to show you the dress you'll be wearing and see if we got the right size." I put on my best fake smile and agree, following her to the store deep inside. She hugs the woman who greets us as we step inside. "Oh Dani this must be your stepdaughter you were talking about." My eyes avert to hers in sudden disgust. What the hell did she just call me? "Sherri this is Kiara, we're here to try on her dress." I can sense the uncomfortableness in her voice which makes me relax my stare some. "Sure, lets get that out for you, come on to the back girls." We walk towards the fitting room areas where 'Sherri' hands me the awful cream colored gown that I was meant to wear to the wedding. It was ugly, bulky, and made me want to puke. But I still tried it on anyway to appease Danielle whether I hated it or not. "Oh you look beautiful Kiara, absolutely beautiful. The color really brings out your eyes." Another forced smile finds its way to my face as I model in front of the many mirrors. "Um thanks. Can I take it off now?" She nods, focusing her attention back on Sherri while I beeline back to change into my own clothes.

Once we're finished inside the store I immediately let her know that I was going to go venture off for a while. "Oh ok, sure, see you in a couple of hours." Her voice seems disappointed and I start to feel somewhat guilty but thankfully it goes away once I leave her sight. My first destination was the food court seeing as I only had coffee as my breakfast. The smells of the many different vendors soon filled my nose making my stomach grumble loudly. I settled on the pizza place off in a far corner, paying for my two slices of cheese and my can of Sprite. I then took a quiet spot in the distance away from people while I started to dig in. "Hey, isn't that the country girl you met at the coffee spot yesterday? Hey! Country girl! What are you doing here?" Hesitating greatly, I'm almost terrified to look up at the faces who are calling over to me. Nonetheless I do and I'm suddenly being met with those damn eyes that I couldn't stop thinking about all night and his merry band of misfits. "Uh hi guy who almost killed me with a cookie, Brian, Zack and Matt." He flashes a cheeky grin, sticking his hand out to shake "Name is James cupcake but you can just call me Jimmy. Matt noticed you and was too shy to come over so I thought I'd help. Whatcha up to? Enjoying our little town so far?" I peer over at Matt but he keeps his gaze shifted to the floor. "I am actually, nice to officially meet you Jimmy. I was just dress fitting with my dad's new fiancé but I'm done now. What are you all doing?" The guy named Brian tells me they were browsing around for shit for his new apartment but now they were going to some park to hangout and drink. "What do you think country girl, wanna hangout with us for a while?" I'm nervous as ever but decide a little fun couldn't hurt anyone. "I'm in."

I call my dad to let him know that I was going to hangout with some friends I had met yesterday so he could tell Danielle not to wait up for me. He insists that I come before dinner so that we could talk and I just agree to whatever he says. Matt is deathly silent the entire car ride to the park they mentioned and it almost made me feel like I was intruding on their space. "Hope you like beer cupcake, it's all we got for now." I let out a slight laugh as Jimmy hands me over one. Back in Texas we like to drink whiskey which was my party favor of choice so I certainly could handle a little beer without any problem. The walk from the parking lot to the 'secret spot', as they liked to call it, was short lived and Matt still hadn't said a single thing still which started to bug me. "So what are you gonna do once you go back to Texas, cowgirl?" I tell them that I was planning on attending Texas State University and majoring in animal sciences to own my own farm. "I wanna come! I wanna see all the pigs and horses! Can we go to Texas guys and see her farm?!" Jimmy's enthusiasm makes me smile happily. "Sure, you all can come once I have it settled." They chuckle and start talking about the different types of animals while I somehow seem to focus all my attention on Matt. "Hey, you alright over there?" He glances up for a moment before a sheepish smile finally creeps onto his face. "Yeah I'm fine. Sorry, just not used to having such a pretty girl around." My cheeks flush bright red at his comment. He couldn't be serious, this California, there was plenty of gorgeous girls here.

'Nice try but I know you're just trying to be nice." He shakes his head with those adorable dimples coming to surface. "No I mean it, I really feel that way. Girls around here are all fake tanned and plastic. You're real from what I can see." Again my cheeks are burning hot at his compliments. "Hey Matt, leave our new friend alone! You're making her flustered!" I start to feel completely embarrassed as clearly everyone can notice my face. "Shut up Jimmy, you're making it worse!" Thankfully I pretend not to notice a word they're saying as I take a few generous sips of my beer to try and avert the conversation. "Sorry about him, he's always trying to be a ladies man." My brows furrow a bit at that. Ah, so he was your typical playboy, I should have known. I'm sure he can tell that I've changed too simply by the look on his face. "Will you three shut up please? Kiara don't listen to them, I'm not like that honestly. I've only had like two girlfriends in my life." I force a smile, hoping to ease his worry some but definitely not mine. "I believe you don't worry. So why don't you all show me what there is to do for fun around here?" A lighter mood comes over everyone and soon enough we're all playing tag, and hide an seek, not really noticing that the hours are seeming to fly by and the sun is starting to set. "Shit, this has been fun and all y'all but I gotta get back home before dinner with my dad. Can I get a lift back?" Matt insists on driving me while the others stay behind to finish up the last of the beer. "It was fun hanging with you, cowgirl! See ya around!" I wave to them as we start to walk back, the silence starting to fill between us once again.

I give him directions to my dad's place which he can't believe that I live there. "That's a super wealthy neighborhood. What does he do for a living?" I tell him he's an attorney for some big law firm and that Danielle was a fashion blogger. "Sounds like a complete change than what you're used to." Oh you had no idea about it. "Yeah, my parent's have only been separated for not too long but I really didn't think he was already getting remarried. I didn't even know anything about it or that he even had a girlfriend until I got here yesterday." His face seems genuinely interested in what I was saying but I couldn't really believe I was opening up to someone I had just met the day before. "Wow, I couldn't imagine having to go through that. Well if you ever want someone to talk to, I'm always here to listen." I thank him for that as we pull up to the front of the house. "So I'll see you around sometime?" His voice is hopeful but also a bit unsure. I pat his arm with a grin. "Oh most definitely, you will. Here." I hand him over my phone number this time, telling him to text me. "You know, just in case you feel like texting first." A mischievous smirk spreads across his face as he realizes that I was afraid to be the one to make the first move. "You can count on it, Kiara."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope y'all enjoy this update! Much love! xo