Status: Updated as much as possible!

Kids of Summer

Cowboy Boots and High Heels

(Kiara's POV)

The next morning when I had finally woken up, my dad insisted that I stayed close around the house today to try and get closer with Danielle instead of taking off with my new friends. "But Dad! I was going to watch them have band practice today!" He flatly sympathized as he grabbed his suitcase to head for the door, saying that I could hang out with them later on before dinner. Already fully pissed off from the lack of sleep, I just agreed to whatever he said. I had hardly slept at all once I had got in last night because honestly I was texting back and forth with Matt. We were getting to know each other more and it was so interesting that I had completely lost track of time until Danielle had come knocking at my door. telling me it was already three in the morning. I was reluctant to even acknowledge her presence but still muttered an "Ok." in her direction. But what I learned about Matt showed we actually had a lot in common. His favorite color was black, obviously, he liked to play video games, be outdoors whenever possible and his favorite food was a close tie between pizza or barbeque. He also said he had a soft spot for sweets which made me think back to a couple of days ago when I first encountered him. I keep thinking if it wasn't for that out of control cookie, I never would have even known he existed.

"Kiara, if you're ready to head out now, I'll be downstairs waiting." I can hear Danielle's voice echoing off the walls from the staircase as I pulled my hair into a messy bun. I didn't have the slightest idea of where we were off to but I had a hunch it had to do with the wedding. "In a minute." I called back to her. My boots were seemingly nowhere to be found and I wasn't about to leave without them on my feet. *cling* Shit, who could that be already? I reached for my phone, noticing the name that flashed on the screen. It was Matt, he wanted to know if I wanted to go out for coffee since band practice was cancelled, just the two of us. "Kiara? What's taking you so long?" Danielle was growing a bit annoyed by the sound of her tone as she called out to me again. Frustrated, I ignore his text completely and continue on the hunt until I finally find them shoved into my closet. How the hell they even got there was a mystery seeing as I always keep them right next to my bed. Nonetheless I hurry up to get them on, grabbing my bag and dashing down the flight of stairs where Danielle is still impatiently waiting with her heels tapping on the floor. Her eyes immediately go to my feet, a forced pout coming to her lips. "Oh, I see you have your boots on again. I told your father to put them away, I bought you a nice pair of shoes. They're Prada, you know. Very expensive." I narrow my eyes some. She was clearly trying to get me to become some prissy little rich girl and it wasn't going to happen. Not to mention she tried to get my own Dad to throw out my boots. No one EVER touches my babies, I've had them since I was a child. "Thanks but no thanks, I'm quite comfortable in my own stuff. Now can we go? I've got plans later." She sucks in her bottom lip, forcing out another grin. "Sure, lets get going."

The drive was agonizingly awkward as we finally pulled up to a large property that had horse stables galore. "Orange County Equine? We're coming to ride horses?" I had to admit I was completely taken by surprise as she nods her head, her thick rimmed Gucci sunglasses never once moving out of place. "Something like that. We're actually having our wedding here, on their ranch house. It's going to be a real country wedding. Your dad insisted, to make you more comfortable." And just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, she pulls this shit. Foolish of me to think that we had actually came here to ride horses and just get to know one another. I don't say anything in response, just silently continue to follow alongside her towards the stables where a woman who I'm assuming to be the wedding planner was waiting for us. My phone doesn't stop going off every five minutes which ultimately annoys me to the point where I have to check it. To my not so surprise, they're all from Matt. He insists that he's extremely sorry if he seemed to come off too strong, and that he'll back off if it will make me feel more comfortable. My fingers fly across the keypad as I do my best in explaining to him what the situation I was currently dealing with was. His reply is obviously one of relief which makes me chuckle. "Kiara, do you know how to line dance? I don't want to spend the extra money on an instructor if you can just teach me for free." As I'm about to answer her, the obnoxious ringtone blares from my cell just in the nick of time. "Sorry, I gotta take this."

She just nods as I scurry off in the opposite direction, waiting until I'm out of earshot to answer. "Something told me that you needed rescuing, so here I am." Matt's sweet voice said from the other end. I let out a sigh while resting against a fence post. "I thank you for that. This lady must a lost her marbles. She wants me to teach her how to dance for the wedding. Hell no, no way in hell that will ever happen. But enough about me, what are y'all up to? No good huh? I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier either, bad reception." I can hear the sounds of muffled talking in the background along with what sounds like the guy named Jimmy, screeching something about going to a petting zoo. "Um sorry about that, he gets overly excited when it comes to animals. Which brings me to my next question, there's a carnival here in town this weekend, we're actually gonna go tonight and I was, well, kinda hoping that maybe, you would like to come with us?" The nervousness in his voice is adorable, I'll admit. But I guess it was better than being stuck with my dad and the she devil all night long talking about this wedding bullshit. "Sure, I'd love to. What time did you want to pick me up?" He excitedly says he'll be there around 5 so we could get there before the crowds moved in and I couldn't help but smile. "See you then." Once we hung up I headed back over to where Danielle was waiting with her arms folded tightly over her chest as she proceeded to yell and throw a total tantrum. "No!! Absolutely not!! I told you I wanted five star dining, not this white trash food!" The poor woman only lets out an exhausted sigh, returning her attention to the chef who throws his hands up in sheer defeat. "This is the finest cuts of beef! The choice lamb! Farm raised vegetables! You can't have a country wedding with caviar and foie gras! It's unethical!"

Clearly Danielle isn't having it as she then decides to storm off in a fit of rage, announcing that if it wasn't the way she wanted it, she wasn't going to have it at all. Thank God for that, if only it would happen. "Now Dani don't talk like that! We'll have everything straightened out before the big day next month, I guarantee it! How about you go on a nice ride and finish getting to know your new stepdaughter? We'll handle everything else from here." I shudder in disgust at the thought of that but she obviously sees it as a good idea, saying that she'd be in touch while motioning me to follow her. "Come along Kiara, we're finished here for now. Let's go up to the stables and see the horses that we'll be riding in on for the ceremony." I try my absolute hardest not to make a face but it's just no use as I groan inwardly. At least I was getting to ride a horse, that made things a tiny bit better. A slender man with graying hair shows us around the different breeds until we land on two black and white ones. "Wow, American paint horses, they're so pretty!" The man winks at me happily, noticing my knowledge of the animals. "You're not from around here, are you miss?" I tell him that I'm from Texas, that I ride horses in competitions, and that I lived on a ranch. He then says how they're always looking for help around the corrals if I was ever interested which only seems to agitate Danielle even more as the attention is taken off of her. I eagerly accept the invitation until an awkward sigh interrupts our chat. "Wow look at the time already, your dad is going to be home any minute. Let's go Kiara, we don't have all day." I shoot the man an apologetic look as we start on the annoyingly long walk back to the car. I couldn't believe how childish she was acting and it clearly was getting under my skin. She obviously could tell too, as I was silent the entire way back to the house.

"Are you alright? You haven't said a thing since we got there. Did someone say something to you or anything?" I don't answer her and keep myself occupied until we're parking in the driveway. Again she asks if something is the matter and I still don't respond as I head inside the house to get ready for my night out with Matt. "Hey Kia, where's Danielle? Is everything alright?" I pause briefly on my way to my room. "She's coming in behind me. I'm going to a carnival in town with some friends alright Dad? I'll be home by midnight." Just as he's about to speak in walks Danielle with a very sour look on her face. Thankfully I close the door right on cue so I don't have to hear them while I hunt around in my suitcases for a proper outfit for the night. In a matter of moments I'm examining over my choice and to be completely honest I couldn't be more happier. Even my makeup and hair had gone off without a hitch, just how I had hoped after the much stressful day I had already dealt with. "Kiara! Get down here!" Shit, that can't be good. I grab my bag along with my phone in hand, racing towards my Dad's voice. He was standing in the dining room, his arms crossed with a clearly disappointed look on his face. I could only imagine what bullshit story Danielle had come up with this time. "What's the matter?" He tells me to sit down first which I do so reluctantly. "Kiara, Danielle said that you weren't involved at all today with anything about the wedding. She said that you didn't make any effort whatsoever to even want to try and get to know her either. I thought we talked about this Kia, you gave me your word that you would treat Danielle right. I know this isn't easy for you to accept but you're just going to have to face that fact, she's going to be my wife whether you like it or not." At this point my blood is boiling hot and my face is starting to flush bright red. I couldn't believe what the fuck I was hearing. I literally had been here for two whole damn days, what the fuck did he really expect to happen? "Dad, I've only been here going on three goddamn days. I don't know what the hell you really expect to fucking happen, I haven't even unpacked my bags and already you're wanting me to leave! If you don't want me here just fucking say so!"

He goes completely mute, his face stiffened. I had never once in my life yelled at him like that ever and it even hurt me to do so. But he wasn't making this shit easy at all even if everything was mostly Danielle's fault in the first place. "You're right, I'm sorry Kiara. I shouldn't have been so hard on you, you literally just got here, clearly you need time to adjust. Go on and have fun with your friends. I'll see you tonight." In complete shock at the way he changed his whole demeanor, I just get up from my spot and give him a swift kiss on the cheek goodbye before bolting out the front door. Matt was thankfully already waiting outside and I didn't hesitate to climb in. "Kiara, I was just about to text you. Fuck, you look-you look really-wow. Um you look great." I giggle he stammers over his words, his cheeks tinted a light pink. "Thank you, you look pretty good yourself there." We exchange a quick hug which makes my own cheeks burn. Lord, they don't make boys like this out in Texas, that's for sure. The drive to the downtown area is rather pleasant as we sing along to the songs of Metallica blaring from his speakers. I was sure glad he liked pretty much the same stuff that I did, it was just the icing on the cake. Once we park, he races from the drivers side to open my door for me which I accept graciously. "Thank you. Are the others here already?" He says we're going to meet up with them and their dates near the Ferris Wheel then afterwards we could split up if I wanted to. I nod as we start for the entrance.

He pays for the tickets, handing me mine while we walk through the gates which I stuff into my pocket safely. "Alright let's get this show on the road. And since I invited you out, I'm paying for everything, got it?" I can't help but to grin wickedly. He was such an awesome guy already. "Fine, if you insist. But the next time we hangout, I'm paying." He laughs but agrees anyway. "Alright deal." He points out the ride where the guys were waiting. "There it is, let's move it." We're linked arm to arm making a beeline through the crowds. "Hey country girl!! Matt!! We're over here!!" Instantly we're greeted by Jimmy who eagerly awaits to introduce me to his date, Leana. She smiles warmly and I return "Nice to meet you." Then comes Brian with a girl named Michelle, Zacky with Meghan, and Johnny with a sweet girl named Lacey. "Now that we're all nice and acquainted lets go ride the roller coaster!! I waited all year for this!!" Jimmy chimes in excitedly. I look over at Matt who just shrugs. "Whatever you wanna do, I'm up for." With that all ten of us are headed over to the giant roller coaster that we had passed by on the way inside. I for one loved thrills and was super excited to ride it. "So Kiara how was wedding planning with Cruella De Vile?" Brian jokes which makes me let out an exhausted sigh. "Let me tell you, it was no picnic with that she devil. She had the nerve to try an get my daddy against me like I was the problem right before Matt came to get me." I suddenly feel my phone vibrate in my pocket, cutting off my train of thought. "Hang on a sec y'all." I peer down quickly at the screen, speak of the she devil. My dad had given Danielle my number in case of an emergency and she hoped that I had fun out with my new friends tonight. I shudder in disgust before shoving it away. "Everything ok?" Matt asks with a hint of concern. I shake my head with a smirk. "Perfect, don't worry." He seems to let out a breath of relief just as we approach the line for the ride. It was way bigger up close that was for damn sure. "Woohoo! First in line! I call the front!" Brian is the first to race up the stairs with Michelle in tow who take the very front. Everyone else follows suit which painstakingly leaves the very back for Matt and I. Not that I could say I minded it.

We get in the last car and I suddenly feel an arm drape over my shoulder once we're buckled in. I look up at Matt who sheepishly beams down at me. "Hope you don't mind, I just wanna make sure you don't fall out." I nudge him playfully in the side but relax into him comfortably. "Not one bit." Soon enough the ride roars to a start and almost immediately are we trudging up a steep incline for the huge drop that lie ahead. My heart is pounding in my chest once we hit the very top and before I could utter out a sound did we descend downwards. I couldn't remember the last time I had screamed and laughed so hard, it definitely had been a couple of years. Matt kept his grip on me the entire ride, only to let up once we came to a screeching halt back at the bottom. "Fuck yeah! That was awesome!! Let's go again!!" I was the first to disagree with Jimmy. "No way, let's go do something else! How about we go ride the bumper cars? Bet I could kick your ass Jimmy." He makes a fake shocked look with his mouth hung wide open before evilly smirking wide at me. "You're on cupcake! Bring it!" And so the challenge is on as we unintentionally leave everyone else behind and rush towards the gates to beat the line forming. The rest catch up a few moments later which suddenly makes me feel a tad guilty for leaving Matt behind. "Shit, I'm sorry, I just got caught up in the competition. You know us girls ain't somethin to mess with in Texas." He rolls his eyes jokingly and I swat his arm. "I mean it, I am sorry." He again slips an arm over my shoulder and pulls me into his side which I don't protest to at all. "Don't worry Kiara, I'm actually really happy you're getting along so easily with everyone. Including me, I didn't think it was gonna be this natural with you, seeing as we just met and all but you're fucking awesome." My face is fifty shades of red after that comment and I can't help but to look away shyly. "Thank you Matt, you're a real peach yourself."

And so after an admittingly ugly defeat that Jimmy wouldn't let me live down easily, we all decided to split off with our dates for the last hour and that we would see one another tomorrow at band practice. Matt and I walked through the different vendor isles and game booths for a good minute until stopping at a ball toss game. There was a giant stuffed cow, of all things, that could be won for knocking down a few of the milk bottles. "Watch and learn how a master of throw does it." I scoff lightly but let him do his thing. Needless to say, the master wasted about twenty dollars until he indeed, did walk away with the huge cow in his hands. "For you, dear." I squeal a little too excitedly before leaning up on my tiptoes and planting a kiss on his cheek. "You're too sweet, thank you." When I back away he's staring at me with a certain look in his eyes that I can't exactly comprehend. Nevertheless he has a joyous gleam and I feel my stomach start to do little flips. This can't be happening already! It's impossible! "What do you say we go ride the Ferris Wheel to end the night? The fireworks are gonna be starting any minute." My breath catches in my throat making it impossible for me to even speak so I do the next best thing and motion for him to lead the way. Low and behold once we get there does everyone else have the same idea as we run straight into all the guys. "Hey kids! Great way to end the night huh? OH MY GOD IS THAT A GIANT COW?!?!" Jimmy lunges forward, snatching the stuffed animal from my hands in sheer delight. "I SHALL NAME HIM SIR COWINGTON OF MILK!!" We all burst into fits of laughter at that which Jimmy thrives in until he hands my prize back to me. "Fine, we can name him that if ya want. Now hurry up, the line is moving!" Thankfully we all manage to get on the ride together just in time for the show to start. And of course wouldn't you know it, the cart comes to a stop right at the tiptop with me and Matt in it.

He keeps his arm over me protectively as the flashes and bursts of colors fill the sky. I was absolutely mortified of heights but with him, nothing seemed to bother me at this point and time. "This is a night I'm never going to forget ever. Darlin, you've got stars in your eyes."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you all still enjoy if you still take the time to read these updates! Again, as always, so sorry for the delay! Love and light xo