Status: Updated as much as possible!

Kids of Summer

Hit Me Like A Hurricane

(Kiara's POV)

After the whole scene on top of the ferris wheel with Matt at the carnival, I felt like I had made a complete ass out of myself. And I say that because as soon as the whole thing was done and he took me home, the awkward tension was so goddamn thick it could be cut with a knife and we didn't even say one word. So I did what I thought was best and left him on the backburner for the last three weeks while I tried to 'bond' with the she devil. Needless to say it obviously wasn't working because despite everything I couldn't keep him off of my mind. Which bugged me to no end seeing as I barely knew him for 3 days and already my heart was making terrible judgment calls. "Kiara, your father and I are going out to the country club for dinner tonight, would you care to join us? Or do you already have plans for the evening with your new friends?" The fake sincerity was apparent in Danielle's voice but I couldn't think of something clever to retort back as my phone started to ring. "Um let me get back to you on that." I quickly shut my door before answering it, not recognizing the number that flashed on the screen. "Hello?" I asked a bit puzzled. "Hey Kiara? Um it's Zacky, Matt's friend? You remember me right?" An uneasy feeling came over me but I still smiled nonetheless. "Of course I do. What's up? Everything alright?" He tells me that he was wondering what had happened between Matt and I because it seemed as if I completely fell off the face of the Earth after and that he along with the others had missed me. "Um well, nothing happened, I just needed to take a minute and try to work on things here with the witch and my dad."

I can tell he's not really buying it from the hesitance in my voice but thankfully doesn't press the issue much further and changes the subject. "Well there is a party tonight that we're gonna be playing, would you like to come? If you can I mean. I know you're busy dealing with wedding stuff but it would be awesome if you could stop by since you missed the last one. I'll text you the address and directions." We say our goodbyes while I pondered whether or not I should make an appearance. It was nice to know that people who I hardly knew had missed me but I still felt like I couldn't bring myself to face Matt yet. "Kiara! Are you going to go with us or not? You know how Danielle hates waiting!" My dad yells from the other side, his voice mixed with annoyance and frustration. On second thought, that right there helps make my mind up in an instant, I was gonna go to the party. "No, thanks anyway! I got plans! Have fun dad! Goodnight! See you later!" There's a heavy sigh in response and I can tell he's more than likely shaking his head as he walks away. As much as I loved my dad and wanted to spend time with him I couldn't help but think this was just what I needed to get myself back to normal. I still had about a month or so before I left back to Texas and I certainly didn't want things to end on a bad note between me and anyone.

The party didn't start until 8, leaving me with two hours to get ready and find a way to get there. Thankfully Zacky said it was just down the street from the mall and that it would be impossible for me to get lost. We'll see about that. I decided to change up my hair, letting its usual waves and curls be straightened out. Next was my makeup, opting for the smoky eye and thick eyeliner with a smudge of lip gloss. While carefully rummaging through my clothes I sent a quick text to my dad to let him know that I would be leaving for the night and that I would call him if I needed anything. His reply was subtle but I shrugged it off, I'm sure he was just busy dealing with Danielle and her bridezilla antics. "Now for the final touches." I found the perfect outfit in a matter of moments, this time opting out of my boots and wearing my new pair of black Converse that I had gotten at the mall the other day out with Danielle. I casually looked myself over in the large mirror behind my door. "Perfect." I grinned with pride, hoping that this look would knockout any competition out of my way. Making sure I had everything tucked safely inside my bag I hoisted it up over my shoulder as I made for the front door, switching on the porch light before I headed off into the cool night air. The bus was thankfully on time as I hopped in and took a seat closest to the window. The directions Zack gave me were pretty brief but he definitely was right, it was impossible for me to get lost seeing as the house was only a few feet away from the main highway.

When I walked up the winding steps, music could be heard blaring from inside. People from all walks of life were scattered about but not a moment later did I at least recognize one particular face once I got in. "Hey, it's country girl!" Jimmy immediately comes bobbing over, giving me a hug. "Where the hell have ya been? I thought you went back to Texas without saying goodbye." I shake my head with a slight shrug. "Nah, just had to figure things out with my evil step mom to be." He nods, handing me over a cup filled with mysterious liquid that smells almost like straight up gasoline. "Um what exactly is it?" He says some kind of concoction that their friend Jason whom I'd yet to meet made up of vodka and tequila mixed with coke. Needless to say it wasn't half bad but I still was a bit suspicious either way. "Now you go and enjoy yourself pretty lady cause I gotta find the others, we go on a few. Make sure to watch us!" I wave him off with a smile, wandering in the opposite direction. It doesn't take much longer of my meandering until I'm met with another familiar face who was currently engulfed in a conversation with some slutty looking blonde who clearly wasn't the same girl from the other night, as she ran a finger up and down his chest. Zacky. He catches my eye in a split second and almost sends the poor girl flying backwards as he practically runs up to me. "Hey Kiara, you made it! See, I told you it's impossible to get lost." His green eyes were gleaming, clearly he's had some to drink already.

I give him a hug, not really noticing that we're still holding onto one another until Brian comes next to greet me. My face is flushed red as we pull away. "Kiara! I was just asking Zee here about you! Wow, definitely changed it up tonight huh? I'm digging it." He flashes a sly wink and I can't help but to swat at him. "Don't underestimate me y'all, I'll still kick any of your asses any minute. Now don't you got a show to do or somethin? Jimmy was lookin for everyone just a minute ago. And don't worry I'll be right here to watch." They each bid me a farewell with Zacky stopping to give my hand a light squeeze before darting off in the direction of the backyard. I found it odd that he was being the one so affectionate towards me especially since he knew Matt was cozying up, but then again, I wasn't anybody's, no one could claim me. That was the entire point of me having a summer to remember out here. I wasn't going to fall in love with anyone and I was just going to have as much fun as possible no matter what. Once I heard the sounds of guitars tuning up, I knew I had to get the best spot to make myself known to the person who I really wanted to notice me. Thankfully there wasn't too many people standing in my way as I got a good spot right in the very front of the mic stand where I knew Matt was about to make an entrance. And not a minute too soon might I add. His big hazel eyes lingered briefly over the crowd before catching onto mine. There it was like time had stood still and the wind completely knocked out of me as my breath hitched in my throat.

His lips curled into a playful smirk before his voice roared and echoed throughout the entire house. They were definitely an energetic bunch as the shredded through two of their songs simultaneously without stopping to make small talk. People seemed to enjoy it too as they moshed and slammed around. I wasn't exactly sure what to do next as they started their final song and a girl who I hadn't seen before had joined in alongside Matt. She had choppy dark hair and light skin, her black lips adorned in a wide beam as she looked directly at him. My hands began to tremble as I watched everything unfolding in front of me, stating the obvious that Matt had already had a girlfriend and that things between us were simply friendly. Either that or she was simply a close friend of theirs and I was taking things way out of context. Whatever the case was I knew I needed to get the fuck away in case things got out of hand. Just as they ended their set I downed the rest of my drink, tossing the finished cup aside and shoved my way through the mounds of people rushing straight for the exit. I almost made it too until I was stopped practically dead in my tracks by those same damn eyes that stole my breath away mere moments ago. "Kiara wait, don't go please. What's wrong? I haven't heard from you in weeks. I thought you-I thought you didn't wanna hangout anymore." I don't know it but tears are swelling and starting to leak, which makes his face drop even further. "You don't have to explain anything to me Matt, it's fine, we're just friends. For fucks sake we just barely met, it was stupid of me to think that I was feeling-whatever it doesn't matter. I-I have to go." He stands there with a dazed look on his face as I push past him without another glance.

"Wait up! Kiara! Hey! Hold on!" I don't stop to look at who's calling me but soon a hand swiftly catches mine, making me spin around to face them. It's Zacky, huffing and trying his best to catch his breath. I wipe at my eyes hurriedly to try and cover up any of the fact that I indeed did cry. But its pointless, he clearly knows and saw what happened. "I have to go Zacky, thanks for inviting me but I think I'm done hanging around for the summer." He tilts my chin up with his free hand to make me look up at him. "Don't say that please, I know we're all barely getting to know each other but you're really fun to hangout with, I would hate for that to stop. I know what happened in there and I really am sorry, I didn't invite you just to have your heart stepped on, I promise. That girl you saw in there is Val, she's Matt's ex but they've stayed friends since they broke up. It's a touchy and weird subject but I swear, he wouldn't just lead you on like that, I know he does feel something for you. I don't really know what the fuck to say, but look, can I at least take you home?" I stay silent, what the fuck was I supposed to even say to any of that? I agree to let him give me a ride back seeing as I wasn't in the mood to sit on a lone bus in the middle of the night anyways. He drapes his arm over my shoulder, keeping me close to his side as we walk to his car. Once inside he passes me over a cigarette but I decline politely as he starts the engine. "I can respect that, these things will kill me sooner or later. Just give me an address and we'll be there in no time hun." I laugh weakly at his statement when something inside makes me change course. "Actually, if you're up for it, I was thinking maybe we can just hangout? I don't really feel like going home and I'd love to get to know you better."

He rests his hand on top of mine, letting a content sigh escape from his lips. "I'd love nothing more than that, honestly. Let's get this show on the road then."
♠ ♠ ♠
OK OK so, I don't know what really to say anymore except I hope you all who still read this enjoy! I don't really like the way it turned out but it's going to get better I promise as time goes on! I will definitely be here updating more frequent as soon as possible, but I hope everyone is doing well! Enjoy! xx