Status: Updated as much as possible!

Kids of Summer

Beer Never Broke My Heart

(Kiara's POV)

All I could remember about last night was that I had seen the full moon bless the shore of the beach before and then seen the perfect sunrise grace it in the morning after. And I guess the fact that I woke up wrapped in someone's arms covered in sand also didn't hurt to mention either. His face was peaceful and I felt terrible for disturbing him but I absolutely had to get home before my dad figured out that I was gone all night without letting him know that I was at least ok. His green eyes were groggy but he still had an adorable smiled plastered on his lips. "Sure thing cowgirl, lets get you back home." Reluctantly we held hands walking back to his car and I honestly didn't mind seeing as I really got to know him well last night anyways. And the drive to my house wasn't awkward at all so that definitely added bonus points to the entire encounter. "Look um, Kiara, I know what happened last night was just what it was, but I really had a great time with you. I seriously hope that whatever is going on between you and Matt works itself out. You're an awesome girl and it would be a shame to see you leave so soon." I leaned over and placed a simple peck on his lips, thanking him for everything as I got out. "Thanks Zacky, you're a real gentleman. I'm sure you'll see me around." And with that we part ways while I trudge up the stairs to the front door, noticing that my neither my dad nor Danielle were anywhere to be found so far. "That was a close one." Just as I reached for the doorknob, it flung open, revealing a not so happy looking father. Son of a bitch.

He's standing there with his arms folded tightly over his chest but I don't bother to even say anything as I walk past him and start up to my room. Only when I go to shut it does he finally come in after me with Danielle close on his heels. "Excuse me Kiara but don't you think you could've had the decency to at least give me a call or a text saying that you weren't coming back? I was worried to death that something happened to you! And look at you! You're a mess! You're covered in sand and your clothes are filthy! What the hell were you doing?" I still don't say anything as I gather my clean clothes for a much needed shower. "Hello! Are you even listening to a thing I'm saying to you?!" With a sigh I give him some sort of acknowledgement. "Yes, I hear you loud and clear. Sorry, it got late and I didn't have my keys so we just had a campout at the beach. So I'm goin to shower now if you're done fussing." Just as I was about to step towards the bathroom does the evil step mother try to intervene and stand directly in my path. "Um excuse you, get outta my way." She's holding her ground, causing my blood to start to boil. "Your dad is right Kiara there's no excuse for how irresponsible you're acting. You could have been hurt or something and no one would have known where to even look for you! You owe your dad an apology." I try my hardest to stifle a laugh but its useless, it slips right out and I didn't care one damn bit. "For your information, I'm 18 damn years old, I am an adult, I can look after myself and sure as hell can save my own hide without any help from you! You're not my momma and certainly won't ever be her! I'm not sure what in God's name my daddy sees in you but I sure can tell that you're nothing more than two-timing tramp!"

Silence. Absolute dead fucking silence. No one says a thing as she turns quickly on her feet and rushes out of my room. I didn't feel one ounce of guilt neither, she had it fucking coming to her thinking she could talk to me like that. "Kiara I don't even know who you are anymore." My dad's voice lingers as he goes after Danielle, leaving me standing there alone with my own thoughts. I knew from the moment that I got here that this was going to end in complete disaster. How silly of me to think that I could try and make things work with this situation. Maybe I guess a part of me just really hoped that I could stick it out long enough to make new memories that actually mattered to me. "Well it looks like vacation is being cut short guys." I mumbled mostly to myself but also knew that I was speaking subconsciously to Matt and everyone else. After what just happened now there was no way that I would be able to stay any longer. I don't think I could force myself to put up with their bullshit. Nevertheless I go on with my shower which by the time I had gotten out the water had ran icy cold. As I headed down the hallway to my room to get ready not a noise could be heard for miles meaning that the house was empty. Thank God for that. As I ran a brush through my wet hair after getting dressed I decided to call the only person who could give me the advice that I needed on whether or not I was doing the right thing by chewing up and spitting out my soon to be step mother. "Momma, I think I'm gonna be comin home already."

There's a long pause followed along with a deep sigh. "Kiara I heard what happened between you and your daddy a while ago, he called me fussing up a storm. You had every right to be angry but no real reason to hurt that woman's feelings none the way that you did. I don't blame you truthfully but it still don't mean we gotta go out of our way to hurt someone. If you wanna come home I'll be here waiting for you but if you decide to tough it out til the end, I'm sure it'll be more fun. Especially since I hear you're makin lots of friends already. Any cute boys?" I chuckle lightly with a cheeky grin. Momma always knew I was boy crazy and hoped that someday I would be settling down to give her grandkids. So of course, I can't help but to tell her about the guys. "Well yeah I've met a few nice people. A nice guy named Matt and his friends, they're in a band and such, I actually was out with them last night. That's why daddy was so mad." It's her turn to laugh now. "My little girl, you're always marching to that own beat of yours. I love you Kiara, you let me know what your plans are by the end of the day alright? Talk soon." Once we hang up I can't seem to shake off the guilty feeling that was starting to eat at me. Last night with Zack was amazing, I won't lie about that, but I still felt like maybe he was right that I should give Matt a chance to explain things. Reluctantly enough I find myself dialing his number which he answers on the first ring. "Hey uh-um- Kiara, what's up?" My pulse is racing as I try to think of what exactly to say to him without sounding too desperate. "Matt do you wanna meet up for that coffee? We kinda need to talk." Its an agonizing minute until he agrees simply. "Sure, I'll see you there in ten minutes."

I make sure that I lock up everything on my way out, stopping only to check the mailbox briefly as I start on my short walk to the coffee house where I was hoping that things could be worked out between us. As soon as I get inside I instantly notice Matt sitting in the far back corner with his hands tucked inside his hoodie pocket. "Hey." I mumble rather quietly before taking the seat directly in front of him. He flashes a warm smile which I was glad to see. "Hi, you look good." A blush creeps onto my cheeks as he passes me over a small drink. "Iced mocha, almond milk, no whip." Wow, he barely knew me and already remembered what it was that I liked. "Thank you. So listen, about last night-" He raises his hand up rather quickly, cutting me off. "No no, I'm really sorry, I should be the one explaining first. That girl you saw is my ex girlfriend, we-we're sort of friends I guess. But I promise there's nothing else going on with us. Just when I saw you take off I didn't know what to really do. I mean we haven't talked or hung out in the last few weeks, I figured you were- I thought I fucked up after the carnival. I thought that maybe I gave off the wrong signals especially because we just met but I-I think-I do like you, Kiara but I don't think that things could work out serious between us." My mouth falls slightly open and the look on my face is probably priceless as I hear those words come from between his lips. "Matt I'm only here for another month or so, I totally understand if you just want to have fun besides I'm not looking for anything serious either. I came out here to have a good time and I-I was kind of drunk last night anyway and didn't realize what I was saying." His brows furrow a bit a like he knew that I was probably lying off my ass but I didn't care one fuckin bit. It was stupid of me to even think that the feelings I had were probably mutual, we didn't even fucking know each other, how stupid could I actually fucking be?

"Um listen, I should get going, thanks for the coffee. I'll see you around Matt." I hurry out of the booth as fast as humanly possible not wanting to hear his response as I head out of the front door. My initial reaction is to cry and Lord tell me why I am so damn stupid but instead I pull out my phone and call my mom again to give her my decision on whether or not I was gonna pack up and head back home. "Hey momma, I just wanted to tell you that I'm gonna be sticking it out a little while longer. I love you ok? I'll call you in a few days to check in." Yep, nothing was gonna scare me away that easy especially not one little slip up. I was here for a good time, not a long time and I intended to make every last little bit of it count.
♠ ♠ ♠
I absolutely do not like how this chapter turned out and it's going to irritate me to the core especially because I couldn't get my brain to properly execute how I wanted things to go but ALAS! I hope you all enjoy anyways! I PROMISE the next one will be so much better and more exciting and all that jazz. Love you all! xx