Status: Completed. Hopefully I can get around to writing the second book.

The Quest

Chapter Twenty Four - Full Moon

Tess peeked outside to see that the sun was setting. She knew she only had a few hours before Tom transformed. A couple of wolves saw her peeking out of her hut and bared their teeth at her. She squeaked and stepped back a few feet from the entrance. She turned to see Tom observing her. He looked exhausted. “How are you feeling?” she asked, walking up to him.

“I’ll be fine,” Tom brushed her off. He strode to a far side of the room and removed his shirt, laying it on the floor. He looked outside to see the sunset. His first transformation since becoming an alpha. How would this time differ from all the other times?

“Tom?” Tess’ small voice brought him back to the present. He turned to see her hugging herself. Ever since the confrontation earlier, she had been acting scared. He knew where her fear was coming from. She had never been around this many wolves on a full moon before. Back home, one of his parents would stay with Tess. The other took him and his brother camping for their transformations. Whichever parent stayed with Tess would force their transformation. This way, they had better control over their actions. They couldn’t do it too many full moons in a row or they’d get listless, but that was a chance Tom was willing to take. He’d force his transformation tonight and hope for the best. To protect Tess.

Tom walked up to Tess in a couple of strides and brought her in for a long needed hug. “Everything’s going to be okay,” he whispered into her hair. He breathed her scent in. It was calming. He felt her tighten her arms around his waist. Her body was trembling with the unknown. He released her, then got eye level with her. “I’m going to shift early. You’re going to stay next to me and go to sleep. Your protection sigils will keep us safe.”

He watched as Tess’ teary eyes looked into his. He couldn’t remember a time when she had been this scared before. “But this is the first time you’ve shifted since you became an alpha,” she croaked out. She knew this shift could be harder than the rest. If only they knew why, it could be harder.

“I’ll be fine,” Tom reassured her, cupping her face in his hand. “You made recovery potions, right?”
Tess nodded.

“Then we’ll be fine come morning.” Tom smiled, standing back up. “Turn around so I can undress.”
Tess smirked. It was true, his clothes allowed for his transformations, but velcro can only last for so long. He always undressed before his full moon transformations. She turned and stared at the wall behind her, studying the symbols she had placed there. She continued staring at the wall until she felt a wet nose nuzzle her hand.

“Gross, Tom,” she laughed, turning to face him. “My goodness, you’ve become huge!” She laughed at him as she scratched behind his ear. Before his transformations made him as tall as her, now he had grown a good foot taller. She hugged his neck, burying her face in his fur. “You’re so soft too.”

Tom snorted, making Tess laugh. “Right, we’re being serious,” Tess tried to humble herself before she glanced at his paws. “One more thing.” She grabbed at his paw and held it to her face. “It’s so big,” she broke out into more laughter, as Tom sighed. She could imagine him rolling his eyes at her.
Time for bed; Tom’s thoughts intruded into her head as he nuzzled her hand once again.

“Fine,” Tess sighed. “Where are we sleeping?”

Tom laid down in the middle of the hut, he watched as she sat by his side. He curled his tail around her, then laid his head near her lap. “Good night,” Tess smirked, patting him on his head. She knew it annoyed him whenever she did that. She laid back on his side. The full moon would be up soon.

-----

Tess sat up when she heard a howl. “Tom?” her voice trembled.

Tom’s snout pushed into her chest, making her sit back once again. More howling could be heard nearby. Tess’ heart beat quicker as the howling increased.

Tom curled around her more, trying to calm her down. Tess gave him a smile as she patted his head. The howling was now outside of their hut. Tom growled. Tess felt the vibrations in her lap. They were reassuring her for some strange reason.

She jumped when she heard a thud, then a whine as a wolf jumped for the door and was rebounded. Tom’s ears faced forward as he listened to the wolf pack surround them. “Tom,” Tess whimpered.

I’ll keep you safe; Tom’s thoughts reassured her, as he kept watch on the door. Tess snuggled back into Tom’s soft fur, feeling the safest she had since setting foot in the wolf camp. Tom would protect her.