Status: Completed. Hopefully I can get around to writing the second book.

The Quest

Chapter Twenty Seven - One and a Half Years Later: Tess

Tess sat on a window seat reading her parents’ spell book. Her dark hair was held in a loose bun at the base of her neck. She turned the page, perusing through energy-saving spells. Absentmindedly twirling her hand towards the lightly curtained window. The snowflakes reacted to her hand movements. Dancing in midair as she manipulated their paths.

Tess looked up when a knock sounded on her bedroom door. She snapped her fingers, making her book disappear. “Yes?” she called, standing up from her seat. The black velvet dress she wore cascaded to the floor.

“Priestess, it’s time for dinner,” a medium-sized troll bowed towards her after he opened her door. He kept his eyes averted, never looking her directly in the eyes.

“Thank you Dorian. Tell mother I’ll be down soon.” Tess replied, giving a small nod to the troll, who straightened then walked away. Tess walked to the vanity that was on an opposing wall and sat down. She pulled her hair out of its loose bun and began brushing it. She looked in the mirror to see her thin, pale face.

She had turned into a petite young lady over the past year and a half. Her hair shone a bright ebony color, now falling past her shoulders. She had grown quite a few inches since she had begun her studies. No longer the little girl that she had been before.

She watched as her skin shimmered as the light danced on it. The changes had happened a few months ago. Only now becoming more pronounced. If she were to look in her mouth, she could see little nubs where her siren teeth were trying to break through. It was only a matter of time before she was to do her final ritual to make the changes permanent.

Tess walked to her wardrobe to choose a dinner outfit. Her guardians had gifted her with several beautiful gowns. Tess was terrified of ruining them, but her mother always loved seeing her in each new outfit. Today she chose a baby blue dress with a white sash at the waist. She changed out of her previous dress and put the new one on. She smoothed the fabric, so it fell effortlessly to the floor.

A high priestess always needs to look presentable, she reminded herself. She looked in her full-length mirror to check her appearance, swaying a few times, making the dress move with her. She loved the way they moved and twirled with her body. Once she was satisfied, she left her room and made her way to the dining hall.

Tess walked down the hallway in a slow and dignified manner. Looking ahead to survey her surroundings, she wasn’t supposed to pay attention to the servants as they went by her. They were below her and didn’t need her attention. Tess made it to the dining hall to see her guardians already sitting at the table. They were serving dinner.

“Glad you could make it, Priestess,” one lady greeted as Tess passed.

Tess nodded her head at the woman. “I would never miss a chance to dine with all my sisters.” Tess continued along the table until she reached the head of it. She nodded to the woman who had taken care of her since she had arrived, then sat on her right side.

“What took you so long to join us?” Matera asked, as she cut into her dish, not paying mind to those around her.

“I was reading a good book,” Tess answered, her hands in her lap, waiting to be served. She sat up straight in her chair, chin held high in the proper manner they had taught her. Servants came, filling her plate and drink. Backing off to the wall as fast as they had come, awaiting further demands.

“Hm, is that all?” Matera asked, taking a sip from her goblet, giving Tess a hard look. “Not howling at the moon?”

Tess gave a small smirk. “No ma’am. I gave that childish stuff up months ago,” Tess answered, eating from her plate. She had been howling at the moon in an attempt to communicate with Tom when she had first arrived. Since she wasn’t a wolf, she couldn’t hear if he returned her howls. It wasn’t like he was coming to get her, anyway. He was probably thankful he didn’t have to take care of her anymore.

“Good girl,” Matera smiled, placing a chilly hand on Tess’ warm one. “We can now focus on the bigger things.” Matera gave her a toothy grin filled with black, needle-like teeth. She then stood and tapped a knife on her glass, causing the room to grow silent. “I am happy to announce we have a birthday coming up in the next couple of months,” the siren announced, beaming from where she was standing. “Our priestess will be sixteen, and we are excited to share the coming of her powers with everyone here.” The room erupted in a small cheer as the siren sat back down, resuming her meal.

“Mother, I appreciate your wanting to celebrate my birthday, but it doesn’t have to be a big party,” Tess smiled. Her last birthday had been a fairly big to do. She couldn’t imagine how much bigger this one could be.

“Nonsense,” her mom brushed her off. “Sixteen is a big deal, especially for our priestess. You’ll be able to take those bracelets off.”

Tess looked at her wrists to see the thin silver bracelets on her arm. They helped her control and strengthen her magic. They used to be big and bulky, but as she got used to her magical abilities, they had shrunk.

“Oh, but they’re so pretty,” Tess smiled as she admired the bracelets. A servant stopped by and refilled Matera’s plate.

“Oh, sailor’s heart, what a delicacy,” Matera purred as the servant backed away. “I can get you prettier ones,” she returned to the original conversation, cutting into the heart and taking a bite.
Tess watched on, unphased as her siren mother began devouring the heart. She looked down at her own plate. They had served her a stew. Chunks of meat swirled around the top. Tess knew the meat was from the most recent ship raids. The sirens were slowly introducing her to their food. This is also why she was changing into a siren.

“I will appreciate whatever you choose to give me,” Tess replied, lifting her water glass and taking a sip. A priestess was always gracious for what they’re given, she reminded herself.

“Oh come now, Darling. Take a sip of this. It’s good for you,” Matera offered Tess a drink from her glass, which contained a thick red liquid.

Tess took the drink offered to her, then took a sip of the liquid. It was blood. Still warm from the sailor, the sirens were eating. She couldn’t deny the feeling when she drank it. It flooded her with an undeniable force that made her magic surge with power. “Thank you, mother. You’re right, it was exactly what I needed.” Tess dabbed at her lips with a white linen napkin that she had placed on her lap.

The siren nodded, smiling, “Mother knows best.”

“I appreciate your wisdom,” Tess replied. She finished her meal, then excused herself to prepare some moon water for a future ritual.

“Don’t stay up too late,” her mother called after her. “You have a test in the morning.”

“Yes, mother,” Tess replied, then left for the kitchen to gather a few jars.