Status: Completed. Hopefully I can get around to writing the second book.

The Quest

Chapter Thirty Six - Trap

Tom sat on a barrel in the kitchen helping Nyx peel vegetables for supper. They were running with a ghost crew of ten sailors. It had been agreed that people could pass to the nearest town if they didn't want to risk their lives. Since they would sail directly into siren waters. The crew that left wished them well, and they went on their journey.

Tom looked up as Nyx was conversing with Rune. He was most likely looking for a snack. He was always hungry. Tom concentrated on peeling the potato in his hand. He couldn't get used to these "normal" senses. They weren't as sharp as his wolf senses. After he had passed out he had woken back up on The Lucinda May, Destru had watched over him worriedly. He had been incredibly sore and weak, trying to stand was enough to make him exhausted the first few days.

He had changed more than just getting human ears and losing his tail. He had been slightly muscular as a wilkolak. While he still had some muscle tone, he hadn't realized how much of it had been because of his wolfness. Destru had helped him get used to his new self. He had never realized how much his tail had helped with balance. Or how much he had relied on his wolf hearing and sense of smell.

Nyx looked towards the deck when he heard feet pounding above them. "You should check on them," he instructed, as he continued to chop vegetables.

Tom nodded his head, grabbing his sword that had been resting near the door. Nyx couldn't go into the sunlight to help them if they were under attack, anyway. Tom felt the sword at his side. Destru was helping him learn how to use it. He was thankful he was a fast learner, because he knew he'd have to use it any day now.

Tom got to the top deck in time to see a couple of men being brought on board. They were sopping wet and shaking in terror, scratches littering their body. "What happened to them?" Tom asked as he came up to the men.

"Sirens!" the taller of the two all but screamed. "You must take us to the nearest port!" The man turned to Destru, who had overseen them coming aboard. The man had a wild look in his eye. He was definitely terrified of something.

"How did you escape?" Destru asked, trying to comprehend what was going on. People didn't escape sirens, especially when they were hunting you.

"We fell overboard," the other man spoke up. Tom regarded him as he explained the fighting that had taken place. This man was closer to Tom's age, with brownish hair and bright green eyes. "We didn't see them coming. Their skin blended in with the water. Everything was peaceful, then the next it wasn't. I got pushed into the water and Jethro jumped in after me." The younger man looked around at the gathered crew, his face falling. "Where's the rest of your crew?"

Destru grimaced as he prepared to tell these poor men they weren't safe. "We're hunting sirens." Destru had a guilty look on his face as the two men looked on in horror.

"Please, I have a wife and a child back home," Jethro pleaded, falling to his knees. "I can't face them again."

"I as well," the younger sailor dropped to his knees, copying his crewmate. "I barely escaped death last time. I don't want to test fate again."

Destru looked to be at a loss. "The nearest port is a good couple of days from here." The sailors looked panicked. Destru didn't want what few men he had to follow suit. "But I'll consult the charts and see if we can do a minor detour."

The men nearly passed out in relief upon hearing this.

"Rune, take these two to Nyx and get them warmed up," Destru continued while motioning towards Tom to go to his cabin.

"Right away Cap'n" Rune saluted, then showed the survivors to the kitchens.

Tom followed Destru to the cabin, worry gnawing at the pit of his stomach. They stayed silent until the cabin doors closed. "Destru, what's the matter?" Tom asked. There were charts scattered all over Destru's table, mapping supplies scattered everywhere.

"I thought this was a common fishing ground for the business back in the last town," Destru started. Moving his map supplies until he could find a compass. The needle continued to spin, never finding its north marker. "This blasted thing hasn't stopped spinning for three days now."

"What's that mean?" Tom asked, confused.

"There is something messing with the compasses in the area. I think the sirens have magic users among them, and they're putting up wards to mess with the sailors." Destru explained, putting the compass back down.

Tom contemplated for a few moments, glancing toward the compass and the maps, then outside. "Are we lost?"

Destru sighed, sitting in a chair, looking defeated. "I've been sailing for many years, and I've never encountered something as strange as this. I know how to pilot by the stars but," Destru sighed once more. "They've moved."

"I don't understand...how do stars just move out of place?"

Destru shook his head. He pulled a bottle of alcohol towards himself and popped the top off. "Powerful magic... keep those sailors occupied. Hopefully, we can keep them alive through this." Destru swigged from the bottle before being thrown from his chair. "What in the blazes?" he shouted, getting to his feet.

Tom and Destru rushed to the deck as everyone picked themselves up.

"Capt'n!" a shout from the crow's nest. "Reef! It goes for miles!"

"Coral only grows in shallow waters," Tom thought out loud. "I thought we were in the middle of the ocean."

"I had thought that too," Destru ran to the front of the boat, looking to see how bad the ship was. Destru started calling out orders, the crew scrambling to get everything done. There was an air of danger about the boat. Nyx must have sensed it in the kitchen, because he didn't allow the other sailors to come up and help.