Status: Completed. Hopefully I can get around to writing the second book.

The Quest

Chapter Nine - Secrets

It didn’t take long for Tess to find the ingredients, including the ones she would’ve gotten at the flower fields. “You’re going to be busy for a couple of days,” Tom laughed as Tess carried her large bag of herbs.

“They had such good quality herbs,” Tess beamed, nearly skipping in front of Tom as they made their way to Destru’s ship.

Tom shook his head in amusement, his heart bouncing along with Tess as she continued along the dock. She stopped suddenly once she made it to the plank leading to the ship’s deck.

“What’s the matter?” Tom asked, looking from Tess to the ship. She had been so excited earlier, he wasn’t sure how, but Destru had made an impression on her. Tom looked up towards the ship, remembering her uncertainty earlier that day. “We don’t have to go if you don’t want to.” Tom took her hand and gave a gentle squeeze.

“I don’t want to disappoint him.” Tess looked up at Tom, putting on a brave face.

“I don’t think he ever gets disappointed,” Tom muttered. Destru appeared over the railing and waved towards them. It was hard to tell with his long coat on, but it looked like his tail was going a million miles an hour.

“Come on, Tom,” Tess pulled at his arm as she forced herself onto the boat.

“Hello once again, young lass,” Destru bowed, while twirling his hat. “Brother,” Destru gave a solemn nod, as he noticed Tom’s annoyed look. “Follow me to dinner.” Destru turned abruptly, then went into the captain’s quarters.

Tess glanced towards Tom, who motioned her forward. They followed Destru into the captain’s quarters to see a feast of food set up on the table provided. “Oh Tom,” Tess whispered, eyes wide. She had never seen so much food at once in her life.

“Make yourselves at home.” Destru motioned to a couple of chairs set up by the table, as he sat down in a plush chair. He immediately started grabbing at the food and piled it on his plate.

Tess and Tom exchanged looks before sitting at the table and helping themselves to the food. “Where did you get all this food?” Tess asked as she tried to take it all in.

“When we’re docked, I like to eat well,” Destru shrugged, a chicken leg hanging out of his mouth. “It’s rough on the seas.”

“So what’re you doing in this area?” Tom asked. He had barely eaten anything that had was being offered.

“I’m on a mission to find the ‘Last Prophecy’,” Destru leaned back in his chair, hands behind his head.

“I’ve never heard of a Last Prophecy,” Tess looked at Destru, intrigued. “What’s it about?”

“It’s a myth,” Tom muttered, as his ears went flat against his head.

Tess glanced towards Tom confused, “You’ve heard about it?”

“Heard about it?” Destru stood up abruptly, slapping the table in excitement. “He’s the keeper of it!”

“I’m missing something,” Tess looked between Destru and Tom at a loss. “Destru, what are you talking about? You’re saying werewolves are keepers of this prophecy? Aren’t you a wolf?”

“Aye, Lass, I’m a wolf, but only the Wilkolaks were keepers of the prophecy. They’re the strongest of the wolf breeds.” Destru sat back in his chair, grabbing a tankard of ale, and took a swig. “Did you know Wilkolaks are one of the few breeds that can force a transformation without a full moon?” Destru kept his eyes on Tom, who refused to meet his gaze.

“But I thought,” Tess trailed off as she looked towards Tom. She never had a lot of experience with other werewolves. Tom’s family liked to keep to themselves when they were growing up.

“It’s time to go, Tess,” Tom stood up abruptly, then walked out onto the deck of the ship, still refusing to meet Destru’s gaze.

Tess looked between Destru and Tom’s retreating form at a loss. “I-I’m sorry, Destru. We should get going. I have some herbal essences to brew.” Tess excused herself as she went for the door.

“Keep your eyes open, Little Lass,” Destru called after her, standing near his chair. “The winds of fate have been blowing hard lately, and I fear they have targeted the two of you.”

Tess glanced behind herself, to see Destru’s concerned face, then ran off the ship to chase after Tom.