Status: Active ♥

My Salvation

4

It was nearly an hour before the group left and Dean started the engine, following the truck that the group entered. Sat in the back seat, Taylor watched as the truck turned down a dirt road and disappeared among some trees.

“It’ll be too obvious if we follow in the Impala, we’ll have to go the rest on foot,” Dean said, earning nods of agreement from both Taylor and Sam.

The terrain through the woods was harsh, but they pushed forwards and finally reached a ridge that looked out over a small farm. Taylor crouched down, scanning the buildings in front of her and nudging Dean’s arm as movement in the barn caught her attention.

“There’s movement in the barn at the back of the house,” Taylor stated.

“Okay, we should clear the house and that other building first,” Sam suggested as they all checked their guns, “The last thing we need is any surprises.”

“I’ll take the smaller building,” Taylor added, following the brothers down the steep incline and breaking away to check out the other building.

Uneasiness stirred in her chest as she moved towards the wooden building, taking in the silence and grimacing as the door creaked. It didn’t take her long to clear the rooms, finding them all empty and joining the others back outside.

“The house is clear, but definitely used,” Sam commented, keeping his gun at the ready and his voice low.

“I don’t think anyone has been in that building for a while,” Taylor added.

As a group they approached the barn, splitting up to cover both exits and slipping inside. From her position behind a stack of old crates, Taylor could see Dean on the opposite side of the barn and counted five people in all.

“I think we’ll be good for a couple more weeks,” one of the men was saying as the group sat around him, “The young waitress at the diner would make an amazing addition to the pack.”

“Is that a smart move after what happened last time?” another man added, causing the first man to growl deep in his throat, “I’m just saying.”

With a shake of his head, Dean motioned for her to retreat and Taylor carefully backed out. She had just stepped over the threshold, when movement behind her made her freeze and she slowly turned to find herself face to face with a very angry-looking man.

“You’re trespassing,” he growled, lunging forward and gasping as Taylor rammed her hunting knife into his gut without hesitation.

“Taylor... duck,” Dean shouted out of nowhere, causing Taylor to drop into a crouch as he raised his gun and fired two shots.

Silence suddenly fell over the farm and Taylor stood, moving to stand behind Dean. It wasn’t the first close call that she’d experienced, but it never got easier to handle and her hands shook uncontrollably.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Reading ♥