The Princess and the Bootlegger

Fifteen

Celine was always plagued by worry about their situation, but she couldn’t complain about being stuck in the hotel until they got an all clear from Emile. Despite her sultry persona as Christophe’s lounge singer, she had never done much actual dating. She supposed she was a little sheltered from her fairytale turned tragic upbringing; and guys at the lounge never did much more than flirt in case they did something to piss off Christophe. She could politely deflect their advances, or run them off if they got too fresh.

With Kade, she just flirted back and it was fun. She felt free to be herself around him, instead of keeping up her facade of regal aloofness to hide her shy tendencies and secret soft spot for humans. Obviously, that wasn’t a problem for Kade. Currently she was curled up on the bed, reading a book. Kade was next to her, almost asleep.

“Do you really like the earring?” he asked suddenly. Celine glanced over at him.

“It makes you look like a dashing pirate,” she assured him.

“Dashing.” He made a sound between a snort and a laugh. “No one’s ever called me that before. Never thought I’d hear it from you, after you threw that drink in my face that one time.”

Celine grimaced. “Sorry about that.”

“I deserved it.”

“You know, for a long time I assumed you weren’t really attracted to me and you just said flirty things to tease me.”

Kade opened his eyes to give her a disbelieving look. “Seriously? Have you ever seen yourself?”

“I thought you just wanted to antagonize me,” Celine laughed. “I told you, I know a lot of humans don’t like us monsters.”

“Okay, well, first of all, you are the furthest thing from a monster.” Kade sat up, leaning against the pillows. “Second of all, I remember the first time I actually saw you at the lounge, back when Christophe was finally actually letting me inside. You came out onto the stage and I forgot my own name for a full minute.”

“Oh, stop it.” Celine rolled her eyes, but she smiled. “You’ve proven you’re capable of being charming, why did you always act so…”

“Rude and sleazy?” He grinned. “I was the scuzzy human criminal, and you were the beautiful dhampir princess. It’s not like I actually thought I had a chance. I didn’t know I was dashing at the time.”

“Very dashing,” Celine confirmed. She set her book aside and scooted closer. “And don’t forget rakish, and charming.” She leaned on his shoulder, peering up through her lashes. “And funny, and sweet, and a heroic ferris wheel rescuer.”

Kade’s ears turned red and he got a slightly dopey look on his face. Celine giggled.

“Is the ever suave Kade Rosier actually blushing?” she teased. “I guess we can add ‘adorable when flustered’ to the list.”

She squeaked when he caught her face in his hands and kissed her.

“Remember when you thought I was with Christophe?” Celine smirked. “You had really bad judgment about what kind of guy I’d go for.”

“The guy seems obsessed with you, I figured I’d ask,” Kade replied. “If vampires can have aneurysms he might have one if you don’t show up soon.”

“I do hope we can figure this all out soon,” Celine sighed. “I kind of miss my own room.”

“I’ve learned to enjoy this one,” Kade said. She nuzzled her nose against his.

“Well you know, my bed at home isn’t as big as this one but it’s still pretty comfortable.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Are you suggesting I, the rakish pirate, move into the castle with the princess?”

Celine shrugged. “If you want to, when this is over. If we’re both still alive. Maybe find a room to let for Mrs. Redfoot and her squirrel.”

Kade laughed, and Celine was surprised when the room telephone rang. She swung around off the bed and answered.

“Hello?”

“Is the shipment ready?” Emile’s voice came over the line and Celine sat up straighter. She knew he was talking to her in a place he was worried about being overheard. No doubt he was calling from The Rose and Raven.

“You have news?” she asked.

“Fine, I’ll pick it up this afternoon then.”

“Where do you want to meet?”

“I’ll come to you. Two hours.”

“Be careful, Emile.”

She hung up the phone and Kade looked at her questioningly.

“I’ve been giving poor Jinxie a break, after making him fly all around town so much. Emile must have learned something useful and it can’t wait. He wants to meet in two hours to tell us what he found out. Maybe we can finally catch a break.”

She was restless with nervous energy as they waited for Emile to show up. Kade stood and interrupted her pacing, pulling her close to kiss her forehead.

“It’s going to be okay,” he said. Celine began to get dangerously close to panic when nearly three hours had passed with no sign of Emile. She was about to suggest they go looking for him when she heard someone scream outside. She ran to the window and peered out, seeing a crowd begin to form around an alley across from the hotel. She exchanged a look with Kade. Jinxie had woken from his nap and perched on her shoulder as they went outside to see what had happened. He fluttered ahead as Celine began to push through the throng of people.

He flew back so fast he almost crashed into her face.

“Celine, I don’t think you should look,” he said. His tiny bat face looked almost human with concern. But Celine pushed a fairy out of her way and couldn’t stop the scream that tore out of her.

Emile was lying on the ground at the mouth of the alley, his eyes staring lifelessly upward. His throat had been slashed to the bone, and a hole punched almost clean through his chest. Celine collapsed to her knees beside him, hands hovering over the wound as if she could will it closed and bring him back to life. Sobs racked her body as she clung to his hand. She remembered all the times Emile had let her ride on his back, pretending he was her trusty horse. When he’d taught her to ride a bike, and helped her hone her dhampir abilities. He had been there for her her entire life, and now he’s tried to be there for her again and someone killed him for it. Just like they had killed her mother for protecting her dhampir daughter.

“Celine, we have to go before city watch comes to take him,” Jinxie squeaked sadly in her ear. She was dimly aware that Kade had knelt beside her, his hands on her shoulders.

“I can’t leave him here like this,” Celine whispered brokenly.

“You can’t find who did this if you’re brought in to answer questions and the wolves find out.” Jinxie nuzzled against her cheek, trying to wipe her tears with his little wings. “You have to go, Cece.”

Celine reached out a trembling hand and closed Emile’s eyes. “I’m sorry,” she murmured. “I love you.”

Kade had to help her to her feet and she leaned heavily on him as he led her away from the alley.

“Celine,” he said. “I’m so sorry.”

“He was coming to tell me something. Someone is on to us, and they knew Emile was coming. This was a warning. He’s dead because he was helping me.”

Kade had her practically crushed to his chest, holding her upright as she shook violently. She realized with a sharp jolt of terror that this meant the killer knew more about them than they did about him. He could come for Kade next, and leave his body in a ditch for her to find. The thought made her feel like she’d been gutted. She drew back.

“Kade, you have to go,” she said.

“What? Go where?”

“Anywhere. You just have to run, get as far away from here as possible.”

“What are you talking about?”

“They know we’re looking for them. You have to leave Stark.”

“Without you?” he said dully.

“I have to talk to Christophe. This is clearly beyond anything I can handle. I thought I could fix it, but now Emile is dead. I have to get Christophe’s help, and you have to leave. Please, Kade, you have to get away from here. Away from all of this. It’s not safe.” She felt like she was going to pass out; it was hard to breathe through her tears and her panic.

“And what are you going to do?” Kade asked, so quietly she could barely hear him.

“I’m going to talk to Christophe. Then I’m going to find whoever did this to Emile. And I’m going to make sure they never hurt anyone else.”