The Princess and the Bootlegger

Nineteen

Kade’s healing appeared to speed up even more over the next three days, while Celine took Wes’s advice and read up on “mutts.” She also enlisted Tillie’s expertise. She was a pure wolf but since she didn’t share Wes’s disdain for Kade or his current condition, she was more willing to help.

“Okay, I’ve told you all I know about how the change is going to work. Now please clarify something for me. You went on the run from the MacIntosh pack, holed up in the fairy district with Kade, the shifty human. Christophe tried to have you kidnapped, Kade handed himself to the wolves to protect you, but you found out Christophe was the killer. Then you and Wes MacIntosh killed him, you and Kade are off the hook, but now he’s a wolf and is living in your apartment?”

“Yes, that about sums it up. And speaking of which, I should be getting home to check on him.”

Tillie leaned forward and cocked her head, some of her bobbed blonde hair falling across her face. “One last thing. So, you and Kade. You’re…what, mates now?”

“Mates?” Celine scrunched her eyebrows.

“Well that’s wolf lingo for it, but you know what I mean. You’re together?”

“If he still wants to be once he’s recovered.”

Tillie snorted. “Why wouldn’t he want to be? He’s never going to find anyone better than you. Unless he’s a complete dunce he knows that.”

Celine smiled. “Thanks, Til.”

“Oh, but before you go! I have to tell you something. I’m the official new owner of the Rose and Raven.” Her eyes shone.

“That’s amazing!” Celine gasped.

“City Watch went to Christophe’s warehouse after everything went down. Turns out he’d been messing around with some powerful things, adjusting dosages to create different degrees of potency. He had some fairies and a couple witches in on the operation too; they all cracked pretty fast and explained the whole thing. He was using more diluted doses to get people hooked on this stuff with Argonian Mushroom extract. Wolves and vamps were especially affected, and when they consumed higher quantities they went rabid. Strength and speed tripled, virtually impervious to pain. But they had no control over themselves. The vamps were especially dangerous, because they needed more blood than normal with the drugs in their system and would attack anything for it. Christophe had the fairies and witches working on a sort of cure to counteract the effects. He was going to make a fortune selling the drugs and getting everyone hooked, and on selling the cure to return them to normal.”

Celine shook her head, disgusted. “I can’t believe I never realized how low he would sink. He broke my arm at the Wolf Den, for defending Kade.”

Tillie shook her head. “He was nuts,” she agreed. “Also he was losing it while you were gone. I’d never seen him out of control like that. But, I’m in charge now, since I’m the one who knows the most about how to run this place. And I would like to formally extend an offer to you and Kade to return to your former jobs. Kade can still sell here, and I won’t ask for anything extreme. Just the lightweight stuff. And you can still be my official singer. Once you guys are ready, of course.”

Celine hugged her. “You are the best and I love you.”

“Yeah, I know.” Tillie grinned. “Now go tend to your wounded prince. Maybe give him some nice Love Bite for his trouble.”

Celine scowled and Tillie laughed as her ears turned pink. She returned home to find Kade finally able to get up and move around on his own. His movements were still a little stiff and he was going to limp for a few more days.

“Tillie said that you’ll be able to try shifting after you’re fully healed,” Celine announced. “The transformation will be complete by then and your body will be strong enough for it.”

“I don’t wanna shift,” Kade mumbled. “I don’t wanna be fuzzy and walk around on all fours.”

“You have to. If you try to suppress it you’ll make yourself sick and have less control over it. When the full moon rises, you won’t be able to resist the change. Besides, it won’t be so bad. You’ll be stronger, and heal faster next time someone punches you in the face.”

Kade flopped across the bed. “I thought being a pathetic human was bad enough. Now I’m a scruffy dog. Will I be allowed on the furniture anymore? Are you still gonna like me when I have a tail and howl at the moon? ”

Celine went and sat next to him, peering down at his mopey face. “You’re still my Kade whether you’re a human or a wolf,” she said. His glum expression softened.

“Your Kade,” he repeated. Celine’s cheeks grew warm.

“If you want to be,” she added.

“So I didn’t hallucinate you telling Christophe that you…”

“Love you?” Celine offered. “No, you didn’t hallucinate. I said it, and I meant it.”

“Wow. Really?”

“Yes, Kade.” Celine rolled her eyes. He sat up slowly.

“Wow,” he said again. “Of course I want to be your Kade. It’s not even an option, really. You’re way too good for me but I love you. You have ruined me for anyone else.”

Celine laughed softly. “My offer still stands for you to stay here with me, you know. I’m pretty sure the bed will get awfully lonely if you were gone.”

“Well, we can’t have you being lonely.” Kade leaned over to kiss her. “I can keep you all the company you want in bed.”

“Is that so?” Celine laughed. “How selfless of you.” She gently pushed him back, lying down and snuggling beside him. He rolled onto his side so they were facing each other. She told him all about what Tillie had told her; about Christophe’s schemes and being the new owner of the club.

“She said she’ll still work with you if you want, and she won’t ask for any hard drugs from you. No more scary mushroom orders. And I can keep singing. I’ll need a new pianist though,” she sighed. “Now that Emile…”

Kade brushed his fingers gently across her face. “I am really sorry, Celine. I know how much he meant to you.”

“He’d been playing piano for me since I was little. It’ll take a lot of getting used to, singing with a stranger.”

Once Kade was fully healed, Celine made her grand return to the stage. Kade had told her she didn’t have to stay home every day with him, but she had insisted on keeping an eye on him till he was better.

“You’re a good nurse,” he told her as they walked to the club.

“I have a lot of incentive to be, with such a dashing patient,” she said, bumping his shoulder. He seemed almost nervous as she had him sit in the VIP area up front, just like she’d said he could. She left him in Tillie’s care and went to her dressing room to put the final touches on her outfit. Despite him being vile, she had never minded Christophe’s flair for the dramatic when it came to her performances. And as this was her first time back on stage in a few weeks, she had opted for a glamorous red dress. When she came out onto stage she received the most enthusiastic welcome she’d ever gotten. Jinxie hasn’t been kidding; they must really not have liked poor Korin. Celine had a temporary piano player replacing Emile, but Celine was so happy to be back that she managed to suppress her nerves.

When her first set was done she walked out by the bar and Kade came sauntering up to her, a toothpick in his mouth.

“Hey, garlic,” he said teasingly.

“Hey, kibbles,” she replied. He laughed so hard he almost dropped the toothpick.

“Is that the best line you could come up with tonight, Mr. Rosier?” she asked, poking him lightly in the ribs.

“Give me a break, it’s a wonder my brain works at all right now. You need to warn a guy before you just walk out in a dress like that.”

“Did you forget your own name again?”

“My name, what year it is, how to breathe.”

“Stop it,” Celine laughed. “You’re exaggerating and it’s going to make me blush.”

“He almost dropped his drink,” Jinxie said, landing on the bar beside her. “After he choked on it.”

“Thanks, Jinx,” Kade muttered. Celine scooped Jinxie into her palm and leaned up to kiss Kade’s cheek, not caring about the few curious and bewildered glances they received. Tillie spotted her from behind the bar and winked.

“Careful, people are going to think you like me or something,” Kade jokingly warned her. Celine rested her head on his shoulder.

“Good,” she said.