The Misadventures of Kade and Celine

twelve

Kade couldn't lie. The Mutts were starting to grow on him a little bit. Now that they got through the dinner party, they seemed somewhat more comfortable around Kade and Celine. Maybe they still idolized Kade a little too much, but it wasn't in an awkward way anymore. Bobby even stopped by the house again to sell them a nice new vacuum cleaner.

The full moon, however, was rapidly approaching. Kade knew he had to deal with it once a month, but it always seemed to sneak up on him anyways. The day of, he sat in an armchair with his face in his hands as Celine gently stroked his hair and back in an attempt to soothe him.

"What about the other boys?" Celine asked him. "Maybe it would be easier if you were all together."

"I asked," Kade admitted. "Apparently they lock themselves in isolated rooms until it's over."

"You asked?"

"Wipe that smug grin off your face," Kade said. "I was only curious."

"I'm glad you have friends, even if you refuse to admit it."

When night fell, Kade found himself a furry beast again. He startled himself any time he walked past a mirror and saw such a massive wolf in the house, only to realize it was just him. Celine sat on the floor with him by the fireplace, sipping on some tea with her free hand gently stroking his fur. Kade didn't love the idea of being petted, but it did feel nice. He moved his large head to rest in her lap and she smiled down at him, giving him a peck on the nose.

"How are you feeling?" she asked softly. "Nauseous?"

Kade could hardly respond, but he made a noise that sounded like a cross between a whine and a snort. The nausea never got easier. He could get by without vomiting, but he still felt lightheaded.

"Maybe you should go for a walk," Celine suggested.

Kade let out a low growl.

"I don't mean on a leash," she said, rolling her eyes. "Just go out in the trees and hedges for a bit. Around the neighborhood. No one has to see you and you can get some fresh air."

He huffed, but she was probably right. She had to open the yard door to let him out, but he pushed her back inside with his snout before she followed. She seemed a little unsure, but nodded.

"Don't let the elves see you," she said. "They're already plenty frustrated with us."

The elves. Kade couldn't help the low growl that bubbled up at the thought of those puffed up peacocks. He easily hopped the back fence to disappear into the thick trees and shrubbery behind the house. It wasn't much compared to a forest, but it was the best they could find in such an urban area.

He spent most of the night wandering and resisting the ridiculous urge to howl at the moon. He could hear some other howls in the distance, but he supposed it could be anyone. Full-blooded werewolves, even. Sometimes he wondered if it would have been better to ask the MacIntosh family to bite him and turn him into a full werewolf. He would have less control over his impulses, but at least he would be respected at the top of the food chain. Not that they would have ever given him a bite. It was a high honor and an almost ceremonial gesture when someone was chosen to join the family.

He was lost in thought and wasn't exactly looking where he was going when he felt the ground give out under one of his paws. Suddenly a sharp, jagged jaw clamped shut on his back leg. He yelped and whined in pain, looking back at the animal trap he had been caught in. Who the hell was setting traps in a residential neighborhood? Especially a trap made for large animals.

He struggled to free himself, but it wasn't until the sun began to rise and he turned back that he was able to grab the trap and pry it open enough to get his leg out. He was stuck out in the trees with his torn and ragged clothes, looking a mess. Now his leg was bleeding, too. Thankfully it didn't have the force to sever his leg or break a bone, but it certainly didn't feel good.

Celine must have been worried sick with him out all night. He limped his way back home, staying out of sight as much as he could. He wasn't going to give satisfaction to whoever had placed the trap. Jinxie found him before anyone else did, fluttering around his head.

"What happened?!" Jinxie exclaimed. "You okay?!"

"Oh sure," Kade said sarcastically. "I just wanted to spice my evening up a bit."

He dragged himself through the back door and flopped on the couch in exhaustion. Normally he would care more about getting Celine's nice couch dirty with his filthy clothes, but he was starting to feel a bit lightheaded. Celine had been getting ready for the day upstairs, but as soon as she saw Kade there she gasped and ran over to him.

"Where have you been all night?" she asked, brushing his hair out of his face.

"Stuck behind the O'Connell's house," he grumbled. "Can you get me some water, please?"

She rushed to get him a glass, as well as a second bowl of water and washcloth. He downed the water while she started to clean up the cuts on his leg.

"Animal trap," he said dully. "It's fine, it's healing already. It'll be gone by the end of the day."

"It's not fine," she argued. "Animal traps in a residential neighborhood are not normal."

"Maybe it is," Kade shrugged. "Maybe they've got bobcats or something."

"Or a shapeshifter."

"Celine," Kade said, sitting up to look at her. "You're the one who said we should stop bothering the elves. I'll heal from this. Let's just let it go."

"We're giving them the power," she said grudgingly.

"I just... can't help but think," Kade sighed. "Nevermind. It's probably not it."

"Tell me."

"It's just that Bobby, Leroy, and Bayley are all Mutt- erm, shifters," Kade said. "And I invited them here. You don't think that... maybe it was taken the wrong way?"

"You mean like a threat?" she frowned. "But we stayed out of their way. All Bobby did was sell us a vacuum."

"I don't think it takes much to threaten them," Kade said. "It just doesn't seem like they would set an animal trap out exclusively for me. They might have concerns about more than one large animal wandering their precious streets of gold."

Celine shook her head.

"It's not fair," she said.

"It's not," Kade agreed. "We talked about it already, remember? Things aren't fair for us, but we're going to figure it out. Together."

He gave her a reassuring smile and she did her best to return it, but he could tell she was still a bit worried.

"Do you want me to stay home with you?" she asked.

"No," he said. "It's okay, go sing tonight. Maybe Lewis doesn't quite have my charms, but he's not so bad at the piano."

"I'll miss your charms," she sighed. "Don't walk on that leg, alright? Just keep it raised until it heals. And drink lots of water. And Kade?"

"Yes, ma'am?"

"Don't go after the elves," she warned. "Keep that temper in check."

"Fine."

"I'm being serious."

"Fine."