The Misadventures of Kade and Celine

thirteen

Ordinarily Celine’s shows at the Rose and Raven had a calming effect on her, but tonight she was anxious for it to be over so she could go home and check on Kade. She was shrugging into her coat to leave after her second set, when a familiar drawling voice called her name from the bar. She whipped her head around to see none other than Lawson Styx lounging there, sipping a glass of scotch. Her hackles raised at the sight of him, especially seeing him here. He attracted a few stares; elves weren’t a common sight in the Rose and Raven and the dim, smoky lighting somehow made him look more unearthly. But Celine felt only a mild flash of hatred as he smiled at her.

“What are you doing here?” she demanded.

“I had heard good things about your singing,” he said. “Since we are such good neighbors now, I thought I’d come by and see for myself what the fuss was all about. Though I’m surprised to see you without your fiancé yet again.”

“No you're not.”

He cocked his head, feigning confusion. “I would have assumed he would attend your shows, show his support.”

Disgusted, Celine shook her head and stalked past him. She moved rapidly toward the door, eager to be home. She was annoyed when Lawson followed and fell in step next to her.

“Have I offended you somehow, Miss Bellerose? I was under the impression that we had become friends.”

Celine pinned him with a glare. “Friends, are we? You have an odd way of showing friendship, Mr. Styx, between sending weapons in your gift baskets and suddenly leaving dangerous traps around the neighborhood.“

“We found that we have quite a vermin problem this year. The traps are necessary.”

“Oh, I’d say we have a vermin problem in the neighborhood alright,” Celine said coldly. “I’ve seen a few extra large, particularly nasty rats running around.”

Lawson gave a low laugh, though he didn’t sound amused. “Is that so? It seems we have quite the infestation problem, indeed.”

“This has been a lovely chat and all, but I need to get home.” Celine marched ahead, using the full momentum of her dhampir speed to put as much distance between them as fast as she could. She came through the front door like a quiet breeze, finally halting as she came into the living room. Kade was lying on the couch, an arm draped over his face. He lifted it slightly to look at her as he realized she was back.

“Are you home early?” he asked.

“Not technically. I ran home.” She shrugged, walking over to check on his leg.

“You didn’t have to rush home for me.”

“I’m a dhampir, I was made to move fast,” she pointed out. “Besides, I was worried about you. Your leg looks better; but I’ll get you something for the nausea. I don’t think you should walk on it for another hour or so.”

“You’ve already been up all night, you should go to bed and get some rest.”

“I’m not tired.” Celine rummaged in the kitchen for some special draught she’d bought last time she went shopping in the fairy district that was supposed to help ease nausea and migraines. She mixed some into a mug of tea and carried it to Kade.

“Hopefully this will help you feel better faster,” she said. He sat up and she sat beside him.

“You're going to wrinkle your nice dress,” Kade said, nursing his tea. Celine shook her head.

“I don’t really care about the dress.”

“Celine, are you okay?”

“I’m just tired of bad things happening to you.”

Kade chuckled quietly. “I guess the universe felt it had to balance things out, what with the one really great thing that happened to me.”

When Celine just continued to look morose, he reached over and took her hand. “Hey, come on. I know it’s not great but my leg is pretty much all better now.”

Celine squeezed his hand. “I have to take care of something, then I promise I’ll be right back.”

“Where are you going?” Kade frowned.

“I’ll be right back,” she repeated. She remembered Kade saying he’d been caught in the trap behind the O’Connell’s house. She flitted around the wooded area there, until she found the trap. She yanked at the metal until it snapped in half.

“Vermin,” she huffed. “I should go out and catch a thousand voles and release them up there in their ugly mansion. Or maybe a bunch of skunks. Or fifty wasp nests.”

She muttered to herself until she got home again, feeling a little pacified now that she’d imagined about twenty different ways to trash the Styx mansion. Kade was on the verge of drifting off when she walked in; the nausea draught could make you drowsy.

“You should go up to bed,” she said, nudging him gently. “It’ll be more comfortable than the couch.”

“Mmmph,” was all she got for a reply. Sighing, she just pulled him over onto his side and tried to arrange him better on the couch. She went up to grab an extra blanket and draped it over him. She curled up on the chair opposite the couch. She didn’t remember falling asleep but Kade roused her at some point and she lifted her head groggily.

“That chair doesn’t look very comfortable for sleeping,” Kade said. Celine sat up, trying to stretch the kink out of her back.

“I didn’t mean to fall asleep,” she said. “I thought I told you not to walk on the leg for another hour.”

“It’s late afternoon,” Kade said. “My leg has been better for hours.”

He lifted her off the chair and set her on the couch, undoing the pins in her now messy hair. She leaned against him as he ran his fingers through her hair.

“I should freshen up,” she said. “I probably look like a raccoon with my makeup all smudged.”

“A very pretty raccoon,” Kade replied. “You could make it a new trend.”

Celine snorted, twisting around to face him. She kissed his cheek and then went to change out of the rumpled black dress and scrub her makeup off. She padded back downstairs and fussed over Kade, asking if he wanted more tea or something to eat, until he pulled her onto the couch, making her yelp.

“Can just sitting here with you be an option?” he asked. Celine cracked a smile.

“Yeah, I think I can manage that.” She leaned forward to kiss him. He shifted to pull her closer until a knock sounded at the door. He drew back with a frustrated huff and Celine giggled as he stood to answer the door. Celine stayed on the couch and smoothed herself out, though she tensed when Kade opened the door and went rigid.

“Uh… hello?” he said.

“You must be the…man,” replied a deep voice from the porch. Celine sat up with a gasp.

“I…and who… are you?” Kade asked, looking a bit pale. Celine sprang up and raced to the door, slipping past Kade to find a familiar figure standing there.

“Daddy!” she exclaimed. “I can’t believe you’re here!” She leaned up to kiss the tall, dark haired vampire on the cheek.

“Daddy?” Kade echoed faintly.

“Kade, this is my father; Silas Cowan. Daddy, this is Kade. My fiancé.”

“It’s nice to meet you. Uh, Sir,” Kade said, trying to inconspicuously fix his rumpled appearance. Silas was a tall man, the red of his vampire eyes so dark it looked closer to black. He turned a stony gaze away from Kade, and his face softened a bit when he addressed Celine.

“Darling,” he said. “I hope you don’t mind my stopping by. I wanted to surprise you.”

“I’m so happy to see you. You must have gotten my letter about the engagement, then?” She led him inside.

“Yes, that’s why I came. It’s been a while since I visited and I thought that I should attend the wedding.”

“You’re going to stay that long?” Celine beamed. “Do you need a place to stay? We don’t really have a great space here for a vampire’s sleeping needs, but-“

“Don’t trouble yourself, my dear. I’ve already made accommodations for myself. I just wanted to drop by and let you know I was in town. And see the house you were so excited about. It’s lovely. Your tastes remind me of your mother.”

Celine smiled, sitting next to him on the couch. Kade took the chair this time, seeming a bit nervous. Celine chatted with Silas for a while, until he mentioned that he had a gift for her.

“Oh, you didn’t have to bring me anything,” Celine protested.

“I actually have a few for you,” Silas said. “But some are wedding gifts. These are just because I’ve waited so long to come see you.”

He handed her a small box, then went back out to the porch, returning with something larger, wrapped in beautiful paper. Celine opened the small box first and gasped at the golden brooch inside. It was shaped like a rose and bedecked in rubies.

“Daddy,” she chided. “You spent too much.”

Silas waved a dismissive hand. “I’m essentially a recluse, what else am I going to spend money on?”

Celine carefully set the brooch aside and unwrapped the larger gift. Tears pricked at her eyes. It was a portrait of her and her mother. She had been about six years old at the time. She knew Silas had one just like it.

“I commissioned someone to recreate it,” he said, as though reading her mind. Which he probably had, more or less. Celine gazed at the painting for a few moments before hugging Silas.

“I love it,” she said. “Thank you.”

“I should be going soon, but I’ll come back in a few days.” He glanced at Kade, who had remained quiet while they caught up. He sat up a little straighter when Silas’s gaze landed on him.

“So, you’re the one marrying my daughter.”

“Yes. And I’m lucky to have her. Mr. Cowan. Sir.”

“Hmm. Indeed.” Silas turned back to Celine, and she gave him another quick hug before he set out. He moved soundlessly and vanished like a shadow into the night. Kade let out a long exhale once he was gone.

“Christ, Celine. You never warned me that your father is scary beyond all reason. Why is he…like that?”

Celine laughed. “He’s about fifteen hundred years old, Kade. Vampires that old have a lot of power and it’s impossible not to notice. But really, he’s not so bad.”

“Of course he’s not scary to you. You’re the precious, angelic daughter who’s too good for any man. I’m the scruffy wolf man who regularly defiles his precious, angelic daughter who’s too good for any man.”

Celine made a face. “First of all, I prefer the term ravish, since you’ve never ‘defiled’ me. Secondly, I like it when you ravish me.”

“I’m sure it would endear me to him even more to know I have corrupted you so thoroughly.”

Celine rolled her eyes. “You didn’t corrupt me. And he probably thought you were okay. I mean he didn’t try to kill you.”

“Well that’s comforting.”

“Having a scary in-law is part of the deal, Kade,” she said, amused. “But don’t worry, I promise to protect you from my dad. Now let’s go to bed.”