‹ Prequel: Peaky Wolfers

Gatsby Wolves, Vol. 4

nine

Celine took Emelie into the fairy district to shop for her dress. The little girl was wide eyed and fascinated by everything as they walked to a little seamstress shop run by a trio of pixie sisters. Celine had often paused to gaze admiringly at the beautiful dresses they made, and she supposed the upcoming anniversary and wedding were good enough reasons to justify finally buying something from them. She was nervous to perform her special song for Kade for their anniversary; if she had a pretty enough dress maybe she’d feel more confident. And she knew the pixies would be the best option to create the outfit Emelie had conjured up in her head for the wedding.

“Hello,” the teal-haired pixie chirped. “What can I do for two such pretty girls today?”

“I need to commission three dresses,” Celine said. “My daughter wants something in blue, with butterflies on it, and butterflies for her hair. We have a wedding to go to.”

“Ohh, sounds lovely. You have good taste. Lilydrop, come help the young lady pick out some fabric.”

Another pixie with bright orange hair took Emelie’s hand and led her over to a wall covered in beautiful, luxurious fabrics.

“And for you?” the pixie asked. “You need something for a wedding too?”

“Yes, and something for my anniversary. But I’m afraid I don’t have as specific an idea as my daughter.”

The pixie appraised her for a moment. “We’ll put you in blue for the wedding too,” she decided. “We’ll go a little darker in shade. Something silky, simple but elegant. Flowers instead of butterflies. And your anniversary, you said? I think we can manage that. I’m thinking…something red, perhaps. Come, let me get your measurements.”

The pixie ushered her off into a little room in the back, quickly taking Celine’s measurements while Lilydrop measured Emelie and discussed whether the little blue dress should have ruffled or lace sleeves.

“My name is Foxglove,” the pixie told Celine as she began holding up different fabrics.

“It’s very nice to meet you. You make the most lovely dresses I’ve ever seen.”

Both pixies preened a little. They finally settled on a pretty powder blue satin for Emelie and a shade closer to sapphire for Celine for the wedding dresses. Foxglove insisted on a soft, supple fabric in a sumptuous shade of ruby red for Celine’s anniversary dress and she worried that the dress would be too much, but the pixie assured her that she would make it perfect. Celine decided to trust her judgment. Dress orders placed, they shopped a bit more; Celine stopped by the gnomish candle shop to see Mr. Thistledown. She bought a candle that looked like a bat and Emelie and the old gnome seemed quite taken with each other.

“I shouldn’t be surprised that the lovely Celine would be raising such a charming daughter,” he chuckled. “The world is a brighter place with two Rosier women in it.”

“Oh, stop it you old charmer,” Celine laughed. Emelie was telling him about her special blue dress, and so Mr. Thistledown quickly carved her a little butterfly candle to take home. Celine’s last order of business was to buy some candy for Emelie, and then she had the idea to do something nice for Kade to help distract him from everything going on. She picked out a bunch of nice snacks and was tucking them away into a picnic basket when Kade arrived home in the early evening. He came into the kitchen and eyed her curiously.

“What’s all this?”

“It’s for you.”

“For me?”

“Emelie is having a super fun sleepover with Delia and Aunt Tillie, and I have a surprise for you. Come on, we’re going for a little walk.”

She tucked a blanket into the basket with the food, then ushered a surprised Kade out of the house and led him into the woods.

“So what’s this for?” Kade asked. “This isn’t some special occasion I forgot about, is it?”

“I just thought you might enjoy a quiet evening, just the two of us.”

“I guess we haven’t had one of those in a while. But where are you taking me?”

“You’ll see. I promise, you’ll like it.”

“I like anywhere I go with you.”

Celine bumped his shoulder. “Flatterer.”

She led him to the little fairy pool she’d found the same day she’d rescued Illaria. A carpet of brightly colored flowers had since bloomed around it and the water glowed faintly now that the sun had gone down.

“Wow,” Kade remarked. “How’d you find this place?”

“All my exploring paid off.” Celine laid out the blanket and started rummaging in her basket.

“So you just wander in the woods, finding fairy pools and ringing home strange creatures?” Kade looked amused as he sat beside her.

“Everyone needs a hobby,” Celine grinned. She cuddled against Kade’s side while they snacked on the food she’d brought and talked about nothing in particular. She kept the conversation far away from MacIntosh and the feral shifters. Fireflies had come out and begun to flit lazily around the little clearing.

“You say I spoil you,” Kade remarked. “But I have to say, I’m feeling quite wooed right now.”

Celine laughed, flicking a grape at him. “I’m glad you’re feeling properly romanced.”

He caught the grape easily, then leaned forward and kissed her. Celine stood and wandered amid the fireflies, pausing next to the fairy pool and admiring the water. Kade came up next to her and tucked a little yellow and pink flower behind her ear. Celine felt butterflies in her stomach.

“Why are you smiling so much?” Kade asked.

“You,” she replied. Then she got an impish look in her eyes. “And this.”

She shoved Kade into the pool, laughing when he surfaced, spluttering and his hair plastered to his forehead.

“Celine,” he complained. “Now I’m gonna have to walk home in wet clothes and-“ He broke off to gawk at her as Celine shimmied out of her dress, laying it neatly on the ground before hopping into the pool. The water was pleasantly warm and felt a little like bobbing in a giant glass of champagne.

“What?” she asked, at Kade’s bewildered look. She gave him a cheeky smile. “Some of us don’t go for late night swims with all our clothes on, Kade.”

He rolled his eyes and Celine giggled, splashing him in the face.