Pirates Again

thirteen

“So… shipping empire, huh? That’s really interesting.”

Since finding out just how highborn Katerina was, he wasn’t sure how to talk to her. Had he been disrespectful to her this entire time? She seemed a little annoyed with him now, but maybe that was because he was being so awkward while they scrubbed stains out of the deck.

“Rhys, it’s just me. It’s Katerina. You don’t have to kiss my feet.”

“I know,” he sighed. “I guess I wish I was better company for you to be keeping.”

“First of all,” she said. “You are good company. Kind, considerate company. Second, even if you were a dirty slob with no personality, you’d still be better company than anyone on this ship.”

“Really? I thought you were starting to like Harry, but sure.”

She rolled her eyes and tossed a crumpled cleaning rag at his head. He laughed and caught it out of the air, but the lighthearted moment was interrupted when Notley and Harry showed up. Katerina let out a deep exhale, avoiding eye contact with them and pretending to be focused on a stain in the deck.

“Guess what?“ Notley said with mock enthusiasm. “You two little birds finally have a job. An important job. Isn’t that exciting?”

Harry grumbled a bit behind Notley. “I still think I could do this myself.”

“No,” Notley scowled, glaring at Harry. “We talked about this. No one likes you.”

“But I have the perfect outfit-“

“Harry. Shut. Up.”

Rhys exchanged an amused look with Katerina, and she had to look down to hide the smile creeping up on her face. The smile fell when Notley turned his attention back to the two of them.

“As I was saying,” he said, “Learning about our dear Katerina’s identity got me thinking. With a name like that, she could easily waltz into places that we would have to use lots of resources to break into.”

“What are you talking about?” she asked in a huff.

“Are you familiar with Amon Hawthorne?” he asked. “I believe he’s a dear friend of your father.”

“Of course.”

“Soon we’ll be docking in Calcaster,” he said. “Lord Hawthorne has a vacation home up in the Calcaster Mountains, where he hosts an art and antique showing. Really, it’s just an opportunity to show off his fancy house and fancy things in a snowy, poetic setting. Absolutely ridiculous.”

“Lord Hawthorne makes hefty donations to schools for the arts and humanities,” Katerina informed him.

“You say that like I care,” Notley scoffed. “Anyways, one antique in particular is necessary for our little expedition, but Hawthorne likely has it as another stupid attraction at his party. The Amulet of Camassia.”

“You’re really looking for Andas Island?” she asked.

“Who told you that?” he snapped.

“No one,” she said quickly, glancing at Rhys. “I just heard it on the wind.”

“It doesn’t matter,” he said. “You’re going to attend this party and retrieve the amulet. You’ll know it when you see it. It’s gold, with a floral blue gemstone in the middle. You’ll have fun. Harry picked out a nice little dress for you to wear, and Rhys gets to wear some nice livery and pretend to be your footman.”

“I don’t know how to be a footman,” Rhys frowned.

“You’re not a real footman, you idiot,” Harry sneered. “You’re too clumsy. All you’re doing is making sure Katerina can get away with the amulet and nothing goes wrong.”

“What makes you think I won’t tell Lord Hawthorne everything?” Katerina questioned.

“Because if you do, we’ll find our way back to your father before you do,” Notley said. “You won’t like what happens next.”

“Fine,” Katerina said. “But if I do this, I do it my way. You don’t get to micromanage me or Rhys. And I mean after the party, too. No more kicking us around.”

“You’re in no position to be barking orders at me,” Notley told her. “But fine, princess. Do this job for me, and I will consider your request.”

Rhys wasn’t so sure, but two days later the white capped mountains of Calcaster were just ahead. Everyone stayed aboard but Harry and a couple other crew members, who dragged Rhys and Katerina away to a local inn. Rhys was dressed up in servant’s livery, which was nicer than anything he owned despite looking ridiculous on him. One of the crew members roughly pulled a comb and pomade through Rhys’ curly hair in an attempt to slick it back and tame it.

“This is stupid,” he grumbled. “No one cares how I look.”

“Mr. Taylor cares,” the man said. “He said you need to look ‘distinguished’. Whatever the hell that means.”

Eventually Rhys was finally released to wait for Katerina outside a waiting carriage. After twenty minutes or so, she came out and Rhys felt his stomach do a flip. It was the first time he saw her in something so feminine, and it suited her. The gown was a sapphire blue with white lace trim on the skirt and sleeves. Elegant blue jewelry and hair pins matched the gown, as well as a white fur wrap over her shoulders that collected delicate snowflakes like they were part of the ensemble. She smiled at Rhys, but the smile was replaced with a scowl as Harry fussed over her dress.

“This bow is a disaster,” he grumbled. “You better hope the lighting isn’t much good in that house, or they’ll lose all respect for your wrinkled ribbons.”

“I think we’re ready,” she said, deflecting his aggression.

Harry didn’t seem too happy about it, but finally released them. Rhys opened the carriage door and held a hand to help her up. She placed a satin gloved hand in his, offering him a small smile.

“You look nice,” he said softly.

“Thank you.”

Rhys helped her sit and closed the door, then sat on the bench outside beside the driver. He didn’t realize he had been holding his breath.