Pirates Again

fifteen

There was no reason for Rhys to be as irritated as he was when he saw Katerina being swept away and twirled around the ballroom in her beautiful gown, chatting and laughing with a handful of handsome and polished men. It was like they were in a shark tank, and she was the fresh tuna. Meanwhile, Rhys was the grub at the bottom of the ocean that was lucky not to be eaten by a slow moving starfish.

He didn't know why he felt so jealous. It's not like he belonged anywhere in Katerina's world. She associated him because she had no other choice. These were the real men meant to be in her life. He didn't mind the brief moment he had been able to hold her, though.

The nice thing about this job was that they were able to stay in the inn for the rest of the night, without Harry or Notley looming over them. It had been weeks since Rhys slept in a real bed, even if it was a lumpy and scratchy one. He was still passed out and snoring when a knock on the door stirred him awake. He practically fell out of bed, scrambling to pull a shirt over his head and button it up halfway before the knocking came again. Rhys rolled his eyes. It was probably Harry again.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm coming."

He opened the door, but was surprised to see Katerina standing there. She was back to her sailing clothes with her hair tied back and the cloak Rhys had gotten her. She was smiling, but her expression suddenly turned to shock and she turned beet red. Rhys suddenly remembered his shirt was only halfway buttoned, and he quickly fumbled to button the rest.

"Sorry," he said. "I thought you were Harry."

"Harry checked up on me this morning to take the dress and the amulet," she told him, looking down at her feet until her face went to the normal color. "It seemed like you were sleeping well, so I told him you went to get the livery brushed before you returned it. I could hear you snoring through the wall."

"I'm sorry," he said with an embarrassed grimace. "I do that when I'm really tired."

"It's okay," she said. "I'm used to it. Cedric snores, too. So does Daddy. Anyways, Harry believed me, but I think he was mostly just excited to be the one who gives Notley the amulet. He gave us another shopping list to take care of before coming back on board."

"What does it mean to 'brush' the livery?"

"I'll explain it to you," she said with a laugh.

It was a pretty smooth day, though they didn't have much time to mess around. They'd have to be back on the ship before anyone had to come looking for them. By the time they had everything crossed off the list, it was early evening. Stores were starting to close, and the seedier sorts were starting to come out. As Rhys and Katerina walked down an empty street, a hooded figure stepped out in front of them. Rhys furrowed his bow, not recognizing the man from the crew.

"There's a toll to pass through this road," the man said. "Give me fifty now, and you won't regret it later."

"We don't have any money," Rhys told him. "If it bothers you so much, we'll take a different route."

"That's not how it works," the man said with a sinister grin. "But I do accept other forms of payment. Give me twenty minutes with little lady over there and we'll call it a deal."

Rhys sort of stepped in front of Katerina, who was stunned speechless.

"Please don't disrespect her like that," Rhys said calmly. "This doesn't have to be a problem. Let us on our way, and we won't trouble you anymore."

"So you want to negotiate," he smirked. "Big guy like you, a peacemaker? What a waste."

He attempted to shove past Rhys and grab Katerina's arm, but didn't seem to count on Rhys grabbing him by the arm and slamming him so hard against the wall, there was a cracking sound in his shoulder.

"I gave you negotiation as an option," Rhys warned. "I was trying to be nice. Do you want to make a deal, or do I need to come up with another offer?"

"Go," he winced. "Get the hell out of here."

Rhys slammed him back against the wall once more before letting go and letting the man slump to the ground in pain. He put a hand on Katerina's shoulder, guiding her away before they attracted more of the wrong attention. She looked up at him with wide eyes and he frowned.

"Sorry, that was a bad look on me," he said a bit shamefully.

"No," she said. "I've just never seen that side of you. But I appreciate you defending me."

"It's something I learned, living on the streets," he admitted. "It's necessary sometimes, when words don't cut it."

"You could have snapped that guy in half," she said. "You'd rather have talked it out?"

"Every time," he said. "I already look like a brute, I don't need to act like one too."

"I don't think you look like a brute," she said. "You have a kind face."

He looked back at her and she blushed, looking down at her feet again.

When they returned to the ship, no one noticed them. There was so much commotion on board already. Harry was following Notley around, who looked wild eyed and panicked in contrast to his usual cool and collected way. He held the amulet in his hand, and had connected it to some other golden artifact that looked like another amulet, this one with a green gem. When connected the two glowed, and Notley was doubled over.

He ripped the two amulets apart, holding one in each hand and standing up straight. He was panting heavily, but whatever pain he was feeling was gone. With wide eyes, he grabbed Harry by the shoulder and shook the stunned man.

"It makes sense," he said. "It all makes sense. Taylor, you flamboyant idiot, I can see everything. The rest of our route. I can see it all in my mind."

"Captain," Harry said quietly, looking at the rest of the crew in a panic. "Let's discuss this in your quarters. Not out here, in front of everyone."

Notley looked at the rest of the crew like he just noticed them there, then cleared his throat and stood up straight. He smoothed his hair back with a hand, and was back to his usual intimidating and stern demeanor.

"Right," he said. "Why don't you join me for some tea, Mr. Taylor?"

They quietly walked to the Captain's quarters, and everyone else went back to whatever they were doing. Rhys looked at Katerina, who seemed equally stunned by what they had witnessed.

"Do... you think it's real?" she asked quietly.

"It's starting to look like it might be," he said. "Go find Lewis and let him know we're back. I need to put the livery away."

She nodded and Rhys went to the Quartermaster's cabin to drop the livery off. He planned on just leaving it at the door inside, but when he opened the door he noticed Katerina's dress folded on the dresser with the pins and jewelry sitting on top of it. He set the livery down, and with a quick motion he took one of the hair pins. No one would notice it was gone.

When he sat with Katerina that evening and they settled for bed, he took the pin out and showed it to her. She cracked a smile as he tucked it in her hair behind her ear.

"You stole it?" she asked.

"I borrowed it," he said. "For an undetermined amount of time."

"Thank you," she said softly.

Rhys leaned back against the wall and closed his eyes to get some sleep, but then he felt another body scoot over to him. He opened his eyes and looked down to see Katerina curled up against him, her head resting against his shoulder. She glanced up at him again.

"It's just a little chilly," she said. "Goodnight, Rhys."

"Goodnight."