Space Criminal and Chillboi

three

Nova was absolutely playing tourist and she didn’t care in the least. The ship was huge and full of crazy things that she was sure didn’t get enough use by the stuffed shirts who typically came on these cruises. Nova had procured herself some kind of ridiculous cocktail that was a shocking shade of fuschia from a bar she’d stumbled across and was now sipping at it delicately as she explored. It had way more fruity stuff than alcohol in it, but she didn’t mind. It tasted delicious and she was only pleasantly buzzed instead of tipsy. She was learning her surroundings and being drunk wasn’t going to help.

So far she had found three pools, virtual reality rooms, a casino, and a shockingly ornate ballroom. The ship was relatively quiet at this time; she was pretty sure there was some puffed up party for puffed up people happening somewhere. Some kind of send off gathering with the captain so the absolute crème de la crème on board could all toast each other for being so fancy and special. Nova had taken advantage of such a distraction to finally free her hair from all the pins she’d stuck into it. The elaborate bun had been giving her a headache. She’d also kicked off the white heeled boots she’d been wearing and was holding them by the laces as she walked. They were really cute but her feet had started to cramp.

She sort of didn’t mind the pink dress though; even with its abundance of rosy lace. It was a more relaxed style than what most of the other women she’d seen were wearing. Between that and her colorful hair she’d received more than a few snooty looks when she’d gone to watch the launch. Nova paused as she came across the entrance for a botanical garden. They’d really just plopped a whole garden in the middle of a spaceship.

“Rich people,” she muttered, taking another sip of her drink. She supposed she couldn’t complain though; she didn’t get a lot of interaction with nature in the slums of Xaria. The last time she’d been in a garden, she’d been hopping the wall around it to dodge the mansion’s guards. The place seemed empty so Nova wandered inside, instantly enveloped in a pleasant floral scent. The garden popped with colors and there were even floral arrangements that looked like planets and mermaids and dancing couples. The women had flowing skirts in beautiful hues. The ceiling was even draped with plants, and green vine chandeliers twinkling with fairy lights.

“Well, if you’re going to spend obscene amounts of money on something, this actually seems worth it,” Nova murmured. She couldn’t stop gawking around in awe. Multicolored lights lit the path as she walked and some glittering holographic butterflies flit past her face. Nova couldn’t help the delighted laugh that escaped her lips. She picked up her pace and ran down the park to chase the butterflies, her bare feet silent against the faux grass floor. She was happily flitting through a topiary menagerie when she rounded a flowering dinosaur and slammed into a broad chest.

Nova let out a soft yelp as she fell on her ass and almost tumbled into the arms of a topiary gorilla.

“Hey, road block, don’t you come with flashing lights and a loud beep to warn people you’re there?” Nova groused, brushing her hair out of her face to look up at whoever she’d run into. She found a guy wearing a surprised expression and a very expensive suit. Nova wanted to kick herself and her big mouth.

“In my defense, I didn’t expect any actual fairies to come charging out of the hedges,” he said. He reached out a hand to help her up and Nova stared at it in surprise for a moment.

“It’s not going to bite,” Mr. Fancy Suit said. Nova reluctantly took it, as if she didn’t quite believe him. He pulled her to her feet.

“At least you didn’t make me spill my drink,” she said. She’d managed to hold up the long flute-like glass her ridiculous pink drink was in and hadn’t spilled any in her undignified tumble. Mr. Fancy Suit studied her for a moment, taking in her bare feet and her unbound hair with its neon highlights. She knew she shouldn’t antagonize someone who was so clearly from the upper stratosphere, but she stared brazenly back at him anyway, in case he was preparing some snobbish remark.

“So what’s your name, fairy girl?” he asked instead.

“Nova,” she said, after a slight hesitation.

“You weren’t interested in attending the captain’s party?”

“I assure you, I am no one important enough to be invited to such an elegant soirée,” Nova replied dryly.

“So you’d prefer to wander around alone in the shrubbery?”

“That’s what you’re doing,” she pointed out, eyeing him warily. Surprising her again, he laughed slightly.

“Yeah, fair enough,” he said. “I’m Jay.”

“Well at least it’s nicer than Road Block.” Nova bit her tongue again, telling herself to stop mouthing off. This guy could probably have her launched into space with a wave of his hand if he wanted to. Something about him seemed vaguely familiar. She continued to stand a little stiffly, and he seemed to notice the way she was watching him like he was a bomb that might explode.

“You know Road Block was actually the backup name my parents picked out,” he said. Nova blinked.

“It must be a family name, then,” she said.

“On my dad’s side.” He nodded, and she allowed herself to crack a tiny smile.

“I guess I should let you get back to your party,” she said.

“Oh, no, you shouldn’t,” he said. She arched an eyebrow at that.

“Well,” she said slowly. “If you want, I guess you can keep wandering in the shrubs with me. Then you can’t sneak up on me and knock me on my ass again.”

He raised an eyebrow at her cursing but looked amused. “I didn’t sneak,” he said mildly. “But sure, I’ll wander the shrubs with you.”

Nova bent to pick up her shoes, which she’d dropped when she fell. “Follow the fairy then,” she said.