Space Criminal and Chillboi

eight

Sorix Delta wasn’t exactly the most glamorous stop on the Utopia’s itinerary, but it has grown popular among the mega rich for being quiet and peaceful. The planet was actually just a small moon with a few clusters of villages, most remembered by its four or five story buildings crammed together in every color of the rainbow. The streets were narrow cobblestone, but littered with cafes and restaurants everywhere.

Nova met Jay outside the ship, after he had escaped Michael and Taylor. Taylor had opted to stay on the ship since he felt Sorix Delta was too hot for him, and Michael was easy to dodge when he got distracted by his shopping.

Having been to Sorix Delta before, Jay let Nova lead the way. They stopped at a few cafes to sample some different pastries. It was kind of cute, the way her eyes were wide and taking in all the sights and sounds. It was clear she had never really traveled before, but Jay had no room to judge. He didn’t really care if she was highly educated or well-traveled.

He was recognized a couple times by workers who had his family’s droids helping them in their shops, and he had to put on his best businessman smile and shake their hands, thanking them for their business. Nova teased him about it every time he made that shift in tone.

“You enunciate your words more,” she said. “And you speak a little louder.”

“I do not have a ‘business’ voice,” Jay grumbled.

“‘Thank you for your business,’” she said, mocking him by standing up straighter with her chest puffed out. “‘The Whitley Corporation would be nothing if it weren’t for our dedicated customers.’”

“Knock it off,” he said, lightly shoving her. “No one wants to talk to a grumpy rich boy with a bad attitude. My great-great-grandfather, Julius Whitley, was just a sanitation worker until he invented a droid to help him and started the company. Even when he struck big, he believed in being humble. I can’t say the same for his descendants, though.”

“Well, you seem humble,” she said.

“I try to be,” he shrugged.

“Then how come you hide who you really are?”

“It’s a lot more complicated than you might think.”

She stopped by a stand of feathery hats, putting a colorful yellow one on her head.

“Hm, I dunno,” she said. “I’m pretty good at understanding complicated things.”

“Maybe someday, when you don’t look like a canary.”

“This is couture,” she said with a dramatic gasp, mocking offense.

She took it off and smirked as someone else approached them.

“Here comes another one of your fans,” she teased. “Is your business voice all warmed up?”

“Shut up.”

The man stopped in front of them and smiled politely .

“Hello there,” he greeted. “I'm looking for someone, I wonder if the two of you can help me."

Nova glanced at James, who was a little confused at the interaction. Even if the man didn't know who Jay was, he and Nova certainly didn't look like locals.

"We're not from around here," Jay told him. "You may want to ask a shopkeep."

"No, I think your lady friend here knows exactly who I'm looking for," the man said. "And now that I know she has an equally valuable little boyfriend, I think you both can help me."

He flicked a small device up in his hand and pushed a button. A small hologram of a mugshot appeared, with an impressive bounty below it. Jay quickly realized that the girl in the mugshot was Nova, though she didn't look so prim and proper in the picture.

"Oh," Jay said, clearing his throat awkwardly. "I don't know who that is."

Well, he made an attempt. The man whipped an electric blaster from his belt and fired a shot towards Nova, but she brought a knee up to throw off his aim. The blast of electricity hit a wall instead and dispersed into the air. The man fumbled to take aim again, but Nova took the feathered hat in her hands and stuffed it in his face. He smacked it away, but while he was sputtering feathers Nova had grabbed Jay's hand and took off on a full speed sprint through the narrow streets.

She ducked down an alley and Jay struggled to squeeze through the same small openings she was running through. He bumped into a side door of a building and found it was open, so he tugged Nova's hand back and they ran into what looked like the back kitchen of a restaurant. Some cooks yelled at them, but they ran up the stairs to the roof and took off running from there.

Going into the building made them lose the bounty hunter, but there was no telling where he could pop up from in such a compact town. The only safe place would be the ship. They ran back to where it was docked, then slowed and tried to look casual as they approached the crew member checking identification for the passengers.

"I need ID, please," he told Jay.

Nova and Jay were both glancing over their shoulders as they took out their IDs and let the crew member scan them. His device clicked green and he smiled at the both of them.

"Now you just need to pass through the security inspection and we can let you back aboard," he said.

Jay noticed Nova flinch and make a soft wincing noise. There was a line for security, and that hunter could find them any second. He wasn't sure why he was helping her in the first place, but something in his gut told him he was doing the right thing. Besides, the bounty hunter seemed interested in him as well.

Jay stepped in front of Nova, putting on his 'business voice' that she loved to tease and glaring at the crew member. The poor man shrunk back slightly.

"Security check?" Jay snapped. "Why would you make us pass through a security check?"

"It's just protocol-"

"You think I have something to hide?" Jay questioned. "Don't you know who I am? When the captain finds out that you treat me like a common criminal. A pick-pocketer. I'm sure he'll be very interested. What's your name? I'm reporting you as soon as I get through security."

"I'm s-sorry Mr. Whitley," the crew member said. "Please, feel free to pass through. I deeply apologize."

Jay gave him a firm nod, then took Nova's hand and tugged her behind him as they boarded the ship again. They both let out a breath of relief, knowing the hunter wouldn't be able to get past the checkpoint easily. He didn't seem like he had much of a plan, anyways.

They ended up in Jay's room again, flopping down onto the couch and taking a few minutes to catch their breath. Finally, Jay turned his head to look at Nova. She looked back at him, seemingly uncomfortable.

"So are you going to tell me who you really are?" he asked.

"I dunno," she said. "Is it going to cause a problem?"

"It's going to cause a bigger problem if you don't tell me."

"Fine."

She stood up and began to pace around the room anxiously, chewing on a fingernail. She looked back at Jay and placed her hands on her hips.

"You have to promise me something," she said. "If I tell you the truth about who I am, you have to trust that it's the entire truth. And you won't sell me out to anyone."

"Alright," Jay said, leaning forward in his seat. "I'll do you one better. You tell me what you're doing–
the whole truth– and then I'll tell you what I'm really doing on this ship."

"Deal."