Love and Misadventure

Twenty-Two

Levi hated the way he had left things with Juliette, but life was making it hard to talk to her and set things straight. Like Henry said, he was hardly able to leave his apartment for groceries without being hounded by the press. He finally found some relief at the exhibit opening when all the findings were finally released, but then Juliette was avoiding him like the plague.

He watched her walk away when she said she needed some air, and his face must have expressed his disappointment because Henry certainly noticed.

"Excuse us," Henry politely told the group of people they were chatting with. "My partner and I have some things we need to discuss."

Levi furrowed his brow in confusion, then followed Henry to a quiet area off to the side. Henry cleared his throat, awkwardly looking at his feet, then back up at Levi.

"Look," he said, "You and Juliette are terrible at hiding things. Truly."

"What?" Levi frowned.

"She thought she was being sneaky, but I saw her leaving your tent that morning," Henry informed him. "It's no secret."

Levi felt his face turn hot.

"We didn't do anything," he said quickly.

"Please," Henry grimaced, waving his hand. "I don't want to know about what you did or didn't do. I just know that you and Juliette are both deflated balloons at a time where we should be celebrating our achievements. What is going on?"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out," Levi admitted. "I'm sorry, Dr. Covington. I didn't want to disrespect you by sneaking around, but Juliette and I had some time alone together and... I don't know, things happened. I was concerned about upsetting you when we told you what was going on, but I think she misunderstood and thought I wanted out. Which.... I don't. With the utmost respect."

"Do you love her?"

"Yes, very much so. I can't imagine a life without her."

Levi startled himself with how quickly he answered, without thinking. He had yet to speak the words out loud. He expected Henry to backhand him, but the man just gave him a fond smile and reached under his shirt to take a chain he was wearing around his neck.

"Then you know what you have to do," Henry said. "Sooner, rather than later. Normally I'd suggest a longer courting period, but I think you two have been through enough together to know."

Levi blinked a few times in surprise when he realized Henry was wearing a diamond ring on the chain around his neck. It was a beautiful piece with a timeless design.

"Sir, is this-"

"My dear late wife's ring," Henry said. "I kept it close to my heart, but it's time for it to move on."

Levi slowly took the ring, his heart threatening to pound out of his chest.

"You really think I'm right for her?" Levi asked.

"If she marries, I want it to be to the man willing to risk his life for her," Henry said. "And I know she feels the same. Go, I'll keep our audience occupied."

Levi nodded and put the ring in his jacket pocket, quickly dodging dinner guests to find Juliette. He finally found her in the astronomy exhibit, thankfully alone. She seemed to notice he was there, but didn't say anything as he sat down next to her. She didn't even turn her head.

"Juliette," Levi said. "Please look at me. I just need a minute."

She reluctantly looked over at him and he gave her a weak smile.

"You look really nice tonight," Levi told her.

"You too," she said dully.

"I know you're mad at me," Levi sighed. "Please, I just want to explain. I never meant to push you away. I was trying to ask you how we wanted to tell your father about us, because I don't think I could ever leave you."

She seemed startled, eyes watery.

"Really?"

"Really," he nodded. "If you want me to leave then I will, but I don't think there's anyone else in the world I could be happy with."

She suddenly grabbed his face and kissed him, almost desperately. He reluctantly pulled away, pressing his forehead against hers.

"Your father knows," Levi told her. "I think you know that too."

"He figured it out quick," she said with a nervous laugh. "Did he give you trouble?"

"No," Levi said. "Actually, the opposite. He's supportive."

She watched in surprise as he moved off the bench and knelt down in front of her. When he took the ring out of his pocket, she choked back a sob in realization that it was her mother's ring.

"We got off on a bad foot," Levi said, "But I think this was just how things were meant to be. And I want to stay with you forever, and see how much further we can go. With your father's blessing, will you marry me?"

"Yes!" she squeaked, throwing herself at him and kissing him.

Her hands shook as she put her mother's ring on, and she laughed when it turned out to be a perfect fit. They stayed there a little while until they were composed enough to go back into the crowd. This time, with Juliette on Levi’s arm. They still wouldn't announce it to anyone, but it would be easy to figure out with the glittering ring on her hand. Levi noticed one man in particular staring, and it wasn't hard to figure out that it must have been the ever famous Grant Norton. Not that he was significant now. Levi just flashed him a smile, which made him scowl.

"What are you looking at?" Juliette asked.

"Nothing," Levi said. "No one. Now, what do you want to do next, Miss Jewel?"

"I don't care," she said with a grin. "As long as I'm doing it with you."