Love and Misadventure

Seven

Final preparations were being made for the boat journey down the Saines River, so they were going to spend two nights in a bustling town that sat near the banks. Juliette stowed her luggage up in her room and then changed into a slightly lighter dress and bounded down the inn stairs. Her father was taking her exploring. It was a shame Levi was going to be with them too, but at least she could easily avoid Captain Fuller. She had managed to not speak another word to him since their encounter in the dining car on the train, and she wanted to go as long as possible without having to even look at him. She was surprised that Levi didn’t seem to like him either, but she wasn’t about to ask him about it. He’d probably just tell her to mind her own business anyway.

“I’m ready, can we go now?” Juliette asked eagerly as she practically skipped to her father’s side. He smiled at her excitement.

“Look at you, with that adventure glow,” he chuckled. “You know you look just like your dear mother, she used to get the same twinkle in her eyes.”

Juliette smiled softly, but she sensed the tinge of wistful sadness under his words. Wanting to keep him upbeat on their journey, she quickly took his arm and led him out of the inn.

“I’ve heard they have delicious coffee here,” she said. “We should find a cafe and try some so we have plenty of energy for exploring.”

Juliette contented herself to look around and take everything in when Henry talked to Levi; any time their conversation lulled she was quick to jump in and ask her father questions or point things out. She was genuinely excited to be there but she was also carefully keeping up a chipper demeanor. If she got quiet and anxious her father would worry about her instead of focusing on why they were here.

They came across a pretty but crowded cafe, and Henry suggested Juliette and Levi collect some drinks while he waited outside.

“I think I just need a moment to rest in the shade,” he said apologetically. “Somewhere along the line I apparently got old.”

“You’re not old,” Juliette told him. “You’re just well traveled.”

Henry laughed. “Thank you, my darling girl. Now go on, you two. I’ll be right here when you get back.”

He didn’t seem to notice that neither of them was enthusiastic to go into the cafe together. Juliette marched ahead, squeezing into the line of people. Levi stood behind her and they didn’t speak until they were able to wriggle up to the counter and Juliette ordered three coffees in perfect Losh. She had a moment of pride when Levi glanced at her in mild surprise.

“You speak Losh?” he asked. “I didn’t know that.”

“Oh, really? I thought you had me all figured out,” Juliette replied, accepting the coffees in their pretty little mugs. She wove through the crowd and found Henry waiting for them at a small table outside. She and Levi sat down and Juliette sipped slowly at her coffee as Henry began discussing Leylan history with Levi. She smiled into her mug at her father’s animated enthusiasm for the subject. As she watched the two of them she noticed that Levi was just as animated when talking about it, and when he wasn't frowning in concentration at his notes or glaring at her with contempt, it was much easier to notice that he had a handsome face and a nice smile. He was clearly as passionate about history and discovery as Henry was, and with reluctance she could admit she saw why Henry liked him.

Then she rolled her eyes and chastised herself. It didn’t matter if Levi also liked history or if he was handsome; he didn’t even want her to be on this expedition with them. He saw her the same way Fuller did; as a vapid, spoiled brat. She stared down into her coffee mug with a frown.

“This could possibly be the only map left in existence that leads to the Temple of Arisha,” Henry was saying. “It’s a wonder if survived at all. Many believe that everything leading to the temple’s location was either hidden or destroyed centuries ago, to keep anyone from finding it.”

“Because of the curse,” Juliette piped up without thinking. It was her favorite story about Arisha. “The Book of Narune said that Arisha’s lover was murdered and given an improper burial. That meant he couldn’t pass on, and was trapped in a sort of purgatory realm. And so Arisha made her priests perform a ritual that was supposed to pull his spirit back to this world so she could have his body laid to rest with her. But instead the ritual killed her and now a curse lies on her tomb. Her spirit is not truly at rest, and won’t be until she’s reunited with the man she loves.”

Juliette had always thought the legend was sad and terribly romantic. She realized Levi had glanced at her while she recited the story and she hastily looked down, suddenly embarrassed. Now he was most likely going to think that she was immature and silly, fascinated by myths about curses and romance. She didn’t know why she should care what he thought, but she was still embarrassed.

“Yes, there is indication that priests helped to hide the temple’s location,” Henry said, nodding. “It’s a fascinating mystery.”

They finished their coffee and continued to explore the town for a while longer, until the sun had set. They made their way back to the inn and Juliette tried to beg off going into the pub next door. No doubt Fuller and his men were there and she didn’t want to sit with them.

“But you must be starving.” Henry frowned. “I can’t possibly let you go off to bed with an empty stomach.”

Juliette had to relent and they went inside, but she steered her father to a quieter table in the corner, away from Fuller.

“I’m just a bit tired,” she explained. “All the walking and excitement.”

Thankfully Henry seemed to believe her and she was spared having to fake politeness with their odious guide all evening. She just had to endure Henry abruptly declaring that he was full and leaving her alone at the table with Levi. She stared after her father in shock. Levi stared down at his plate and a few times it almost seemed like one of them was going to say something but they never did. Juliette finally excused herself and retreated back to the inn, feeling oddly flustered.

The next morning they packed their things yet again and prepared to go down and board the boat that was to take them up the river. Juliette’s eagerness was dimmed slightly by the fact that on the river boat, she wouldn’t have much of a place to hide from Levi or Fuller or any of the others. As soon as they boarded, Henry was with Fuller discussing details of the journey up the river, so she was left to her own devices. With a sigh, she went in search of the least occupied corner she could find and settled in with a book to enjoy the faint breeze as they set off up the long and winding river.