Wood Witch and the Bounty Hunter

Twelve

Ronan seemed to have eased up with Flora since the visit with his family. Not only had it refreshed him, but he was warmer towards her. He even smiled and laughed sometimes. Maybe because his family approved of her, but maybe because he was just letting his ice melt a little bit. Flora had also come to terms with Elise’s betrayal, though it still hurt her to think about it. After spending time with Ronan’s family, it became pretty clear that Elise had never been her sister. She had been a crutch, and Flora had been too naive to realize it.

She knew they had to find and expose Elise if there was any hope of clearing Flora's name, and probably Ronan's name as well. It was likely that she had decided to include him in her sick little game, now that Flora considered him a loyal friend. Ronan paced the inn room while Flora sat on the bed, both of them lost in thought.

"Maybe she has some sort of safe house she went to," Ronan suggested. "Did you guys ever live somewhere special as kids?"

"We were raised in Master Louis' home," Flora said. "We were never allowed to leave, unless we were going to the library. It wasn't exactly a fond memory, though. Very strict and regimented. I doubt she'd be there. Whoever this new master is, she's with them."

"And you don't know any necromancers?" he asked. "Dark magic users?"

"If I did, I'd be dead by association," Flora grimaced. "If I know them, they were hiding too."

"Damn," he sighed. "Then we have no leads."

Flora thought for a little bit.

"Northead is pretty big," she said. "I bet Elise didn't have the only magic shop there. Especially if she abandoned it. Maybe another local would know something."

"It's our only chance," he sighed.

Flora nodded, then started to lace up her boots to go. When she was putting on her cloak, Ronan stepped towards her. He seemed a little uneasy, so she gave him a bright smile.

"Ready to go?" she asked.

"Yeah," he said. "Hey. Are you okay? Things are still kind of... fresh."

"I'm okay," she reassured him. "It hurts, but I've accepted what happened."

"It might be life or death in the end," he warned her. "What I mean is that it might be hard to fight Elise. Will you okay if you saw her die?"

Flora was a bit alarmed at the question and looked down at her feet. She then looked back at Ronan and nodded.

"She needs to be stopped," Flora said firmly. "Even if we have to kill her, we can't let her hurt any more people."

"You have your knife?"

Flora moved her cloak aside to show the knife with a proud grin. He cracked a smile and pulled her hood up on her head.

"Alright. Let's go."

Flora let Ronan do most of the talking, mostly staying behind him and focusing on her glamour spells to keep herself hidden. Eventually they were pointed towards a herbal medicine shop. When they entered the shop, it was hard for Flora to stay focused. There were already several plants she would have purchased for her garden if she could.

The shopkeep came out and greeted them. He was a stout man with a warm smile that made Flora smile in return. He seemed to sense right away that she was also a magic user. There was nothing physical to differentiate them from normal people, but they did have the intuition to find each other.

"Afternoon," Ronan said. "We stopped by the enchantments shop this morning, but it seems it has closed down. We were told that perhaps you could help us."

"Ah, unfortunately I'm not much use with enchantments," the man said apologetically. "I raise plants with magical properties, but I'm rather pathetic when it comes to using magic. I'd rather wait for Elise to come back. The girl is a wonder with her skills."

Flora's hand clenched around the fabric of her cloak, but she stayed behind Ronan to hide her frustration.

"That's unfortunate," Ronan said. "The shop is abandoned. Do you know where she must have moved to?"

"Abandoned?" the man said, brow furrowed in confusion. "That's unusual. Although, she does get invited to the High Mage Banquet every year."

Suddenly Flora poked her head around and looked at him with wide eyes.

"She does?!"

Both the shopkeep and Ronan seemed a little surprised and confused at her reaction. The High Mage Banquet was a very exclusive event, hosted by the high mage council and attended only by hand picked magic users considered to be the greatest at their trade. It was no surprise to Flora that Elisa would be invited with her talents, but every single year? Flora hadn't even been invited once. It was almost insulting.

"Y-yes," the shopkeep stammered awkwardly. "I was going to say, I think it's coming up. Maybe she's gone there. But she'll be back within a week."

"Thank you," Ronan said. "We'll have to return, then. Have a good day."

Flora was still a little lost in thought as they left the shop and ducked into an alley. She was still toying with the fabric of her cloak, lips pursed into a tight line.

"Are you going to tell me about this banquet?" he asked.

"It's this big party the high magi throw every year to celebrate their most talented students," Flora said with a sigh. "It's out in Mirstone. They dress up all fancy and mingle and soak up how successful they all are and how they're better than everyone else."

"You sound a little bitter," Ronan said with an amused look.

"I'm not bitter," she snapped. "I just think it's a little unfair that some people are being invited every year, but I'm still- I mean, some people are still waiting for an invite. Or any recognition, really. It doesn't matter. She won't be attending."

"But you will," Ronan said.

Flora looked at him, then laughed nervously and shook her head.

"Oh no, definitely not," she said. "I need a special invitation. Besides, it's a super fancy event. I'm not a fancy person, if you couldn't tell."

"Think about it," he said. "All the most successful magic users? And they think they're better than everyone? I bet whoever this new master of Elisa's is, she met them at this party. And if neither of them are in attendance, then it'll be easy to ask around and figure it out."

"Did you miss the part where I said it was a fancy party with a fancy invitation list?" Flora scowled. "Also, there is a bounty out on my head."

"That's the easy part," he insisted. "I can find someone to get you on that guest list. And none of those peacocks are going to know about your bounty. It's chump change for them, they don't care."

"Ouch."

"It's just one night," he reassured her. "We'll be in and out of there before anyone has a chance to realize you're not supposed to be there."

"I'm not a fancy person," Flora insisted. "I know I don't like being called the 'witch of the woods', but I dress like I'm a witch that lives in the woods. Look at me, I'm frumpy and I smell like forest."

"You are not frumpy," he said, rolling his eyes. "We'll get you something nice to wear. You're the only one who can do this, Flora. And I'll be with you to make sure you're safe. This might be our quickest way to Elise before she kills more people."

Flora was reluctant, but gave in.

"Fine," she sighed. "We should get going if we want to make it to the banquet in time. If I even make it on that glittery guest list."

"You'll have fun."

"I won't, but it's for the greater good."

"That's a little dramatic."

"Let's just go."